Register now to get rid of these ads!

What Makes A Blower Whine...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 345 DeSoto, Sep 2, 2009.

1. I've heard that it's the belt either too loose or too tight, worn drive gears, air rushing through the carbs, etc, etc. Does anybody know for sure?...

2. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

If I had to guess I'd say it's the drive gears for the rotors making most of the noise, kind of like the sound a gear drive for a cam makes.

3. can't se it being a loose belt..my baby blower was brand new..weiand has a spring loaded tensioner and it's a stick prick.....rotors???i do know that when i put my foot in it, it would get louder..:cool::cool::cool:.... more air gettin stuffed????:confused::confused:

4. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

the technical answer:
    lot of shit moving around in there

5. Al Napier

Al Napier
    from Central CT

The toothed belt (when interfacing with the pulleys) creates the whine, similar to what happens with straight cut gears.

You can minimize it if you'd like with some strategic drilling, but why would we want to? :)

Al in CT

6. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

i dont care what causes the noise, i just like it.

7. Periah Bon3s

Periah Bon3s

yeah no kidding, not to mention its spinning at some outrageous rpms. what is it like 16k or maybe more?

8. roddinron

roddinron

Holding her by the ears.:D

9. onedge

onedge

gears a spinning moving all the induction. it's a great noise!

10. Bullrack

Bullrack
    from Louisiana

It's the drive gears that makes them whine. Stop and think for a minute, where did the first blowers come from? Detroit diesel engines, right? Well, a Detroit diesel engine did not use a belt at all anywhere in the system and they whined too. So, what was the common factor? The drive gears are the answer. Steven.

11. Brahm

Brahm

My blower whined right out the box, and when I got had it Teflon stripped it whined even louder. I think it's just the noise the gears make, just like a loud "gear" drive instead of a chain.

12. 50stude p/u

50stude p/u

Most roots blowers have straight cut gears that turn both rotors. Thats what makes the noise. Same as a gear driven cam.

13. steal32

steal32

Had An 8-71 On a312 in a 55 ford pu With a holley 3 bolt carb in side and 2 holley 600's on top (butterflies removed) no roters no gears with a 1/2 pitch 3" wide gilmer belt at 29% over and the s.o.b. whinned at idle

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

lol..dam he beat me to it:rolleyes:

or maybe his grip is too tight down there:eek:

15. split51

split51
    from guthrie ok

Now that is funny...........LMAO :rolleyes:

16. skullhat

skullhat

onw of the best ive seen in a while lol

17. squirrel

squirrel

That's it.

GMC blowers have helical gears (that's why you can time the rotors by shimming the gears), the gears are quiet.

18. Tony

Tony

This is pretty much the bulk of it.
    Thats why there is a different tone to the "while" depending on if you have an 8mm belt, 1/2 pitch cogged belt or very little noise with multiple V-belts.

Drilling the hole's as Al mentioned will alter/quiet it down if someone wanted that..

19. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, the belt makes most of the noise. If your belt is tight it will be louder than if it is loose...BUT, a tight belt is harder on your front main bearing.

Ask Kerry how much noise his makes...he has 3 V belts instead of a toothed 8mm or Gilmer.

-Abone.

20. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

roddinron... The best.:D

21. Bullrack

Bullrack
    from Louisiana

Not trying to argue here, but what makes them whine on a Detroit diesel engine? I listen to one everyday and it sure does have mucho whine. It's not a Gilmer belt whining on this one because the blower is mounted to the side of the engine and runs on gear drives. Steven.

22. I Drag

I Drag

What makes your meat loaf?

23. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I'd always heard they whine if you don't pay 'em...

24. Tony

Tony

If i had to guess, it's either the gear drive system that turns it, or the style/cut of gear that is in the drive assembly that's making the noise you are hearing.

25. Bullrack

Bullrack
    from Louisiana

10-4 I do admit they seem to have more whine with a belt setup. I've always chalked it up to the gears. I learn something everyday. Steven.

26. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I know on the old 3 in drive deals it use to be the air trapped between the belt and pulley's. The gears were helical cut no noise. Now it's boost on a big show car. Hi Al!! Lippy

27. The drive gears make some noise. The rotors make most of it. Go to the far end of the strip and listen to blown alky or gas dragsters. When they open the throttle and the rotors are loaded with back pressure and the air fuel mixture, that's when things get interesting. Everything on a blower setup contributes to the sound. At full throttle, the rotors are the main offender.

28. Tony

Tony

This was told to me by BDS when i was setting up the blower on my old coupe..Just about word for word. I ran a 3" Gilmer drive on mine..It was LOUD.

29. RichG

RichG

The gears at speed, and it's the best damn sound in the world. I grew up around Clark Skidders running DD's at full rap, and it still makes me all warm and fuzzy to hear 'em!

30. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like others have said, its the gear drives, the rotors and the toothed belts. The tighter the belt the louder the whine. I knew a guy back in the 80s that would take a couple of spare belts one size too small for the setup and put one on at whatever event he was at. Had to unbolt the blower, tip it to get the belt on then someone stood on the blower while it was bolted back up.
    That son of a bitch whined like nothing else!

Doc.

Baron likes this.