Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is there an Easy way to remove Tint in the windows?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GEORGIADAWG, Aug 30, 2009.

1. GEORGIADAWG

GEORGIADAWG

There is Tint in the side and rear window and a strip along the front window. I want to get the tint off and was wondering if there are any tricks to get it off without any damage to the windows?

2. hot rust

hot rust

peel the plastic film away from the glass i usually use a single edge razor blade to start removing it then the rest by fingers after it is removed spray the glue down with windex and then carefully use the blade to remove the glue.

3. DrJ

DrJ

I'd try lifting a small spot with a razor blade enough to then try to get some air under it with an air hose.
    Don't use too much pressure, just enough...

Wife bought some stuff called D-Solv-it (that smells a lot like kerosene) that gets under labels and loosens the glue... That might work too.
    If ya gotta resort to using a razor blade, use several new sharp ones and toss them the instant the start to "chatter".

4. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

maybe a heat gun/hair dryer to soften the glue to help peel it away?

5. I removed the old window tint on my 1950 ford coupe with a razor blade , weny a lot easier than I thought it would. I was told a while back to use a stainless steel blade by a auto glass installer , with a lot of experience , to avoid scratches on the glass. That is all i use now ,good luck,,,,,,

6. genti1ma

genti1ma
    from Michigan

High quality window cleaner, mostly the foam type. Just peel off tint. Spray on. Let sit and the residue just falls off. Remove rest with razor blade and 00 steel wool

7. DrJ

DrJ

Does anyone make a heat gun that gets hotter than the interior of a car in Phoenix, (or Georgia) in August is already, that won't melt the glass that is? ;):D:cool:

I think the stuff is made to stand up to heat, short of melting or burning it off that is.

8. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

Heat gun, razor blade, to remove tint. windex and a razor blade to remove the glue residue

9. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

Ammonia will dissolve the glue....

10. 6berry

6berry

i dont think a heat gun or hair dryer will work because thats how the tint is installed

11. aceuh

aceuh

I used a tint remover that came in a spray bottle that I picked up at Auto Zone a few years back...no idea if they still sell it or not.

12. x2........

13. GEORGIADAWG

GEORGIADAWG

A lot of good things for me to try. Thanks guys

14. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Ammonia will dissolve the glue, but if it's old tint you better have some elbow grease ready. After untinting hundreds of windows in preperation for new film I prefer solvents, they're 5x as fast. Good old fashioned wax and grease remover, or thinnner, or even aerosol brake clean or carb clean works in a pinch. Windex is completely useless. Good luck!

15. MEK !!!! Hottest reducer, and available at home improvement stores. (be sure to read the label and follow all safety precautions!)

16. aus55

aus55
    from down under

park it in the sun for a while. pick a corner and it should peel off in large pieces then clean up with an ammonia based window cleaner

17. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it's factory tint, isn't that done using actual tinted glass? If that's what it is, no amount of cleaner/dissolver/sandpaper will do much good.

18. Just watched a professional do mine a couple of weeks ago. He has been doing it for over 25 years and does 20-25 cars per week.

The way he did the gasser was to peel the old green window tint off which then obviously left all the glue. He then took a commerical pump spayer full of water mixed heavily with Joy dishwater soap and sprayed the window glass (one at a time), using lots of it.
    He then used a single edged razor blade to scrape the glass and had the glass completely clean in less than 2 minutes for each piece of glass. He also used and fresh razor blade for each piece of glass he was doing.

He peeled, stripped, and applied new film to the side windows of the gasser. Then applied window film to the side glass and back window of Sue's Grand Prix.
    He was only at the house for 1 hour 45 minutes.

19. rollinlow&Slow

rollinlow&Slow

20. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I did the Ammonia thing, also had a black trash bag inside the door to retain the heat. Spray the film, trap the bag in the door and let the heat do it. Peels right off ;)

21. humpie

humpie

I have tried everything mentioned and the best thing i found was oven degreaser.I wish i had some of that glue.Is it the same glue that holds plastic bags to the fence?:D

22. onedge

onedge

title to post says "remove Tint in the windows" ... and your talking about aftermarket window tint film. too early for me.

23. GEORGIADAWG

GEORGIADAWG

Im asking about removing Tint from my 48 ford F1's windows. They didn't put tint IN the windows then so as most everyone on here understood i was reffering to tint ON the window.

24. timmer50

timmer50

Start in the middle of the window and cut a small area of the window film out. Working from there to the edge lifting an edge and pulling the film back on itself (kinda like lifting masking tape after painting) with a sharp tug. Then use a cleaner like the stuff that Wally-world sells n the automotive department. It is an 8 oz. bottle of "Window Tint Adhesive Remover" Just spray on, let it soften the adhesive and use a razor blade to scrape off. Not much effort needed. I just did the windows on my 1979 Malibu.

timmer50

25. 30on32

30on32

Take a black plastic garbage bag and cut it open. Place the bag on the outside of the window, and cut it to the shape of the window.
    Get a spray bottle with water in it or 409 works as well. Wet the inside of the window. Place the garbage bag on the inside of the window, and work it into shape. Smooth the bag onto the widow, leaving no air bubbles. Think of it as tinting your window with a garbage bag. Leave the car in the sun for an hour or so. This loosens up the glue. Start to peel it off. You can also do it in a garage, with heat lamps (be careful, the window can be easily overheated and break). As you start to pull the tint, make sure you are not leaving the "hazy" bottom layer. It should pull clean from the glass. If it does not, it is not hot enough. If you leave the "hazy" bottom layer on the glass, good luck. That layer is the glue layer.

The method I sescribed is the method that I used in a tint shop to remove tint from rear glass with defroster. I have removed many tint jobs and the defroster was fine.

Amonia based cleaners will "fade the tint" and clean windows well. It is my experience that Amonia based cleaners will not permeate the layers of tint and soften the glue.

26. devilleish

devilleish

If not, O'Reilly still does. Just look for the window tint and it's on display right there with it.

27. GEORGIADAWG

GEORGIADAWG

Now that's what im talking about answering a question. Thank you for the info. That sounds easy enough.