Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Studebaker Custom Prototype Body, lets find it a home

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by michiganman061, Jul 26, 2009.

1. michiganman061

michiganman061
    from Michigan

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  2. Stude-sled

Stude-sled

Love it!! I hope it gets saved.

3. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Wow thats amazing. You can clearly see the direction they were going in. Somebody please save this thing.

4. stiffler

stiffler
    from Michigan

5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I remember reading that article about the prototypes and do you know if there are any still there or were all of them saved.

6. Pretty sure that all the good prototypes - this, the '50 wagon, and a couple others - were saved, all that was left was tire testers and other leftovers.

Boy that's an odd looking thing, it looks more like a full size tin toy knockoff of a '53 Stude than an actual car.

7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I did remember seeing a neat cabover body in the pics.

8. Give it to Jim Sibley, he will have it on the road in about 30 days if folks dont bother him!!!

9. michiganman061

michiganman061
    from Michigan

Back in 1969/70, this prototype and one other were removed (a prototype fiberglass wagon). In about 1980, the remains of a very rough woody wagon was removed. That is all to my knowledge. The fiberglass wagon has in MIA for the last 25 years. The woody wagon removed in 1980 is slowly being restored, then will be on display at the Studebaker National Museum.

The rest of the cars were left there at the proving grounds, and still remain there to this day, though after exposure to the elements,none are worth remotely saving. They make my super-rough prototype removed in 1969 look like high quality. The old Studebaker Proving grounds is now owned by bosch. This past spring, I was one of a couple individuals that 'officially' were let into the gaveyard for the first time since the early 1980's. Pictures I took of the graveyard this spring can be found here:
    http://s483.photobucket.com/albums/rr196/1957hk7/

10. InPrimer

InPrimer

As an owner of a '52 Land Cruzer and a Stude fan, I'd love to see someone resurect it.

11. F&J

F&J

Are there any drawings or pics of what it was supposed to be when finished? and, was it ever finished?

12. it actually doesnt look to be in that bad of condition considering its history. Hope somebody saves it.

13. michiganman061

michiganman061
    from Michigan

It was a finished car, once. There are remains of a complete wiring harness in it and throttle linkage. Studebaker routinely used the same chasis/drivetrain over and over and just dumped the prototype bodies out in the woods on their proving grounds.

I am told that there are factory photographs taken of the car back in the day by the Studebaker Engineering department. However, the Studebaker national musuem I beieve charges $50/hour for archives research fee - even if I do the research myself. So thats why I have never followed that up. Gas to get to work and putting food on the table has taken priority - especially now that I have a family to think about.

14. attastude

attastude

good to see some history, hope someone saves it!

15. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. edweird

edweird

ooooowheeeee that thing is ugly, but i sure would like to have it!!!!!

17. michiganman061

michiganman061
    from Michigan

Bump for the crowd this new week to read...

18. Or heck, it could be the basis of some intresting rat rod.

Now there's a sneaky bit of psychology for this forum! ;):D

I hope it finds a home. There are folks here who have the talent to rebuild it. Thanks for posting. Very informative.

19. michiganman061

michiganman061
    from Michigan

Well, I've owned and built both custom and stock cars. Honestly this rough old prototype is way beyond the skill of most people that have never built a custom. I'd rather see it live on in the basis of a custom or rod rather then continue to rot like it has for the past 57 years. Besides, this body has been a 'custom' in the truest sence since the day it was conceived by the Studebaker styling department and welded, hammed, and leaded to it's final form. Thats why it's story got posted here.

20. man that is sick! you should restore it and take it to shows.

21. Tony

Tony

Very interesting. I'd love to see someone save it..Poor old girl looked in a lot better shape in those '69 photo's....Time sure wasn't good to it.

Tony

22. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I gave the info to the local studebaker guy and now see what happens.

23. Hey, donate it to the Museum and get a tax break?

24. And if that was a Ford, everyone would be all over it. Studes get no respect.

25. ZenkiGarage

ZenkiGarage
    from Orygun

Well, I never post. But seeing this gets me going! Being the owner of a '53, I really wish I could get this thing! Id love to just media blast it, seal it, and have it on display on the shop.

26. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

27. Spity

Spity

Ive been e-mailing michiganman061 ever since I saw this thread, I got off the phone with him earlier today, im going to be dragging this one home. Its rough, but I know I can save it. Stay tuned.

28. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

It seems like alot of work.. a few donor cars would get it back to life. Cool....

29. Spity

Spity

The car is actually cut in half if you look at the roof, its just sitting together. Not a whole lot different than some of the guys here resurrecting Model As(some in worse shape). Donor car is already in the works, it should cover the frame + suspension, and all the tin that's needed. I work for a restoration shop, and I like a challenge.

30. Great to hear it will be saved Spity. Definitely take a lot of photos and share with us Studie fanatics.