Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ooh, The Horror... My '36 Coupe...

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Enbloc, Jul 9, 2009.

1. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

The car is coming together nicely

2. Nice work Clark. This thread is refreshing. Good to see your using original stuff and not doing the usual 1-800 build ;)
    I'll be watching this thread as the car progresses.

-Shiny

3. It came into Chatham by Kingstown.

Kingstown were actually in the process of moving to the other side of the docks hence why you don't recognise it.

4. verr1908

verr1908
    from england

The blue 36 also is coming along ok the doors close now ,frame is pinched in front , front dropped axle is in, rear end mocked up ,steering box ,brakes master,to fab brackets for ,then try the engine for size ,will post photos soon as i can move the car when i deliver my A sedan to france

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

This one is coming along nicely. Isn't it fun to "reverse engineer" previous cobble jobs just so you can proceed to where you want the build to go? Sometimes I think it would be fun to have some of the early rodders tied to a stake so we could flog the crap out of them for the sins they visited on these old relics. Oh well, I guess it's better to still have them around in somewhat "modified " condition than to have them melted down to make new Hondas.:rolleyes::)

Frank

6. We hit a problem on the rear axle brackets in that when the radius rods were on the axle casings you couldn't get a nut on the end of the bolt that attaches the radius rod to the bracket on the axle.
    This was due again to trying to mate the earlier radius rods to the later larger casings.

What we decided to do was drill out the mounting lugs in the radius rods to the next size up, which in this case was from 1/2 to 5/8 and tap them so the bolt screwed into the radius rod rather than a nut and bolt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Happy with how it came out even if it did cost me a small fortune in taps and drill bits.
    Also went over to a cap head bolt as this was again more compact than a conventional bolt.

[​IMG]

The axle in its final mock up. Finally ready to be tacked together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Started to fully weld the radius brackets on the axle and the gas ran out. :mad:

[​IMG]

To finish off the day now the gas had ran out a start was made on the floor.

[​IMG]

7. Nice to hear an update on the blue coupe. Look forward to seeing pictures.

8. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Great stuff , love 36 3 windows ,I been trying to get the missus to sell her 54 Chevy and get one , think it would go nice with my 34. Keep us posted on your progress.

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Awesome!! Hey how did your front perch bolts come out. I am still working on mine because they are such a pain in the ass. Keep going man!!!

10. I haven't taken mine out. The car came with the heavy axle already fitted to the '36 wishbone.
    I feel for you taking yours apart they are a nightmare!

11. A small update.

With the rear axle ready to go together thoughts have turned to the brakes.

They were in good condition, which was nice so I've had the shoes relined and have welded up the arms so they can be redrilled back to stock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Very nice project there! Missed this thread the first time around. Glad to have you keeping us along!

13. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

Fantastic Clark, really look forward to seeing it a week on Saturday going up the strip.

14. Eeermm... Yeh... I wouldn't hold your breath...

15. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

Nothing like a tight deadline to get you motivated.

Anyway you can always borrow seniors Coupe!

16. and keep all 4 wheels on the ground:D

17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Cool! I got started working on by brakes over the weekend. I have to order up new Wheel Cylinders and such but the rest is in great condition.

Keep going man, you're keeping me motivated!!!!

18. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

Any progress over the weekend?

19. Little bits here and there.

Spend most of the weekend at Beaulieu parts collecting.

Updates later in the week hopefully.

20. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Ahhhhhhhh..... 36 3 window.... would LOVE to have one! :cool:

21. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

that's gonna be a kool ride [​IMG]

22. Looking good Clark
    I bet you missed not having a car this weekend.

23. Yeh your right. Hated it.

It was refreshing to be there but not racing.

24. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Ahhh! '36 Three window. My dream ride.

25. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

Great thread, was following this car from before. I'm building a 3-window from a sedan, a coupe back, and a five window roof right now. I've been to London last year, is that your neighborhood in the pics? Reminds me of Chiswick!!;)

26. Sounds like a great project. Any pictures?

Yes, the pictures are where I'm from in London. I'm East though with Chiswick being west.

27. Most of you are aware of my utter hatred of the Poisies springs fitted to the car.
    I picked up an original front spring at the weekend and this gave me the push to change them back to stock.

To get the car sitting where it should be with the stock springs back on involved reversing the eyes on the main leaf.
    It has been covered many times on this forum on how to do it at home and is a very simple process.

For those that missed it the first time or just plain forgot here's how I did it.

First job is to get the spring apart. A process usually involving cutting and banging.

[​IMG]

The only part needed at the moment is the main leaf.

[​IMG]

Next is to trace the curve of the leaf on to the workshop floor and mark the spring at roughly 2" intervals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You'll now need a sturdy vice and three lengths of rod. I used old king pins, Early Ford of course!

[​IMG]

The rods need be set out as so, so that the single rod pushes the curvature of the spring outwards.
    you want to go just enough to overcome the "spring" in the steel which will allow the leaf to change shape. Too much and it will kink the spring at that point.
    Start in the middle and go one way. When at the end return to the middle and go the other way following the marks made on the spring.

[​IMG]

When one complete pass has been made the leaf should be fairly flat.
    Don't worry about any flat spots and/or unevenness as all your trying to achieve at the moment is the original curve of the leaf but with the eyes reversed.

[​IMG]

Another pass through the vice should get you something very near the final shape.

[​IMG]

Final finishing is to get any flat spots out. This can done with just a hammer or careful placement of the leaf back in the vice.

When the eyes are reversed you'll find that the second leaf and sometimes the third is too long.
    These simply need trimming back and shaping as required.

[​IMG]

The finished spring ready to be painted and fitted.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  28. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

Great tech. Clark, so hows it sitting now?

29. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

glad to see you got the right spring.....

4cyl parts are haunting you!

30. Spring is painted now. Hopefully get it on tomorrow but won't know how it sits for a little while yet. :(

Scary bit is the part wasn't there. It just appeared when the picture was developed. :eek: