Register now to get rid of these ads!

YOM plates and a green sticker???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chota5, Apr 4, 2009.

1. chota5

chota5
    from Nor Cal

Just swiched over the new white California plates for a set of '33's. New registration card came with a "Off Highway" green sticker, like what goes on dirt bikes. WTF? Is this right? Anyone else having this issue?

2. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

I think they screwed up, the last time I ran a YOM, they sent the 2 tag holders for the month & year stickers, check with DMV

3. MrkCat37

MrkCat37

Give the DMV a call and tell em you need the proper tags. You should get the tabs and decals. Just be patient, last time I called I had to talk to three different people before I got someone who knew YOM. Had one girl tell me I couldn't use the plates cause they were motorcycle plates.

Mark

4. Muttley

Muttley

Sounds like a typical California DMV SNAFU, be prepared for all kinds of fun when you go to have that straightened out.

5. DOUBLEZO

DOUBLEZO
    from SACramento

i dont know what a off road sticker looks like but, my month sticker is orange with black letters. they are usually white with blue letters. my buddy got a blue month stcker with black letters, weird. both plates are '47's

6. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

7. Judd

Judd

? why would you need a sticker or tags if your not on the road??

8. MrkCat37

MrkCat37

Here in Ca we have to pay for the priveledge to drive on blacktop, dirt. or water. We have off-road registration for vehicles which aren't used on the street.

Mark

9. Swifster

Swifster

Does the state actually give out the decal holders or is this something that gets purchased? I like the idea of not covering up the plate with decals if I can use a license plate topper like holder.

10. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

There is no plate...The GREEN (or RED) sticker IS the plate for off highway vehicles. They are valid for two years. When you get a new one, simply stick it over the old one. The DMV defines where the GREEN or RED sticker shold be placed on the vehicle.

11. Harry Bergeron

Harry Bergeron
    from SoCal

Because it's California, duh!
    Trust me, you don't want to know the whole answer.
    And beware, you can get called a hater for noticing this.

Beyond getting the right sticker, you'd need the whole registration changed -- they have given you what they give off-road dune buggy and ATVs, LOL!

12. Swifster

Swifster

I'm not referring to the ROV decal. I'm looking at the little attachment the bolts like a license topper made specifically for the yearly decal on a YOM plate. I haven't been able to locate a picture just now.

As an example, if you have a '57 CA plate, it needs the '57 decal on the plate. The decal holder shows the new '09 decal.

13. OLLIN

OLLIN

Im pretty sure they dont even send you those anymore. You have to buy them at the swapmeet

14. MrkCat37

MrkCat37

The Ca DMV still sends the tag holders. Got some yom plates done the other day and two metal tag holders plus the tags came in the envelope.

Mark

15. M.Edell

M.Edell

They're so retarded at the California DMV I swear...

16. the month tag is what you can see on the outher side is the year:)[​IMG]

17. Swifster

Swifster

And those are what I'm looking for. Are those plastic, pot metal, other? Is there a vendor to get them from?

18. cretin

cretin

I got mine with my stickers for my YOM plate from the DMV. They are metal, the same as a plate. The envelope they came in even said they were made in the Federal penal system. I'm sure the guys selling plates and stuff at the swaps would have them.

19. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

The DMV tabs for the new stickers are made from aluminum. They should send them to you, if not they would be easy to make. I've seen them on ebay for as much as $30.

20. do you want some used ones, my old ones have last years stickers on them and are creased where the plate goes.

21. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

I've seen some guys w/YOM plates place the both month AND year stickers SIDEWAYS on a single DMV sticker tab. It looks cleaner with only the one tab.

22. WRONG...
    It would not be a 1957 plate, it is a 1956 plate, Yellow w/ Black numbers/letters plate with the "56" on the right top corner. then you would need a 1957 sticker "if" the car or truck being registered is a 57.. 58 year sticker for a 1958 etc, etc up to 1962 then california switched to the black plate with yellow numbers/letters in 1963, they will then send you one current year sticker and one month sticker,(which will never change) to be placed on the alum tabs they send with your new registion and year/month stickers, so you do not put the stickers on or over that yom plates orig year of car/registion sticker, also that year sticker that is the same years of your car, must..must be on be on to register a yom plate.you would not need a sticker of the year if, your car was a 1956, as it already states that on the yom plate.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009