Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Big Olds Big Cross Country Adventure 2009

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodladycrusr, Aug 6, 2009.

1. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Crap, I got to work this morning thinking I was going to finish the adventure but I forgot to load Sundays photos into Photobucket last night....damn, a whole day at work wasted.:rolleyes:

2. duffman

duffman

WHAT!!!!!! no updates today??????? AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Long Roof Larry

Long Roof Larry

Denise
    Great meeting you on Saturday. I was with Mad Mark, in the truck with the purple mini bike on the back, in front of you in the line to get to the track. Great adventure you were on and THANKS for sharing the photos!

Larry

4. Deadbird

Deadbird

Oh CRAP! :eek: Now I'll just have to do work. Oh well, nap time is right after lunch. :rolleyes:

5. kisam

kisam

This car makes my knees weak! I drooled on it in the hotel parking lot!
    [​IMG]

6. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Great pic's from the tower. Looks like a pretty exciting trip, start to finish. Glad I got to see you and have the chance to talk for awhile. See ya, Gary

7. SKULLCRACK!!!!:eek:

Are you SURE that wasn't supposed to go in somebody's fuel tank?!?!:confused:

8. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Denise, when you make it through Atlanta, I'll be SURE, that you have some "primo" stuff!!!!!

Any of the S.F.'ers will vouch for the quality.....................

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Alrighty, the last day of my little adventure

Sunday Aug 23rd
    Joplin, MO to Livonia, MI

Woke up earlier then I wanted to but I knew I had a long drive ahead of me. The Sunday of the HAMB Drags weekend is just about the saddest day of the year for me. Each year I say to myself I'm going to take Monday off work therefore I'd be able to hang in the host hotel parking lot later on Saturday night AND all Sunday morning just to say goodbye to folks at my leasure. BUT, once again I ran out of vacation time so Sunday I had to leave "early" (for me) and drive the entire way home in one shot, exhausted.

Thru my stuff in Big Olds and headed back inside for a quick bite to eat with Jess, Justin and a slew of other HAMB pals.
    [​IMG]

I'm sure glad I don't have to grocery shop and cook for this boy:eek:
    [​IMG]

I hit the road and shortly after entering the highway heading northeast I run into Lee AKA Deadbird and his son Jesse.
    [​IMG]

We ran together for about 3 hours then stopped for fuel at the same place. Lee suggested we have lunch together and it was decided we'd do so somewhere around St. Louis before we had to part ways.

There's not too many cool sites on I44 but it sure beats southern Kansas :eek:
    [​IMG]

The mighty Mississippi
    [​IMG]

and into Illinois
    [​IMG]

Jesse picked out a cool little burger place and we had a nice meal and conversation. There is certainly something to be said for enjoying a relaxing meal with pals and getting to know them better. Thanks guys for making what is normally a pretty boring Sunday atlittle more exciting.
    [​IMG]

Drove all the way thru Illinois and into Indiana
    [​IMG]

What I70 looks like in this area for those that have never been
    [​IMG]

Had a quick drive thru Indy and had pleasent thoughts about all my Indy pals. Wish I could have stopped.
    [​IMG]

I don't normally drink too much of this stuff but I needed it
    [​IMG]

and rolled in at...
    [​IMG]

with this on the odometer
    [​IMG]

and I had to be at work at 8am that morning :eek:....I'm getting too old for this shit.:D

In a nutshell it was one of the most memorable road trips I've ever been on. Met some great new friends, hung out with old ones, saw some cool cars, shops and scenery. I did 6,881 miles thru 15 different states in 20 days on the road and NOT one hicup with Big Olds. I spent $994.48 in fuel but just a fraction of that in sleeping expenses cuz of my friends.

I've gotta admit I was alittle leary going into this adventure as my road trips over the last 18 months or so have not gone smooth. I did nothing differnet to prepare, same as always, spent lots of time going over Big Olds with a fine tooth comb beforehand and am just grateful that the road trip god smiled down upon me this time. I'd also like to thank Brant (Jaws) and Eric (Tinbender) for offering to give Big Olds a once over while I was visiting each of them. Means the world to me that you boys care so much and took time away from your busy schedules to make sure Big Olds was in top working order.

When it comes right down to it a trip like this is not about the miles driven, or the states visted, or the scenery, yes that all makes for a nice trip, but for me it's about the people. Without the great people that I had a chance to hang out with the trip would have been a very minor experience in my life. For me it's all about the people. Thanks to everyone that played a part in my adventure for making it so special for me. You folks ROCK!

10. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

And for those of us stuck at work, you give us the opportunity to live vicariously!

Congrats on a smooth trip. Loved the stories. Loved the photos.

Welcome back to the real world!!!

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

What an adventure!!! I can't thank enough for documenting it all Denise. I have to do this at least once in my life. It looks like ton of fun. Anyways, I'm glad your back safe and now you can get started getting ready for the next.

12. MacTexas

MacTexas
    from DFW

In the words of Dorothy.

"Toto I don't think we are in Kansas any more"

Enjoyed the trip.

I will be making the western Wyoming,Utah and Colorado portion of your trip in three weeks, only not in a hot rod. Your pictures convinced me I needed to see that part of the country.

13. Scott K

Scott K

D.
    Thanks for taking us along on the adventure and glad Big Olds was a good boy this trip. I know the adventure posting is a ton of work, but you get to re-live the whole trip again, so you're having double the fun.

Not to pick on Uncle John, but Damn!!! Those racoon eyes might just last until next HAMB Drags:eek::eek:.

14. 2manytoys

2manytoys
    from Fresno

No, No, No... The road trip is really over? You gotta go back.... you gotta write... what am I gonna do now if I cant live vicariously thru you? OH no... now I gotta go back to counseling. I even have to make my own cookies cuz I didnt win. I feel so lonely and lost... Maybe Dr. Phil will take me....

Lookin' forward to your next trip Denise. Thanks so much!

Rosco

<o:p> </o:p>

15. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

Denise, well you did it again, like I said before you rock, we all get to live the dream through your post, your smiling face tells us what happyness is glad your home safe and I'm sure you're planning your next trip already thanks again.................:D

16. jasonp

jasonp
    from Aurora,IL

YOU ROCK DENISE!!! Reading your adventures and looking at all the pics you take, keep me in a good mood all day at work(i gotta have something to do at work, lol). Hopefully I'll get to actually meet you at the Pileup this year!!

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Very, very well done.

18. TexasDart

TexasDart

Great road trip and by my calculations...I think you got somewhere around 17.5 MPG so that's not tooo bad for a Big OLDs with a 455 and the top down.

19. Deadbird

Deadbird

What a great thread and an incredible trip, Denise! Big time inspiration to do the same trip soon. Gotta take advantage of all my vacation time one of these days instead of blowing it all on home repair. But I digress.

We really enjoyed spending a little time with you on Sunday. Glad you got home safe and sound if not a little late. Looking forward to seeing you at the Pile Up. Although we just found out that the State cross country meet is that weekend. So, depending on how fast Jesse runs, we may not be able to make it after all. We'll have to see. Knowing Jesse, he'd probably throw a track meet or two just to go to the Pile Up.

BTW - Jesse has a log in here now. He's "Navigator 23" cause he's been doing all the navigating for me and he wants to build a 23 track T.

20. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

I think you should be expecting a gift basket coming from Saudi Arabia. :D Seriously, considering a huge mill in a relatively heavy car, that's better than I would have expected.

This has been the all time greatest thread on the HAMB yet! Thanks so much for sharing the adventure with us Denise. Having my picture included makes me feel as if I've made the history books! Hope to see you again real soon!

21. CONGRATS!!!!! That is an increadible accomplishment! Most so-called hot rodders wouldn't dare make that trip by themselves in their rod. But you did it and took the time to doccument it for the rest of us.
    You are a RULER!
    Thank you.

22. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

We were just discussing that last night. There is a noticable difference when Big Olds travels two laners and does 65MPH or when he travels major highways and does 75-80MPH.......notciable differance in fuel consumption.

He's going to have these tough decisions all thru life BUT he has made a committment to the track team to do his best and he should forfill that committment. Let him know that the offer of a ride in Big Olds still stands no matter when/when it takes place.

There is a few other trips I took this summer where the story is still half written in my hard drive that I have been thinking about finishing and posting. Looks like it's going to be a rainy weekend around here so perhaps I'll finish the Salina Kansas event this weekend and post. Stay tuned.;)

23. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Thanx Denise...for most of your trip my bro, Dan ,and I have been on those roads...only years and months earlier...I've been doing trips like yours since 1977 and have seen some great scenery, national parks, cities and towns...altho, we never quite logged over 6,000 miles (nor documented it as you have so well), we once did three weeks from Denver to Des Moines, Iowa, to off to Yakima, Washington and then up into Canada and back home thru Yellowstone...that was a real adventure and we did that in our rods...

There is absolutely nothing better than visiting the US thru the windshield of an old car...and on two-lane roads...one can actually stop and smell the roses...!!!

R-

24. Unless you're following a lead footed Kansas boy. ;-)

25. Deadbird

Deadbird

He's going to have these tough decisions all thru life BUT he has made a committment to the track team to do his best and he should forfill that committment. Let him know that the offer of a ride in Big Olds still stands no matter when/when it takes place.

No doubt. He's quite a way off State finals pace anyway. But you never know. He trimmed quite a bit off his mile time last spring. Win or lose, he just needs to do his best.

26. My HERO...Thanks GAL!!!!

27. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

It's over :(

Thanks for taking me with you, I looked forward every morning to sitting here and reading the next installment.

YOU SHOULD WRITE A BOOK :)

Id buy it

Thanks again for taking the time

Keith

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  28. WOW Denise, what an epic adventure! You have touched hundreds of lives in your travels, and have inspired thousands. I can't even begin to tell you how great it was to finally meet you. You changed me in just the few days we hung out together. Everything from my home decor, to my travel priorities! Helped me cross a few things off my list too! Big Olds ROCKS! What a job you did finishing him. In all my time around cars and car people I have never seen a better match than you two! Can't wait till I can scrub his whitwalls again:D:D;) See you soon...E

29. mj40's

mj40's

Following Denise&#8217;s road trip was like reading a really good book. I just couldn&#8217;t put it down. There were times when she had not posted for a couple days and that was like misplacing my book and can&#8217;t find it. I enjoyed every picture and post and can&#8217;t imagine how fuzzy it must feel to have that many friends out there in your travels. What a great trip and to experience the things you saw and did in such a short time. So Thanks again Denise and wish I had known more about your visit to Boise. I would have stopped by for a &#8220;high five&#8221;.

30. chopo

chopo

thanks for keeping the windshield clean. It made for a much better adventure.:)