Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cheaterama 10 Disappointment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Centurion9, Aug 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Before anybody gets stupid, let me just say that in the 20 minutes I stayed at the Nite Owl, I saw the best cars I ever saw at an event in SE Wisconsin. I've been catching shows at the Nite Owl since the Lowrider crowd would drive up from Sterling/Rock Falls, Ill....a good long time.
    I stayed long enough to see VooDoo Larry, his Coupe and his hair. That was at the gas station next door and that was about the end of being able to see any cars.
    I get the idea that Cheaterama is an "event", but if it gets so crowded that you can't even begin to see the cars that came out...maybe you guys (Cheaters) should look to a better venue in the future. Nite Owl will survive, but I had a lousy time after looking forward to the event for months. I left, and so did many others....I walked in with some of them and they were overwhelmed and left before even fighting the crowds. I think you guys have a great thing, that has outgrown it's venue, and that will hurt you in the long run. If you only want to get together with your own buddies, and keep outsiders out....then keep it the way it is. If you want to proclaim the "good news", then you need to look hard at reality...When the business neighbors and the PoPo have had enough complaints and the foot traffic on Layton Avenue gets any worse, you may be invited to look elsewhere.
    I'm not pissing on your parade, but would love to see this thing grow in a healthy way....I saw enough new cars this year, at least 6 inch squares of some fenders, that I'd love to come back. If it's crushed into a couple square feet again, I'll just visit the HAMB for coverage. Not that you'll be able to show whole cars....you won't! It was great to see the turn-out...too many cars, too many people, not even nearly enough room to enjoy it...Better luck next year...Centurion9

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  2. krooser

krooser

All those people came for the Yanni concert which you obviously didn't come for...

Cheater Carl and his cohorts have said many times that the show has a permanent home at the Nite Owl (probably because he's management of the place)... it is what it is... a great show.

Sorry I couldn't make it this year....

3. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Had to leave early and just got back. Totally disagree with C9 on this. This is the best show in the midwest. Yes it's a little crowded, but so what. Lots of great cars, cool people, decent tunes, and of course, free beer. WTF more can you ask for? Moving the show would be a mistake.

4. krooser

krooser

Did you make it to the Shakedown? Just wondering.... A lot of local guys got scared away from our show because of a little rain but some guys came 400 miles... go figure!

Cheaterama isn't a "lawn chair" show and neither is the Shakedown... most diehards would stick around to allow all the gawkers to clear out then you'd have time to study the cars...

Just trying to be helpful...

5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Best in the midwest? Come on out to Billetproof, Detroit next year.....You can stay at my house.

6. rocket8

rocket8
    from antioch CA

the way i see it is this, if you dont like it, STAY HOME and make room for the people that want to enjoy themselves. not trying to piss on your post or anything....

7. krooser....This isn't a pissing match and I don't want it to become one. Those "gawkers" you refer to are thousands of car guys just like myself who have been attending car shows for 50 years. I doubt that most of the 400 mile travelers to the Shakedown would have busted their nuts to get there if there wasn't at least a chance that the rain would stop. If it's just a HAMB or Cheaters gathering, that should be made clear and the rest of us will just stay home....I hate elitists and we're all just one little attitude away from becoming one, aren't we....? Maybe Cheaterama isn't as user friendly as I would have liked to think.... Centurion9

8. I had a blast last year, disappointed I couldn't make it this time 'round. I hope it was a success and the Cheaters are happy with how it turned out.

9. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Hey C9 stay on the porch with your lawn chair !
    Seems you can't piss with the big boys stay home no one missed you.

10. Who's rod is that in the 1st post of C9?
    That is a very cool machine,,,I Like It!!!

Tommy

11. krooser

krooser

I don't remember calling you a "gawker" IIRC...

The "gawkers" I'm refering to are the general public who drives by and then stops in to see what the hell's going on at the Nite Owl... you see 'em every year with their baby strollers, sqeaky clean Nike's and "when are you going to paint it?" comments.

This certainly isn't any pissing match to be sure... and I'm a million miles away from being an "eliteist"...

If the Cheaters show disappoints you show your stuff and start your own deal... after all how much work could it be?

12. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

I just got home from Cheaterama 10. 125 Miles home in my coupe, 115 of which it was raining and dark. A white knuckle ride to say the least, but I would not have missed it for anything. The crowd was great, and the beer was free. There was some amazing rides there that I have never seen. Pictures do not do the cars or the event any justice. Ill be back next year.....Thanks to the Cheaters.....

Rob

13. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

Congratulations to the Cheaters for an awesome show!!! The fact that all the rods and customs are PACKED in there is part of the charm of the show. Everyone who was there for the right reasons were all friendly and you had to pat someone on the shoulder as you passed by anyways. The Cheaters show is no place for lawn chairs, trailer queens, baby strollers, or cameras. It is THE place for hot rods, customs, and people who "get it". I already look forward to #11. Well done Cheaters!!

I forgot to add that it was great to see many of my old friends and meet some new ones too. Plus the PBR was cold and free and the burgers were awesome!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  14. CaseyK

CaseyK

To all the haters - Cheaterama is what it is and so is the Nite Owl. If Obama would send our damn stimulus we'd buy the house next door and extend the lot, but we're still waiting. We (cheaters) like it like we like our women - small and tight. We like the fact that you have to get off your chair and actually talk to somebody - even if it's to say excuse me. You don't know how may people told me that's why they come, it's not a big production. We sell some T-shirts, the club members buy the beer for everyone, and everybody is happy. No room for lawn chairs, vendors, a band, or even your crying dolls. If you don't like crowds - stay home, we'll fill your spot.

Casey

15. Wow, sounds like it was a big success. Be careful of whast you wish for.:eek: Ever since meeting Chris and his boys a few years back, have always wanted to fly up for that show. These guys are super friendly and that's probably what makes the show a success. No one wants to hang out with winers and complainers. And BTW... everyone on this board is entitiled to his/her opinion.
    We (The Orlando Rumblers) will be celebrating our 10th anniversary show in Feb. Hope we have a huge turn-out as well. Would love to have to turn people away or make them park next door.
    Success is a journey not a destination. ;) Nicely done boys.
    JT
    p.s. don't ya' hate all those 2yr olds smearing ice cream on your new paint job??:p:p:p

16. For those of you who think I'm a hater or a whiner...re-read my original post. I get it....it's not a Car Show. It's not my cup of tea, AND I was disappointed, but not in the cars. Disappointment is a pretty mild word, it's an opinion...I'm sure you guys can be big enough to agree to disagree. Nobody, including me is calling your baby ugly. Now maybe one of you can get past my mild criticism and recommend a show in Southern Wisconsin/Northern Illinois where these cars might also attend...a place where you guys can party and have fun, and I can actually see the cars....Is there another place that will bring the cars out that you brought out today? There were a boatload of awesome and new rides....Thanks, I'd really appreciate it...Centurion9

17. CheaterCarl

CheaterCarl

I would like to THANK EVERYONE of you good people that came & enjoyed our show & had a good time.
    Centurion9, what you want will NEVER happen, we are NOT really sorry you felt it was a dissapointment, it appears the majority of the folks that came felt the opposite of you as well.
    We can't please everyone & our car show is not for everyone, that does not make us elitists, it does set us apart, but I believe in a good way.
    I hope to see all of you that had a good time next year or maybe before then, thank you again.

Sincerely,
    Cheatercarl

18. luckys8ba

luckys8ba

Can only speak for myself,but I had a BLAST!!!!

19. DELTUFFO

DELTUFFO
    from Quincy

Centurion, you are complaining about a free show and free beer.

Do you really not understand why you are considered a whiner? Would you like them to have a personal show just for you?

20. Cheatercarl....I'm glad I was in the minority. I'm glad you guys were successful and had a good time. Seriously. As I said before, it just wasn't my cup of tea. I think some of you guys were scared by some regular car shows sometime in your youth. The traditional car shows where people were welcome to bring their cameras and kids have never been a bad experience for me, and I can drink beer and listen to good music at any of them. I'm actually looking forward to the Hunnert deal at Great Lakes again next year before the Pileup where the venue will actually make it possible for both you and I to drink beer, listen to bands AND be able to see the cars....I hope you and your friends will be as supportive of that event too, as many of the same traditional cars seem to be a part of the future there, or at least I'm hoping they are. I'm putting this thing to bed, some of you act like you're 15 years old...then again, maybe you are or you'd realize there is plenty of room for all of us in the game...maybe just not at your gig....out. Centurion9... Lover of Traditional cars the first time around, before you were conceived and knew what a hotrod was.

21. FNG for a reason...it's past your bedtime...hit the shower....C9

22. "Before anybody gets stupid, let me just say that in the 20 minutes I stayed at the Nite Owl, I saw the best cars I ever saw at an event in SE Wisconsin. I've been catching shows at the Nite Owl since the Lowrider crowd would drive up from Sterling/Rock Falls, Ill....a good long time.

Reading is Fundamental...............................

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well it sounds like it was a great event and would have been lots of fun to go to. You can't please everyone all the time I guess.

Centourian9 I'd suggest you stay away from Goodguys events if a few people milling around and that number of cars are way too many people and cars for you.

I pretty well lost interest in going to events because of the goal of way too many clubs and other show and run producers being how much money they can generate rather than how they can show the participants and spectators a good time and have them want to come back the next time. This sounds like an event that the average guy be he a rodder or spectator should enjoy to no end. Low Key with the emphasis on being there with your traditional car and having a good time rather than worrying about if you are going to get picked for some automotive celebrities award or be in the "top ten". For the general spectator it sounds like a laid back event where you can ask questions, take pictures and have a good time and not feel like the people putting on the show were more interested in emptying your wallet than letting you have a couple hours of fun looking at cars.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

24. CheaterCarl

CheaterCarl

What does that even mean? That just means you are old right?
    Dude, I get what traditional is, so does our club, if you are not a hater why does your post headline read....
    "Cheaterama 10, Disappointment"

You know what, who cares, I'm over it, have your opinion, go to your type of shows & hang out w/who you want, I/we & it seems everyone except you had a great time.
    Your experience was the rare exception to the rule it appears, I can live with that. As a matter of fact I'm glad not everyone likes our style of show, when something special becomes the mainstream it no longer remains special right?

Cheaters "en veritas"

25. Brett88

Brett88
    from ILLINOIS

The show sucked!!! Can we please do it again next week?

26. looks like it was a blast, i woulda made it but im a pussy.

27. DELTUFFO

DELTUFFO
    from Quincy

Your wife's in there, there's no room for me.

28. CheaterCarl

CheaterCarl

Seriously, Ryan should kill this thread before The Cheaters Car Club gets bad publicity and no one comes to our show!

Cheatercarl

29. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

I was at one of the cheateramas a few years back.It wasn't as crowded then. I suppose if a guy wanted to take pictures ,he could make arrangements with one of his new found freinds to do so at a later time.

I understand what Centurion was saying.I'm not agreeing or disagreeing one way or another.Can you imagine what he would have said if Cheaterama was held at Wolski's down on Pulaski Street?!

30. krooser

krooser

They'd have to sell bumper stickers that read... "I closed Cheaterama"....

That's a local thing...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.