Register now to get rid of these ads!

How much chop for a '34 Ford tudor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kirk Hanning, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I started off with a rusted out hulk of a 34' Ford tudor. I've channeled the body 6" which entailed raising the fender wells to do it. It looks good and flows nicely, now it looks I'll be chopping it this weekend after the floor is fabbed up.

I don't want to go crazy but I'm not sure if 2" is enough and I don't want it to look like a submarine either! So if possible post some pics with the amount chopped.

Thanks in advance
    -Kirk

2. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

How about some pics of what your channel looks like?

3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

This much chop is just about right ... for SOME Hambers :rolleyes:
    And not enough for others :(

4. TERPU

TERPU

ZERO! those cars are perfect as is. Just my 2C. Do what you like but for goodness sake do alot of research, you are messing with perfection. Go easy.

good luck,
    Tim

5. lowelife

lowelife

Not quite enough, Ican still see a windshield!

6. converseandbowlingshirts

converseandbowlingshirts
    from Eugene, OR

none. I love channel + no chop.

7. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I knew that I shoulda posted some pics on what I was working with. This body started out & still is really rough so anything would be an improvement. So I guess that I'm saying that it is getting "whacked" just not sure how much.

I do like the "Bonneville chop" on a 3 window but I also know it'll look like a submarine really fast. I was thinking more like 2" but would like to see some examples first.

-Kirk

Attached Files:

8. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

Please note that in the previous pics that the body has to come forward another 2" bringing the back down another 1". The firewall was caved in when doing the initial tranny tunnel so when straightened out I'm into the hemi heads by an 1". Oops...my bad!

-Kirk

9. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I agree with the channel no chop approach. When you do both, the ability of an average height man to sit in it becomes compromised. I'm 6 feet and barely fit in my four inch chop no channel 3 window.

10. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

Fortunately for me I'm 5' 8" 185# = perfect height for chopped channeled cars. My 34' pick up is chopped 4" and channeled 6" and is a comfy ride for me. I know that I could go radical with the chop on my sedan seeing that a large cowl = more legroom & room behind the seat. I just don't want it looking like a submarine.

-Kirk

11. klazurfer

klazurfer

fwiw : This is ca. 2.5" Chop . ( click image 3times to see big version )

Attached Files:

12. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

That 2 1/2" chop looks very good. Too me everything looks proportional (almost stock, not like a phone booth). It doesn't look as low as I would've anticipated for 2 1/2". Perhaps 3" or 3 1/2" may be what I'm aiming for?

-Kirk

13. F&J

F&J

Not talking a specific make or model, but be careful going "an inch or so more". You'd be surprized how the look in a certain window or panel may look terrible.

Windshield openings are really affected by it, because usually the W/S is much shorter than side glass.

14. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

2 to 2.5 is great,too many cut the crap out of a top thinking that looks best and just looks bad to any one that has driven very far in a over chopped top thats hard to drive cus of poor unsafe view and bad seating from it.
    Many of these same guys that over chopped it would love to have it higher but are too proud to say so and live with it,being very hard headed as some rodders are they'll say it's not to low.:eek:
    Things that work well look cool:cool:

15. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

Not channeled but I think we chopped this one about 3 1/2"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Kinky6

Kinky6

Check this out from the So-Cal website, 2 1/2" chop:

Attached Files:

17. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

2 3/4 inches

windshield is exactly 8 inches high

[​IMG]

18. Camm

Camm

2" chop and very little channel:D

19. That is a very good looking channelled Tudor, and I don't say that often! I vote for around 3" and maybe thin the crown above the 1/4 windows.

20. hotrodgary

hotrodgary

I think 2 - 2 1/2" looks best on a 33-34 sedan personally.

Kirk, start at 2 and see what ya think, you can always trim some more out easier than you can add to it!

I gotta get over there and see it... and bring your dash back:)

-Gary

21. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Wack the crap out of it. Just remember, If ya cut it twice and it's still too short, you're screwed.

22. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

There was 34 tudor for sale here some time ago, and it was chopped 4" - bitchin!!!

pics are on home 'puter.

I think it was R.C. who was selling it.

23. rodncustom

rodncustom

That car is awesome!

24. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Kirk

Looking at the 2 3/4 chop on the red car with fenders. My 2 cents are that would look great on yours with the channel.

:D

25. oil'n'rust

oil'n'rust
    from NewZealand

some one say "don't chop it", hell change rest homes, they're screwing with your meds

26. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

To my way of thinking a perfect chop for a '33/'34 is 3", but that's with no channel. Maybe with the channel a 2-2 1/2 would be just right. Like someone said, cut it 2" and stand back and take a look.

Frank

27. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

Thanks for all the input so far.

I've started fabbing in the floor today, hopefully I'll have the rest done before the weekend. If so you all know what I'll be doing!

I mounted in the bench seat that I'll be using and holy smokes is it HUGE in there in comparison to my pickup (34 truck 6" channel 4" chop). As said earlier my pickup isn't uncomfy at all for me to drive. It's leaning towards the 3" haircut. I really like the 2 1/2" chop because it looks vey proportional, so much that 2 1/2" doesn't appear to be chopped at all.

28. harmony-h62

harmony-h62

I know nothing about this car. I saved the picture, because I think this car is bad ass
    [​IMG]