Register now to get rid of these ads!

Building a '32 style frame for the Rafter Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SamIyam, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

i wish the hamb was nothing but tech's like this

samuelscreech likes this.
  2. Yup, very good thread!!! Gets your creative juices flowing!

Max

3. HotRod33

HotRod33

Great Thread...... keep updating it, I am going to be building another frame and I might try this........

4. PoPo

PoPo

man i forgot all about this thread, such a great one and I am glad I saw it again because I have been thinking about that Model A I just got and it needs a frame..

We should be able to classify the searches and put all the Tech's in one spot! If thats possible please tell me how, my life would be so much easier

5. Go to thread tools above and just SUSCRIBED to the thread, you can even get email updates.:)

6. PoPo

PoPo

I do subscribe to a LOT of threads, but sometimes I miss days of being on here, and well that means stuff like this is posted, read and moved on down the list. so I don't get to see them.

7. Florian

Florian

Awesome! Looks like a very good method of building a bitchin frame for your project!

Is this thing a roller yet? Can we see pics? :D

8. PoPo

PoPo

I wouldnt mind getting a copy of that stencil he used to cut the frame with, or an idea of where to get one!!!

9. Click on Sams profile and view his other threads, he has several updates.

I took mine off a rail a pal had, I used rosin paper. Worst case I could trace my pattern for you. Wescotts has a measured drawing on their website as well.

10. PoPo

PoPo

Hey definately keep your stencil, I dont have any friends that have any 32s nearby so I might need to send you some shipping cash to send me a copy of your stencil. I saw someone one time someone printed the whole dimension off on a computer printer and taped all the pages together but I can't find that thread any longer.

Still contemplating what kind of frame to build and so forth. It'll be a long time before I can start building it though, lots of stuff to button up and finish before i get to the A

11. A Boner

A Boner

Nice!.............real hot rodding.

Don't tell me what you are going to do....................thanks for showing us.

12. I found a roll of tracing velum in the shop, shoot me a PM and I will copy it off for you.

13. patman

patman

Really nice work...might even try that myself someday if/when I learn to weld worth a crap...

This one? http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299105

14. This method of ,making 32 style rails is so simple it should be in the Tech O Matic

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Subscribed, I don't know how I missed this one the first time around but thanks to who ever dug it up again. That makes it possible to have an affordable 32 style frame under the ongoing project.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

16. PoPo

PoPo

Sorry I didnt PM you I came across a deal for a set of rails so I bought them. This is still on of the better frame tech's. If I need another frame I'm doing it this way.

17. No worries:) I am starting on my rails and was reading this for the 30th time for inspiration.

Sam, any new updates?

18. Sam, I cut my rails this weekend. If I may add some thoughts?

Everyone I knew with a plasma Friday PM was out of town. So I took my steel home and went to work with my hand tools.

I cut the first rail with my fancy new jig saw and hi quality Bosch Blades. I was worried about the saw kerf being to big but like Sam said the tube likes to cave in, my 1/16th" kerf closed all the way up making it too tight in a couple spots.

Second rail I cut with a handfull of thin Metabos in my 4" grinder. Mucho better. Sams hammering on the lower part of the rail is much prettier than mine, I think some form of chisel/die could yield a real smooth edge. A press or pullmax would rock, but you can make it nice like Sams if you go slow.

Use big clamps! Mine were too small, excuse to buy more tools!

All in all, my reveal looks like Sams. I looked through dozens of magazines and it seems every repop 32 frame is slightly different in this area.

Thanks for the pics Sam, I had helped do this on a couple frames but this was first rodeo with hand tools at home. YOur tech and pics were a big help!

19. wicked willys

wicked willys
    from ne ohio

great thread. I might try this on the frame for my essex.

20. I just found this! Sorry!

Hey Trent, you got some pics? I'd love to see them!

Sam

21. Sam, I do not yet. Both our Mac and PC blew head gaskets and we are w/o computers at home. We will replace them at Christmas thanks to Santa.

I am working on the frame and other chassis parts. I need to grab a new SD card for the camera and try and upload some pics to my Photobucket here at work.

22. WelderSeries

WelderSeries
    Alliance Vendor

just got linked from another post... this deserves to be seen again!

23. fitzee

fitzee

Thanks for bring this to the top.Never seen it before. Very interesting

24. flthd31

flthd31

Great post. I also built my own 32 frame rails. Sam referred to it at the beginning of his post. Here's the link again:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299105
    Looks like a lot of guys would like a full size pattern of the 32 rail ( I get a couple of pm's weekly asking for it) so I'm attaching a file that you can print yourself. It was created with Microsoft Publisher 2003 so you'll need that program to print it. It's pretty common (part of MS Office Business Ed.) so if you don't have it just ask around. The file will have to be unzipped. (sorry but zipping was necessary because HAMB does not recognize .pub files)

[​IMG]

It will print in 16 pages with crop marks for overlaping and taping together.
    Piece of cake...go for it!

Attached Files:

samuelscreech likes this.
  25. koolkemp

koolkemp

I have a friend about half an hour up the Valley here (hes on the HAMB but I think he is just a lurker) who has built two 32 frames this way , they look great ! One has a glass roadster body the other is a steel 28/29 roadster, said it took him about a weekend each to do the rails.

26. I will try and get the long promised pictures of mine. I stopped working on it for a while and had a computer meltdown over the last few months.

27. hr31hr

hr31hr
    from PA

"So I bought a 20' stick of 2" x 6" .120 wall."

Can I ask if you found the steel at a local supplier or did you order it delivered? What did you pay for the 20' stick?

Thanks

28. I know you are asking Sam but I will throw out my numbers for reference. I bought 2x5 .120 at one of our local steel houses. I paid between 80 and 100 bucks for my stick. I deal mostley with Pacific Steel which bought out our local company (they are PNW based)