Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Silver Pearl? Paint historians help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jarzenhotrods, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

Can anyone tell me when they first came out with silver pearl paint. I see Barris used it on the ex-gm showcar The Lemans that he customized in 55 but wondering if it was earlier then that that it was used?

2. I think Balon was the first one to uise it. Back in the 50s. Rumer was that Barris had a employee go to the bay area with a little skill and get a job with Balon just to get the formula. I know for a fact that Bill Hines used to use fish scales and real pearl crushed in the paint. can you think what a boyd would have said if you wanted fish scale and dust in the paint. lol

3. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

Would this have been something that was done before 55?

4. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

any other insight?

5. RAY With

RAY With

I dont know if we did it before 55 but we did paint several cars with pearl paint in 55 and later.

6. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

I boleave that pearl containing finishes were first used in the 30s on some of the Pierce Arrow and Packard show cars. These paint jobs were probably nitro lacquer based with many coats of very thin material sprayed on the surface.
    It was also about this time that metalic finishes were introduced to the paint trade for use on automobiles. Metalic paint was first optioned on preminum automobiles, but post WWII saw their use on common tin. The early metalic finishes had very small flake ( ground aluminum ) and you had to look real clase to tell if some colours were, in fact, metalic containing.

Swankey Devils C.C.
    "Spending A Nation Into Generational Debt Is Not An Act Of Compassion!"

7. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

Thanks guys for the help. I knew pimpin paint would know...