Register now to get rid of these ads!

Must have tools for the DIY'er?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by _charles_, Sep 3, 2009.

1. _charles_

_charles_
    from Tampa, Fl

I am going to be tearing apart my 1951 Cadillac Convertible starting in November. what are some must have tools? I do not weld (yet), and I do not do body work (yet), but what are some of the tools that are required to do things yourself (like compressor, etc)? I will be pulling the body off of the frame and starting with the chassis first.

2. i dont think a compressor is a MUST have.
    a good socket set and a breaker bar works wonders.
    an angle grinder helps too.

3. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

Tin snips (straight, left and right). Sandblaster, Welder (110 and 220 mig) Drill press. Body hammers and dollies. AIR TOOLS (die grinders) 90 deg. and Straight. Three and four jaw pullers.

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

a first time list..
    I have gotten alot done with few tools but to make life a bit more easy i will give you my suggestions..(in no specific order)

welder ..(even if you dont, you can learn) at least get one you can tac stuff together so you can take it to a guy that welds
    small 3 or 4 horse compressor is nice to have
    good set of hand tools
    pry bars
    Hammers, and BFH..(Big Fuckin Hammer)
    Good set of matching Jackstands
    Jack or jacks
    some wood blocks
    Vice
    Hand grinder with grinding wheels cutting disc, and wire wheels
    Good drill motor and drills
    torch
    non incandecent trouble light..or lights
    square, and level
    good pair of working gloves
    and safety equipment..like
    Heavy pants, shirts, and goggles and safety glasses, dust masks
    ear plugs
    Fire extinguisher

5. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Extensions ranging from one inch up thru 3 feet. The shortest and longest will both be handy as hell when you need them. I also can't live without flex sockets anymore. Not a universal joint, but actual flex sockets.

And for disassembly specifically, the previously mentioned air compressor and a heavy duty impact wrench. The impact motion will either break the rusted stuff loose or shear it off, thus saving days of labor. Literally.

If you only own one electric cutting tool it should be a die grinder. Get a couple grinding bits for use on iron/steel and a 3"x1/8" abrasive wheel & arbor. The abrasive wheel is an absolute weapon against stuck fasteners in tight spots but use gloves and a faceshield, because it's literally a weapon and the car may decide to use it on you.

Good luck

6. RichG

RichG

A good corded 1/2" drill is pretty much a basic. A set of wrenches and sockets. Basic handtools (screwdrivers, etc.). Sawzall (reciprocating saw) is handy. Allen wrenches. Hammers. Drift punches are a good bet too.

There's a lot more you could put in the list, but start out with what you need to do the job you're trying to do, that way you only buy what you need. Also buy QUALITY hand tools. You can get away with cheap powertools, but a cheap handtool is a waste of money. Craftsman is a good choice for the beginner because of their price and easy return policy in case of breakage (and there will be breakage:D) I use Klein screwdrivers because they're what work best for me, I used them for my work (electrician) and the grips are comfortable.

7. Ask the guys who do on-site fleet maintenance and repair out of trucks.

Basic hand tools
    Oxy-acetylene torch set
    4 1/2 Angle grinder

Add to that as the need arises....

8. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

_CHARLES_ just remember you can never have too many tools. A good socket set and get it with a good case so you can keep track of where they are at . A good screw driver set dont schimp on this One or two pry bars. jack stands and a good jack. if you are under the car use the jack stands. If you are getting ready to tear her apart. sawzall. grinder with cutoff wheel also. A torch or plasma cutter. A plasma is really handy if you can get one or have acess to one. check with local buddies too they may have some stuff that you can use and dont have to buy . It wont take long to figure out what you need. These are all good list . Ive done my engine swap with the basic tools and a few specialty. good luck and enjoy the journey

Todd

9. I see alot of rusty fasteners in your future. Get lots of WD-40, a 1st aid kit and vice grips.

And before you spend any $$ on power tools, get at least one A-B-C FIRE EXTINGUISHER and mount it near the garage door.

10. chopo

chopo

saftey glasses and a good way to put out a fire.

11. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Patience, extinguisher(s), safety glasses, gloves and more patience is a good start.

12. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

No ones mentioned the all necessary beer fridge !!!! This is the utmoust priority for AFTER the day's work is done !!!

13. I agree with this 100%. I would also add a nice big chunk of brass for assistance in welding up small trim holes.

14. This is a given I would think :D.

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

basic hand tools... sockets ratchets, combination wrenches. 4.5" grinder with cut off wheels, flap wheels, etc. pry bars. good set of screwdrivers. sawzall. if you want to save a little you can get an electric impact instead of a compressor that can actually run an air impact.

16. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Besides the normal Sockets, Ratchets, wrenches, pliers, screw drivers get a good floor jack, jack stands, then a compressor with cut off tool(whizzer), impact gun, air chisel, grinder, and a good bench grinder with wire wheel on one end and grinding stone on the other. Dril press comes in handy as well.

Alomnost forgot for heavy lifting you will need an good engine hoist and engine stand for the engine, dont skimp on these two.

17. poseur111

poseur111

Gibbs brand penetrant, for me has been like a time machine in a spray can.

18. Amazing what you can do with very little,
    I tend to use the same half dozen good quality wrenches over and over,
    I have bought a few things off the snap-on man down the years,
    simple stuff like 'cam action' grips which have paid for themselves ten times over.

19. 1. Liquid wrench - soak over night
    2. Safety Glasses
    3. Quality Breaker bar and sockets
    4. Air will be necessary for death wheel and DA sander - later in the game - do mechanical first
    My MG was underwater for a while and these were all necessary
    http://picasaweb.google.com/MotorsportsComposites.com/MG?feat=directlink

20. r8odecay

r8odecay

Impact and IMPACT SOCKETS and IMPACT extensions. The #1 most valuable tools in my Cad disassemblies...

21. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

A friend with a lot of knowledge.......and a torch.

22. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

A nutcracker, butter knife and a good size rock. I think the list would be shorter what don't cha need.

23. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

Hammer n fire extinguisher

24. Harry Bergeron

Harry Bergeron
    from SoCal

Hunks of metal and big blocks of wood, 4X6, 4X8, 6X10 and up. Start looking now, at job sites and demo sites, they call them "cut-offs".

Same with misc. hunks of aluminum and steel. Those old school computer printers have a long stainless rod in them that makes a handy punch.

5 or 6 inch vise, 4 in. isn't really big enough for a lot of things.

25. Johnnyzoom

Johnnyzoom
    from Florida

2'-4' pipe to put over breaker-bar. If you're not ready for a torch, a $20 paint heating gun and PB Blaster (fire extinguisher at ready) can do wonders on stubborn rusted bolts.

26. ApacheA

ApacheA

Lots and lots of PB Blaster(Walmart sells it two bucks cheaper than the auto stores.)

Or, if you want to spend the cash, buy a case of Kroil: http://www.kanolabs.com/google/

One thing to not have around is yer dame, as you, in an inevitable bout of pure frustration, will get her nice and mad at ya.

27. junkcad

junkcad
    from nashville

bench grinder with a wire brush on one side

28. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Drill press
    welder
    grinder
    Hack saw
    Torches

nice big solid vice

VISION,,and the will to make it work

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  29. I use a tap and die set all the time, Corded 1/2" drill, 4 1/2" grinder, socket set, combo wrenches, BFH, Good screwdriver set, good set of dill bits. Full face shield (not just safety glasses) ear protection. I use a jig saw and a sawzall a lot.

And big ass vise for sure.

30. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Big box of band-aids. :p