Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Big Olds Big Cross Country Adventure 2009

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodladycrusr, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Every time I open this thread I'm more blown away. What an incredible adventure! And your coverage of the whole trip! Outstanding!

I picked this up last night in an effort to satisfy your "fetish"!:p Looks like one or two of my students are going to learn how to peak a hood! This thing is huge. Looks even bigger off the car! But hey, size matters!:D

BTW, Don wouldn't go for the hug and kiss! I Left him with a firm hand shake, and he sends his best wishes for you.

Attached Files:

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Thursday Aug 20th
    Trinidad, Co to Joplin, MO

The day dawned bright and beautiful, and again, chilly this morning.
    [​IMG]

I went to leave then realized I killed alot of ColoRODo bugs the day before so I cleaned the windshield before I left
    [​IMG]

I gotta tell ya I was not impressed with 160 from Trinidad, Co thru the bottom portion of Kansas......can you spell B....O...R...I...N...G, sorry my Kansasites pals.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

OMG, I thought I was going to die of boredom :eek:
    [​IMG]

The saving grace was this field of sunflowers
    [​IMG]

So I pulled over to snap a few photos.....the highlight of my morning :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was no traffic to even look at. No traffic meant that I could actually stop in the middle of the road to take this photo leaving ColoRODo
    [​IMG]

and just up ahead was the entering Kansas sign
    [​IMG]

The highlight of the day, actually there were a couple, BUT the FIRST one was that I soon realized Big Olds was going to turn 100,000 in Ulysses, KS, the hometown of a HAMB pal
    [​IMG]

and wouldn't ya know it the milestone happened right in front of his home!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bill AKA WFO guy and his lovely wife Paula invited me to stay the night or stop for a meal, whatever I had time for and the timing was such that I stopped for lunch.
    [​IMG]

We had yummy BBQ burgers that Paula grilled AND cookies and ice cream for dessert.:D
    [​IMG]

Got a chance to tour his car memorible room, his garage and his cool little truck
    [​IMG]

Thanks to both of you for a extremly memorable lunch and visit. Looking forward to seeing you again soon......but not in southern KS:D

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  3. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

And here's your sign...............................:D

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Nope, it would just make me cry :eek:

Thanks for passig that along. I sure wished I lived closer, him and I would be good buddies for sure.

5. 47 ford

47 ford

Denise,

Great job, and I have to admire you for your travels.

6. Scott K

Scott K

Much better with daylight and clear skies than the mess we had the last time thru there.

...and I think Big Olds gets about 3 dinosaurs to the mile:eek:.

7. But hey, size matters!:D
    and anyone who tells ya differently is just being kind. :D

Are we still talking about hoods?

CBB

8. Denise,

Next time you are out our direction, you need to schedule some time to go to Glacier Park, and drive the 'Going to the Sun' highway. 360 degree views from there would be fantastic, even if you can only see about 270 degrees with the sides of the mountains crowding you.

Doug

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I saw the signs but exactly what highway number is it so I can look it up.
    BTW, it was nice seeing you all weekend long in Spokane. You've got a great group of friends. I enjoyed meeting them and hanging out.

But of course :rolleyes::D

10. Brandi

Brandi

Hey - How are those new Diamondbacks holding up? Better ride on Big Olds?

11. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I leave Bill's and continue east....still boring...and now smelly:eek:
    [​IMG]

Yippee....the excitment of the windmills
    [​IMG]

and this in some small town
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

someone has alot of extra time on thier hands.....probably cuz they're not out siteseeing in their lovely state.:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

Got to watch this cropduster for about a mile.
    [​IMG]

Blew through Wichita.....I didn't realize the city was so big. Silly me, I kinda had it picture like Main Street USA with Deniis McPhails tattoo shop on a corner. Man was I off base. Missed seeing all the Koolsville Kats at the HAMB Drags....including my "favorite Dick". xoxox
    [​IMG]

So here's the next highlight. I stop at a Conocoe for gas, fuel up and use the ladies room. Hop back in Big Olds and am sitting at the driveway gettign ready to pull out back on the road heading east. I can't turn cuz here's this hot rod coming at me fast and turning intot he driveway I'm pulling out of! Low and behold it's Kerry stopping for fuel on his way to the HAMB Drags. We couldn't have timed that better. I backed up and waited for him to fuel up.
    [​IMG]

I'm not use to seeing kerry use a pump....his fuel is usually coming from a gas can used on the side of the road.:D
    [​IMG]

While I waited for him I noticed dead Kansas bugs......wonder if they'll be missed??
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

OMG, will they ever come off???:eek:
    [​IMG]

So we're ready to roll and Kerry says to me "I usually travel about 73mph, is that going to be a problem?". I said no, I can always pass you if I need to.:D
    [​IMG]

12. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Let me tell you Kerry wasn't letting me pass....he did between 75-80 all the way to Joplin
    [​IMG]

There was a beauiful sunset
    [​IMG]

and about 10:30 PM Kerry and I rolled into the Holiday Inn, the host hotel for the HAMB Drags. It was GREAT traveling with you sweetie! You made those last few hours bearable. Thanks
    [​IMG]

Was warmly greated by Gary, Hot Rod Roadster
    [​IMG]

My good buddy Ryan, AKA Ryno, had warm greetings as well.
    [​IMG]

After a bit of socializing, Gary and I headed out for a bite to eat and some special heart to heart conversation.
    [​IMG]

Hung out for abit longer in the parking lot once we got back then hit the hay knowing that the rest of the weekend was going to be full blast!

14. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

There is a night and day difference between the new Diamondbacks and the Cokers. Night and day. SMOOTH, confident ride. I have changed NOTHING else on Big Olds yet all my vibrations are GONE!

I do have one small complaint. The tread patten of the Michelins holds in little stones and pebbles moreso then the Cokers and it's really noticable BUT I would not give them up.....I just drive alittle slower on gravel and dirt roads.:D

15. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Thanks bud, I'll look that up and put it on the list for another time.

16. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

if there is a beauty parlor and chainsaw repairs and night club why cant they sell car parts and tree services? [​IMG]

btw do you have the #?

17. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I do not but I will look closely at the rest of the photos and zoom in on them to see if I can find a phone number on a building on the property. I'll look at a map when i get home and at least give you the name of the town.

18. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

thanks in advance, hope to meet you @ the TRR

19. http://www.mtclassiccars.com/

Out of Bozeman it looks like.

20. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

Friggin awesome! Looks like there is plenty of room in the trunk for a few of us to enjoy the trip!

21. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

That would be on a clear day,I was up there the day before Denise rolled thru here and it was overcast and rainy, so we did not see so much, tho it cleared a little on the way down

22. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

here is the phone # area code 406

Attached Files:

23. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

denise it was great meeting you, thanks for the great pix!

24. It was fun catching up with you on the road and doing the last part of the cruise together. Never knew my speedo was off that far at speed though. That's my story officer and I'm sticking to it! ;-)

25. Kramer

Kramer

More likely an Osprey nest, they like to built their nests on top of dead trees, or like around here, sometimes on top of power poles.

26. duffman

duffman

Denise, I will get you the number for Terry and Paul's classic auto, I have their card here somewhere. Its more of a car lot than a junkyard, in the past they weren't very willing to sell parts.
    hmmm its in Gallatin Gateway....

27. duffman

duffman

okay I'm so slow on the uptake

28. HydroClyde

HydroClyde

Denice,

What a Great road trip. Looks like it couldn't have been better. I envy you....Lucky girl.

If your going to be home for a while I still want to send some cheese.

Get some rest, you deserve it!

Clyde

29. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

You guys adding more tags just crack me up:D

30. sk8ncruz

sk8ncruz
    from pratt, ks

I see you make it through mullinville ks and witnessed the "fabulous
    political art work" of m.t. liggit quite a statement!! lots to see if you have the time to look at and understand!