Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats the Wichita MUST DO list??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wheelbarrowsgarage, Aug 29, 2009.

1. wheelbarrowsgarage

wheelbarrowsgarage
    BANNED
    from Missiry

Alright so next week I will be spending a few days in the Wichita area. I am sure I won't have alot of time but thought I would see what was on the MUST DO list? Will actually be at Lake Cheney but close enough. And if I don't get it done this time maybe next time I visit my brother I can check a few more off?

2. Well, Hutchinson's another 58 miles northwest of Wichita, but if you go to Kansas Kustoms and see Ron Yoder's shop, you'll be glad you did. Super nice guy- amazing builder/fabricator. my old man introduced me to him years ago and he's good people- plus there's great old buildings in town to check out, and go see the Kansas Cosmosphere and space center in town- Awesome space museum, one of the best in the nation, collection wise.

3. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Go to Sals or Cobys...(restaunts) And the mall.....You might even see a few old rides runnin about out there... I live only about an hour away

4. wheelbarrowsgarage

wheelbarrowsgarage
    BANNED
    from Missiry

I have been to Hutch, long BORING drive out there. Spent 2 weeks at fire school, no they did not teach me how to start them. Well actually spent one afternoon in Hutch, the school is south of Yoder a couple miles.

5. hankcash

hankcash

Go see a legend!

hc

Attached Files:

6. i thought Dennis McPhail was in K.C. now or somewhere else, didn't know he was in Wichititty

7. hankcash

hankcash

Dennis likes being close to the BTK...

hc

8. There's a Custom paint and body shop in the actual town or Cheney(old hometown)
    It's about 20 miles south of the lake. Farells Paint and Auto Body. They work on some cool stuff.
    There used to be a lot of cruising on Douglas blvd and Seneca in Wichita.
    There's a transprotation museum in Wichita. It used to me the train station. It's right downtown. There's the Kansas Aviation Museum in Wichita. It's by the Boing factory. http://www.kansasaviationmuseum.org/
    Just a few ideas.

9. geemann51

geemann51

10. t-vicky

t-vicky
    from Kansas

There is a cruise in the parking lot every Friday evening at Central & West St. One at Spangles on Pawnee & Seneca on sat. evening.

11. Fixed that statement for ya.

12. wheelbarrowsgarage

wheelbarrowsgarage
    BANNED
    from Missiry

How about any good junkyards down there?

13. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Go the Yard Store. They have lots of tools and supplies at great prices. It is mostly surplus stuff from the aircraft industry.

John

14. golgotha

golgotha

If yer lookin' for cool people in Wichita, Go see Dave Stuckey ( The guy who built the little coffin and former partner of Starbird) He had a shop in south Wichita. If your goin' to Hutchison the air and space museum is a must do !!!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  15. hankcash

hankcash

Seriously...? You are talking about a good friend of mine.
    I'll assume that you are joking and if you are not I'd suggest not replying to say so...

hc

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Is the Lineman still on the line?

17. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

18. He's a very close friend of mine too, lighten up.

19. hankcash

hankcash

Ok... wow!
    I thought I was gonna end up in one of those dorky internet fights or something.

all good...

hc

20. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

If you are in Wichita you have to go get a burger at Bill's.
    29th & Arkansas.
    And of course a stop at Connies on Broadway just north of 21st street.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  21. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Find the road out of the state and use it?

22. hankcash

hankcash

Oh, so you've been there... :)

hc

23. buickbelle

buickbelle

If you are going to be in Doo Dah on any given Friday night, ya gotta take in the Plaza Show! On the Southwest Corner of Central and West Street (warning: West street is under major construction, it's easier to get there on Central) Starting about 5:30PM, from just West of the Taco Shop, you will see the show, customs, bone stock and a whole lot of cars in between line up from just south of Central in the Plaza Shopping Center parking lot. It's FREE!!! Another FREE show is on the corner of Ridge Road and Central (about a mile west of the Plaza show) also on the same Friday night at about the same time, is another show hosted by the Merauders Car Club, both shows have a good turn out with live music and lots of great cars. C'mon down!!!! We will make REAL sure you are welcome!

On Saturday night, there is a cruise in at Spangles which is located just west of the Seneca and pawnee intersction. Cars start showing up around 5:00PM, by 6:00 most of the spaces are filled, with a lot of cars parking in the Church's Chicken Parking lot taking in the over flow. Another free show!!

Does this help answer your question? LOL

Carrie

24. buickbelle

buickbelle

Oh yeah!!! Try Watkins Auto Salvage, 8127 No. Broadway way up north, on hiway 81, it is just north of the 81 Speedway (a dirt track 1/2 mile). All Parts Auto Salvage 3501 So. Broadway, and Air Capital Auto Salvage 6603 So. Broadway (just north of Haysville). All of these are "older" salvage yards. But it is hard to find places with parts older than the early 60s around here. You have to go about 90 miles east of here to find older parts. Hope this helps you.

Carrie

25. buickbelle

buickbelle

Well? How bout comin to the STARLINER show and finding OUT!! LOL

It all depends on what line you are lookin for!!! LOL

Carrie

26. Go eat at the original Nuway on Douglas.
    Get a Royal there too.

27. buickbelle

buickbelle

HEY!!!! We live here!!! T'aint all THAT bad McGee!!!! Been to worse places, liiiiiiike barn swaller, small town USA! They roll the streets up after 8:00PM ya know. Shoot we keep our streets down to at least 11!!!!

Carrie

28. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

Definately the Cosmosphere in Hutchinson. Stumbled on it by accident one trip, and drove 400 mi's out of the way next time to go thru it again. Google it. Also good dirt track racing Sat nites at 81 speedway outside Wichita.

29. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

For BBQ try Two Brothers BBQ - one on west Central near Tyler, out east across from Hawker Beechcraft on Greenwich, or up north on Woodlawn near 37th.

For burgers try any Walt's location, or Charlie's Famous Burgers on 13th near St. Paul.

30. yblock292

yblock292

Go see Tim Devlin at Devlins hot rods on Douglas.Real first class operation.