Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'm punching louvers!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eddie's chop shop, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

Been wanting one for awhile. so I built one. Maybe got a little carried away on the frame but I tend to do that so what the hell. Was planning on a backbone/reinforcement added to this initially but barely flexes now so may go without. I am also planning on setting this up for my punch and flare dies and some other uses as well so I still may beef it up some more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

Don't make fun of my Harbor freight english wheel. Planning on using the new frame for the wheel also.

3. KKustoms

KKustoms

Frame looks killer, do you any pictures of just the press portion?

4. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Looks great Eddie...nice and solid! A couple of suggestions for you as you begin to use the press. These are things I've found out the hard way.

You'll want to figure out something to support a large panel or hood when punching. I use a pair of stands with rollers on them that I got from Harbor Freight for like $15 each. One set up on each side of the press to roll the hood on. You also might want to weld on a plate that runs from the lower die area straight back to the center of the press..also to support the panel. You'll find that when punching a large piece of metal that any stress on the metal from the sides bending down from lack of support can cause the louver to not punch cleanly. Decklids and small panels you don't have to worry about but a hood you do. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. Best of Luck
    Jerry

5. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

and I'm jealous... :cool:

6. it that the low buck louver punch?

7. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

Yah its the lowbuck settup. Was going to make my own but haven't had time for squat lately. I also have the mitler brothers settup coming for the new style louver along with their hydraulic ram. I am looking forward to being able to put my punch and flare dies in there.

8. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

check out low buck tools for better pics/ more info on the press part. I am probably going to switch these dies over to be able to use with the hydraulic settup I will have. I will use whats left of the lowbuck settup for another idea I have floating around.

9. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

Nice. Looks killer.

10. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Looks great, any plans of updating to a hydraulic pump?

11. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

you sir, are a badass.

12. kidzintha34fodor

kidzintha34fodor

Don't feel bad about the harbor freight english wheel!!!! I have one too! Good price for what you get huh! But you are right the frame? SO SO

13. trad27

trad27

dont know if its just the first pic, but that thing is monster. Looks good nice and beefy.

14. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

I knew that the frame wasn't going to cut it, but it was worth the price for hte anvils. I have got plenty o use out of it though.

I had planned the louver press frame for a long time to be a multi purpose settup. thats why I have the massive plates on the front so I can make plates and pretty much put anything on it I would ever need a big frame for.

I also am making extensions that hang off the front to be able to go deeper if needed.

15. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Great work Ed..I will have to stop by and see the shop.
    Duane

16. brady1929

brady1929

great louver press

17. Hack Attack

Hack Attack

Thats a nifty set up you have there. I have to ask....how much pull does it take to punch the metal? I thought about making a manual louver press like this but I have the tubing notcher from Lowbuck thats basically the same deal and its a pain in the ass sometimes. Your frame came out awesome looking, Eddie. What gauge of steel did you use and how heavy do you think it is overall? Can you scoot it around easily?

Lookin good :)

18. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

It doesn't take much pull actually, with a long handle. The "round" louvers cut easier than the newer style so that helps alot. I will probably adapt these to fit the hydraulic settup I have coming though.

The C part is all made from 3/16 plate. The base is 4x4 1/4 wall. the C bolts to the base to make it easier to move (as in the back of a truck). The C is maybe 200lb and the base is probably 100? I really am guessing here. I can pick up the C and put it on the stand myself doubt most people would want to try it.

With it all assembled it is fairly easy to rock it back and forth and kick some furniture dollys under it to roll it around.

19. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

Hey Duane give me a call for directions.

20. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW! That louver press is neat-o!

21. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

Did my first louver for customer today. 40 ford coupe hood. Came out great.... Forgot to charge batteries in camera bad.

22. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

I've got both styles of dies up and working now. The "round" style and the newer style most people are familiar with.

It takes some serious pressure to cut the new ones as it is cutting the whole length all at once. Was debating on whether or not I would have to reinforce my frame to do the modern style louver. It doesn't flex much, but I think I'll beef it up anyway, won't hurt!!

23. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Great looking Press and wish you were closer Eddie. I hope to get a louver press going one day, I'm kinda stalled on the dies right now. Were did you get the round dies from? Lowbuck tools??
    thanks

24. lowrodderDon

lowrodderDon
    BANNED

I'm with you Continentaljohn, wish he was closer. I would love to fill the hood on my '52 w/louvers. Good job Eddie, looks badass.

25. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

Yes the round ones are lowbuck, although I already have someone wanting a different size. Now that I have the two sets I will make my own for the additional sizes i need. First will be a 3" round style probably making that in the next week. Fun on the mill!!

26. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

27. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

That is one sweet set up you have ! Looks to be very strong and able to handle just about all the pressure you can give it . A "C" frame or round style frame seems to be a lot stronger than a square frame no matter how much you can try to beef it up . Can't wait to see the hydraulic set up when you get that done . Sure will be easier on the back and arms !
    Very nice work !

28. WhoDoYouFink

WhoDoYouFink

Hey, thanks for the reply. I think I pretty well have mine laid out. If my math is right, my throat will be approx. 36". I figure those dies can be turned around and you can punch half a panel, turn them and punch the other half. So that gives me 72" total depth. I cant think of anything that I would punch bigger than that.

Like you said i am going to go overboard and build mine out of 3/8" plate. (I own a shipyard and we buy about 3 truckloads of plate a month.) I am however designing it really similar to yours so If I post pics don't kill me please! After all imitation is the greatest compliment right? Thanks again for your help.

29. redoxide

redoxide

Great post great looking press frame. Ive just bought some of the modern style lower dies and was in the planning process for frame. Looking around it appears most folks build the box section climbing frame style which for the best will in the world always look clumsy.. I have been looking at some dual action hyd. rams and perhaps a 12v pump and valve set from a tipper body or tail lift truck, converted to foot opperation. My problem is working out the maths to confirm if the ram and pump are compatible.. and provide the pressure to punch the louvre. Did consider a hand pump but felt that It would be great if I could keep it a one man operation..

30. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I was wondering if you could please post some close up picture of the die set-up. Maybe I'm overthinking this thing:D