Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Largest Crash in NASCAR History

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Old61, Aug 25, 2009.

1. camargma

camargma

im not one for nascaaarr, actually i dont like it, but holy crap that was the best nascar related video ever!!!! made my morning!

2. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I love old racing footage. Thanks!

3. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

It really made me sick to see that 57 Chevy hit hard front and rear, RIP. I think that was more cars scrapped in a day then the cash for clunkers thing.

4. That was the sportsman race that was held the first time at Daytona. The field was filled in with modifieds, which had never been run at those speeds before.

It took a lap or so to get up to speed and the open front ends of the coupes caught the air and triggered the crash.

Bob

5. str8axle55

str8axle55
    from MA

Looked like a cool race, those cars definately shouldn`t have been going that fast. Drums and bias ply`s, 6-8 in of ground clearance. It took lots of balls to race those cars back then.

6. That wreck makes "the big one" they have these days at Daytona and Talledega look like childs play.

What a waste of machinery.

7. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

This is cool thanks for posting it...

8. gotra66

gotra66

That was cool. Also, they cars still had some of the stainless trim. That is very dangerous. Surprised more weren't hurt or killed.

9. PackardV8

PackardV8

Minor point for the sake of accuracy.
    FWIW, Daytona is 2-1/2 miles around and a '55 Chev with a scattered engine coasts to a stop before the next turn-BTST. The only way he ran over his own crankshaft was with the rear wheels a fraction of a second after it blew.

thnx, jack vines

10. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

"awesome"

"cool"

:confused: was crash someone could a got killed

11. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

I want the pacecar. 60 Buick vert...yes please!!

12. BlackMagicKustoms

BlackMagicKustoms
    from Denton,TX

13. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Holy shit that was coool!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Larry T

Larry T

Kinda weird watching 30's cars and "late models" running together.

15. X426X

X426X
    from OhiO

Thanks for the clarification. Maybe I shoulda' written "on the next lap, the engine scattered and he ran over his own crankshaft"...
    :cool:

16. What a great video! Now that's real NASCAR there!

17. lowrodderDon

lowrodderDon
    BANNED

Those guys were drivers, these guys today wouldn't know how to drive a real car. Only eight people hurt at 150+ mph. Why don't they do it like that anymore?

18. 2manyprojects

2manyprojects

Neat to see all the tri 5 going at it. Almost makes you want to stop polishing your own and get it out on the track. Thanks for Video

19. I thought the same thing!

That poor 58 chevy in the end made me sad.

20. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Glenn "Fireball" didn't use a "Fire Suit" because he was alergic to that stuff they used to smear on under it. They had the option and he did without. Safety tech has come a LOOONG ways since the early days. Most of it driven by what happened to guys that gave it all for the sports they loved. The legacy of guys like Roberts, Pete Robinson, Sorokin, and many others who have trees in "The Grove" at Bakersfield is that today's cars and tracks are much safer than they were in the 50's and 60's in Nascar and Drag racing. Nowadays everyone is shocked if a driver gets hurt or dies, or if a fan gets nailed by flying debris. We used to laugh when a clutch explosion tore somebody's car to pieces as long as it didn't take your leg off. Or if a blower belt broke and the blower grenaded. That was an accepted risk. We think of the early guys as barnstorming death defying heroes but remember when Garlits and his crew figured out how to make a rear engine work in 72/73 it took about 1/2 a season for almost everyone to make the switch. Safety has come a long way and I think that's a good thing. Having said that, I still miss sitting on the hood of the car next to the track watching exploding fuelers go by right in front of you with only a downed telephone pole as a track wall or running your street car with the stock aluminum bellhousing and none of that damned heavy roll bar crap taking up money and time out of your "engine" budget!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  21. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

Now that was the BIG ONE..........

22. Back when racin' WAS racin'!!!

And not one of these guys had to utter a sentence that mentioned a sponsor to the press, either!

23. tunes

tunes

Cool video with all the vintage cars. That was a real stock car race.

24. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Yea if they get half to go clockwise and the other half to go counter clockwise!:D

25. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

Looks like the LA freeway.

26. Wow, too cool. Thanks for posting!

27. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

28. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

That was really cool. Back when racing was racing!

29. Oh yeah, that's NASCAR without the diapers. Good for all the safety features they have now but I sure do miss the REAL reality that NASCAR had back in the old days! I still watch it today but the drivers today don't hold a candle to the likes of Turner, Yarborough, Lee and Richard Petty and many of the other pioneers of the sport.

30. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

That was the big thing I picked up from this - way cool seeing those late 30's coupes