Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wake up ! It's time, Sept 2009 Banger meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brjnelson, Sep 1, 2009.

1. brjnelson

brjnelson

I have been lurking for the last few months, haven't posted lately.

The Iowa FAST Speed Meet is in less than 2 weeks, Saturday Sept 12, 2009.
    If you are anyplace close to NE Iowa, you should stop by and see us run.

I need to tune my Winfield head and carb, the car runs out of steam when I shift into 3rd, it pulls hard in 1st & 2nd, it may be starved for gas, need to sort it out.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  2. Piewagn

Piewagn

Disturbing noises......they come and go, sometimes for days, or every third cruise! I still don't think I've downloaded all those files in my head yet!:D Then.....here comes another one! She's runnin' great though!

Attached Files:

3. Well, I hate to announce to all y'all that this winter I'm going to pull the atock A out of my roadster and dump a V8 in it ;)

OH THE HORROR!

Don't worry though, that means I'll have a spare running engine/tranny to go into something else :D

[​IMG]

4. Good banger day today...

Got my shaft and torque tube in, roll pin and gasket. Messed with the Phaeton a little, and the cat caught a mouse. Good day!

Oh, I also took the V8 sedan out for nuts and bolts and ran out of gas near the beach... good time wasted.

Attached Files:

5. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Dirty, that Phaeton is rad. And that cat looks damn proud haha

6. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

Taking the Banger 28 roadster to the NSRA Kalamazoo show next weekend.Had a knock that turned out to be a bad cam gear. It made me pull the pan and to my relief everything looked near new on the bottom end. Wonder if any other Bangers are going to be there?
    The 30 coupe is coming right along. Just installed a T rear spring with two leafs removed and waiting for the UPS man to deliver a Socal speed shop reverse front spring to install.

7. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

Bill, I will measure that Winfield head when I have it back in my hands. It is sitting on a bench at Ron's Machine Shop waiting for some TLC. Next time I go up I will try to take some pics of the 4 intake port banger that they built for Bonneville, it is awesome!

Doing some market research - would anybody here be interested in a fiberglass reproduction of a Whippet grill shell?

Thanks,
    Will Kimble
    www.kimblemandolins.com

8. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Depends on the price Will, I'll run run if you do...... You need to make a trip down one afternoon, and show me how to tune this animal..... I will buy first and last round, and might even throw in a Bourbon House Pizza if your lucky, they are the whip!

9. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

Brought the Roadster to the media blasters on monday and she's ready to be picked up already!
    Heading straight to the body shop tomorrow with some new sheetmetal to be welded in place and start thinking about a color.
    While she's getting some work done i'll roll the chassis into the garage for a fresh coat of paint to get ready for when the body comes home.
    All new blocks, bolts and rubbers are ready and waiting for it all to come together.

10. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

cool flathead 4 for each side :D

11. Here is what i have been working on for the last few months. Needs glass in the chopped screen frame and some wiring work done........then its going up for sale, need the room and the cabbage :(
    The tyres have been flipped around since this pic, needed blackwalls in my eyes :)

Covers 042.jpg

Covers 046.jpg

12. Piewagn

Piewagn

Jeez Joe.......it's about friggin' time!! :D
    Way ta go man!!

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Humanfly, that thing is awesome! I like the WW but black is just as good.

14. Piewagn

Piewagn

Ooohhh.....nice! How do ya like that Lion Speed Head??

15. Piewagn

Piewagn

Ok......while I'm on the subject of the Lion Head, some guys have told me I will destroy my bottom end. Is this true? I just run the thing, I ain't racin'! Are these things really that hard on the babbit??

16. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Hey brjnelson I was looking at one of your old pm's trying to figure out what weekend it would be. I have been wanting to check it out for the last few years. Either there or the Greefield swap for me.

17. Piewagn

Piewagn

Anybody see one of these?? It's the unit in my Tudor. All I can get it to do is "freewheel" when engaged, there is no engine braking. It coast really good. It has 2 levers with cables that go to it. Does this thing have another gear? Am I not using right??

Attached Files:

18. Hey everyone. Never posted in the banger meet before, but I run a banger so I guess I can. Nothing fancy, mostly stock with the exception of a "B" carb, straight pipe and modern points & condensor. I blew up the rear end last week, swapped it out for another one on the weekend. While I was at it I put in a T spring, took four leaves out of the front spring and put a new rubber ball on the end of the wishbones. Its amazing how much better it rides with the T spring.

[​IMG]

The roadster in front of mine belongs to my friend Matt ("pariodperfect" on the hamb). He had a full race banger in it. In the last two months he has shattered a piston, rebuilt it, then one week later bent his crank and cracked all his main caps. As of now he just a stocker in it with an zepher intake and a header. He's building another full race B block for it now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. It works fine, to be honest i have not done that many miles in it yet, as when i got the car the engine was done and i had to re-style it and just blew it apart.

20. brjnelson

brjnelson

Sadly, the speed meet is Saturday the 12, the Greenfield Swap is 3 days 11-13, there are a few banger guys that have not been to the Flat hill climb, they will not miss this swap, I have heard that it is a very good swapmeet.

21. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

Is the saturday Speed Meet open to everyone?
    Its in Northwood, Right?
    I can be there but not with the A, I would love to go.
    Cost?

Jeff

22. alchemy

alchemy

I think I tell you (and that old quickchange guy) the same thing every time I see you. You need to change the date. Just one week later, maybe?

23. Getting closer
    [​IMG]

24. dudley32

dudley32

Jimmy B.....more pics......

25. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

Chris the flattie will be great. Jalopy kid nice car. Now a question for you experts. My car is running a stock A engine with a rebuilt Zenith. It seems to go flat on the top end and back fires when I shift gears. Any ideas?

26. Not an expert but check the timing/points that would be my first thing to look over. Last months banger meet had a decent explaination of timing the stock banger/distributor. Second I would check for a vacuum leak.-Weeks

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  27. titus

titus

heres my banger project, got the B banger from a buddy about a year ago, the guy i got it from said he was told it was supose to run, so what do ya do? get it running while its sitting onthe shop floor, she ran ok, had a sticky valve, so i freed that up and it ran ok, ill do a valve job on it before i run it more. i didnt really have a home for the motor, but i picked up a b car trans for it a while back too, so i new it would find a home in a 32 chassis of some sory, well a few weeks ago i ran across this orignal framed brookville 32 roadster and had to have it, so i drug it home and bolted the trans to the motor and swung her into place, ill mock it all up and then pull it all back apart to clean and detail later, but plans are for basicaly a stock 32 B roadster, fenders maybe.

JEFF

Attached Files:

28. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Jeff glad you found a home for the B. Disappointed that I didn't get it.. ha ha ha

Cool project that is for sure.

29. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

evojoe,

Who did you take your roadster to to get blasted? Where are they located?