Register now to get rid of these ads!

California hambers, need you help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olskool34, Sep 3, 2009.

1. olskool34

olskool34

Hey guys/gals. I found a barn find out Riverside and posted pics of it here, some of you may remember the thread, it's a 29 model a coupe. Anyway, the guy said he had turned in the title to the dmv to get it in his name about three weeks before I got it from him. I have had the car for about a month now and still no title. He says it takes awhile in California. Here in Michigan you get your title in about two weeks. How long does it take in Cali?? I'm starting to get worried that there is no title. Is this story truthful? Does it really take two months out there to get your titles back? Please tell me how long it took to get yours.

2. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

It took me about a month. However, California DMV is usually 3 months behind. I went through AAA.

3. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

The CA DMV is very slow took almost 2 months the last time. It's so much better to use AAA out here.

4. I have got titles as quick as 2 weeks and as long as 2 months. depends on the workload. And with our mandatory Furlough days for DMV workers they are further behind than usual.

5. Have him send you a copy of the reciept for the funds paid to DMV to prove he's applied for it.

6. bava17

bava17

just took me 8 weeks to get tags, registration and pink slip for a '64 Impala that had not been registered since '84.

after 6 weeks you are supposed to call the DMV in sacramento (maybe different for so-cal) and check on the progress.

after 6 weeks i called sac. i got the "we have no record of your car" deal. said i needed to go back to the DMV office where i went the first time and ask them.
    then i told the guy that i was trying to use the original black plates that came with the car.
    he then gave me the "special plates division" (or something like that) and they didn't have any record of anything either.

the lady called me back the next day and said her co-worker had "just finished my paperwork" and that it would be mailed out shortly.

if i hadn't have called, what would have happened?
    i received the tags and registration in the mail about a week later. then the pink slip came in about another week.

i luuuuuuuv the CA DMV.

7. f100kid

f100kid
    from So-Cal

it took three months for my uncle to get plates and tags for a (then new) chevy silvirado. my moms suv took 1 month to get plates and tags. so the california dmv takes way to long.

8. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

the receipt idea is a good one,...have him scan a copy or something.

and it took about 2 weeks but i used AAA too. its worth the lowest membership just for the towing, lockout service, and DMV stuff.

9. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Last time I filed for a title a couple years ago with a bill of sale it took a couple-three weeks.

My experience is that people are notoriously slow to send these things in, and considering the furloughs and whatnot anything is possible.

Besides, if you don't get a title from him, it's only $150 to get one throu ITS or whatever.

"the guy said he had turned in the title to the dmv to get it in his name about three weeks before I got it from him"

this sounds like classic car story telling. If you're truly worried about this just ITS it and call it a day. It's not like someone is going to show up at your doorstep and claim your car.

10. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

I've titled several cars in the last year here in Ca, so far none of them took more than a month. I live in the Sacramento area though, so it cuts down on mail time. Fastest one was 2 weeks, I think the slowest was 4.

One of the cars I titled was a similar story from the "owner", he had applied for the title blah, blah, blah, still waiting. I waited over a month (in addition to the month he said he was already waiting) and got the run around from him until I went to the DMV myself. Turned out the car wasn't in his name :mad:. Fortunately I was able to get the title transferred, but only after a bunch more paperwork and time. I guess the moral of the story is that the DMV may not be your problem.

11. 53chevy

53chevy

DMV is slow. I did YOM for my '60 Pontiac (1st time in February), was sent wrongs tags and still waiting (2nd time in May). Also with the addition of '63 plates for YOM and the furloughs have made it tough for a decent turn around. Good Luck

Ken

12. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

I recently registered some dirt bikes and got both titles on the same day one week later.

13. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

First car I regestered in CA when I moved here took 6 months to get sorted ( and that was a fairly new car)....there was a screw up at the DMV but it took me to point that out to them. It can easily take 2 months and quite often three plus........

14. ??? when I got the wagon reg. it had been out of the system for about 15 years, once I got all the paper work correct, vin verification etc. took it to the DMV and I left with my new tags, and registration, I recieved the "pink' about 2 weeks later, cost me about $65. I guess some times ya get lucky...

15. skullhat

skullhat

thats what id do......then the dmv ,or aaa can stop the process and mail one to you in your name.

having the title isnt as important as the dmv's computer thinking that its your car, lol

the guys not out of line with the time factor though

skull

16. plan9

plan9

also..... california DMV lost one day of work because of budget cuts... they work 4 days a week instead of 5... its gonna take time.

17. LaidoutRivi63

LaidoutRivi63

Wheres this barn? i live in Riverside, Think he needs some broken legs! ahahaha! be patient, anything not through triple a can be a nightmare

18. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

It took damn near 3 month to get a title for my 1996 Chevy Pickup daily driver. I went through AAA so I had a registration with my name on it when I left AAA, but titles are generated through the DMV and with furlough days because of the budget crunch they have gotten even more backed up...

19. "please take a number and have a seat!":rolleyes: they were always prompt in the past but with the cut backs to 4 days a week it won't be long before someone goes "postal" at the dmv. bought a truck down there 5 months ago and lots of pissed off people:eek:!

20. olskool34

olskool34

I know the car had the black plates on it and he was trying to title it with those. He had the car for only a week before selling it to me, his wife didn't want it!!! Maybe that is why it is taking soooooo long. I just wanted to drive this thing this year and in Michigan, my cars usually go in the garage by october to sleep. Bummer.

21. Harry Bergeron

Harry Bergeron
    from SoCal

Just in case, have a friend call up and ask if the car's for sale.
    You'll find out right quick if he's up to something.

22. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

Hey it's a cantaffordya thing DMV I think is draggin there asses to get sympathy for there plight My brother works for the state n with the days of n pay cuts it cost's him over $700 bucks a month Just be patient n wait sometimes you have to do a paperwork explanation for everything and it can get messy too. Can you get a temp from your state till the title shows up?

23. 53Bowtie

53Bowtie
    from West Coast

I just got a 52 Chevy 3100 and it took me about 3-4 weeks to get the title

24. DRAGULA54

DRAGULA54

i just went threw that situation with a title of a car couple weeks ago they tell you 30-60 days and i thinkin it will take at least the full 60

25. zephyrV12

zephyrV12
    BANNED
    from pomona ca

it takes one week with the right person