Register now to get rid of these ads!

Powder coater destroyed my valve covers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowrodderDon, Aug 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Probably dont want to hear this, but it doesn't sound like either of you were models for good behavior. If its a HUGE issue for you, go to small claims court. if not, tell everyone you know about the poor work done on your covers. Lesson learned

2. Larry T

Larry T

Let's see, he didn't meet your expectations and you were pissed. You did a burnout and he was pissed. Things have already gone WAY to far by this time. You should have picked up your valve covers and cut your losses, before you did the burnout. And there is no way I would let anyone work on my stuff that was pissed at me.
    Take it as a learning experence and move on, if this is the worst you ever get burned in dealing with hotrods, you're real lucky.
    Larry T

3. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

Stop powdercoating. Paint is cheaper to fix, cheaper to do and just as durable if done properly.

4. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

Your opertunity to handle it has past. Should have made it clear what you wanted in return for damages when you picked them up. Its bullshit and happens alot. Youll have to suck it up and find some new covers and a good powder coater. Good luck.

5. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

If you win in small claims, it is a moral victory. :( Doesn't carry much of a penalty.

I took my nissan truck 5 speed to a shop, said I have a budget of $600. Do you think you can fix it in that ballpark? "we'll take a look" calls me back, "That'll be $1645.00 and 112.50 for the tear down." WTF!?! Lesson learned, don't ever recommend Cottman transmission on Wornall in KC. You would think a tranny guy would say, "I couldn't touch that for $600" or " Let's see what we can do in your price range". Not "well the truck is worth it, I recommend spending the investment" I pulled the damn thing and dropped it off! ended up with a rebuilt one off eBay for $550.

On the other hand. If you get convicted of murder, torture, fraud or shooting yourself in the leg, they give you a "second chance" at millions of dollars though!

6. lowrodderDon

lowrodderDon
    BANNED

Got some good ideas here, yeah it's a pretty cheap lesson, but the time I've wasted on a set of valve covers is ridiculous. Something so simple turns out to be a huge burden, Next time I'm just going to have to this much legwork on the front side and maybee the results will be better. I know what kind of work I do, so I believe others can do the same and it just don't work out that way sometimes. That's why I try to do everything myself, If i can't do it, it just doesn't get done most times. then I can't complain , I only have myself to blame.

7. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

Make a sign with photos and the final product and take it to local cruise night, maybe even the Pileup, you are going right?

8. lowrodderDon

lowrodderDon
    BANNED

oh yeah the Pile Up, my car won't be there but I will. I don't think Dave from Complete powder coating will be there though, I really think he has a problem w/tattooed people.

9. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

Are you sure you got the same ones back? He might have sort of gotten yours mixed up with a set he had already screwed up and swapped with you while he had the opportunity.

10. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

also put this up on ripoffreport.com lots of people check that they list all the shady buisnesses and rip offs i wish I had gone there bfore I ever got a sun trust bank account i CAN TELL YOU THAT MUCH.

11. Busy B

Busy B
    from Kalama, WA

I doubt the BBB will do anything. Businesses pay to be a part of that organization. I tried to make a claim through the BBB about a contractor that screwed me over and they tried to make me feel like the criminal! In my opinion the BBB is a scam. I agree with Tinman that this thread is a start...you could also place a note in Craigslist to let peole know of your misfortune!

12. lowrodderDon

lowrodderDon
    BANNED

Busy B, that's where it all started. he had an add on there, I waiting to catch up with it again and try to post close to it. And as far as the BBB I figured as much, just thought I would try .

13. steveo3002

steveo3002
    from england

post his full website, email and buisness address on here

its suprising what shows up on google when people search for stuff..that way people will find a link to here with details of the bad work and go elsewhere instead

14. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

you could also post a free website with all the details, totally legal as long as the info is correct then when someone googles his site it will come up too

15. mj40's

mj40's

16. Jim-Bob

Jim-Bob

I like that idea! HAHAHA! Find some old frames or something, nice and big, but make sure they're off something(s) NOBODY would want!!!

17. lowrodderDon

lowrodderDon
    BANNED

maybee I could get the Sons of Maxwell to do a little ditty for me?

18. 51chevcoupe

51chevcoupe

Take the valve covers with you, mounted on a display stand, to every car club meeting, show, get together, and show off his work and tell everyone you talk to about it. Even if someone tried to defend him, the truth is staring them in the face. Hell, he could show up and not be able to argue the facts. Advertising is EVERYTHING
    Ed

19. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

That sucks at so many levels, been there done that.

thats the reason we got in to powder coating, I got tired of our old powder coater doing unacceptable quality, missing dead lines, and not seeming to care one bit.

So I sold a 32 ford I had, bought a oven big enough to do car frames/ bodies and that was my big F.U. to the shop that screwed us around. which is funny because we have gained tons of his clients for the same reason.... satisfying really :)

As a customer I relate... I hate company's that don't deliver, and even more than that fuck your parts up :mad:

As a custom biz owner it's hard to make everyone happy, whatever the reason. It just doesn't happen some times.

I have made my share of mistakes in the past 5 1/2 years we have been Custom Powder Coating for the public, of that theres no doubt. We have ALWAYS listened to a client when there's a problem, and fixed it no matter what.
    Does that mean I would allow a client to abuse or disrespect me, or any other Streetwerkz employee.... no, never gonna happen.

It does mean that we will fix it, and werk together with the client to come to an acceptable solution.... as should any biz.

I feel for you, your transaction should have definitely been a "win/win" situation for both you and the coater. not what you have now.

This is the only time in life I will do this
    (so don't everyone start sending me request)
    once they are stripped, send them out to me and I'll coat them for free, you pay shipping here and back.

20. colorado51

colorado51

I am wondering what happened.

Other than the color being wrong, it sounds like he didn't prep them correctly? Maybe the aluminum out-gassed?

Then when he tried to strip them, he used the wrong blasting media for aluminum?

Just curious...

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  21. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

wow what a deal...hey ..ummm:eek:..this powder coating guy near me fucked up my model A frame:mad:..mmm wonder if you...Hahhahahaha just F-in with ya..:D

22. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

I knew it was coming lol

23. NVRA #84

NVRA #84

Also might want to see about renting some signage near his business and show the quality of his work.

24. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

..;)..:d

cool offer..but it sounds like they are pretty messed up from the media blasting ..even tho your recoating them..they may be a F-ed set of covers no leass...but with a nice powder coat on them:rolleyes:

25. skullhat

skullhat

thats for sure

i have posted many times the same thing, bbb is just a scam for the customer.........makes little ole ladies comfortable to see the sign in shops, lol

skull

26. lowrodderDon

lowrodderDon
    BANNED

I'm goin to try to get some pics on here soon, but these are totally useless, him being a sandblast dude knows or should know what he's doing , so it appears that he took his industrial sandblast unit to these, the flanges are collapsed at least 3/16 or more on the sides by the bolts and the fins are wavy and knife edged. Not much left to work with and make look right. So I'll have to formulate a new plan

27. hahahahahhaha, awesome!

to the original thread poster, if they dont look to bad and you still want them coated, you pay the shipping both ways and I'll do em for free. powdered chrome and then a top coat of high gloss fuel resistant clear and they look like the ceramic silver, just offering.

edit, nevermind, I see streetwrks has it handled. excelent!

28. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I think the dudes covers are shot..no pun intended..
    the previous Powder guy F-ed em up when he blasted them with a very agressive media., and or too high a pressure.(probably 2 or more times because he couldnt get it right is my guess)...now there aint no point in wasting anyones time coating them with anything but piss..
    hang em on the wall as a reminder of who fucked who..check in the classifieds here (seen some not too far back)..take your lumps..tell all the people you know not to go there..move on

29. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

where are you guys located ? when I get ready to powdercoat my off topic intake manifold, might look into you doing it. nervous about sending it through the mail though, lots and lots of work to make this one off item. I see it's Ohio, this post tells me you care about your work and your customers. going to be a while after i get over this layoff thing, I have a powdercoater down the road, but they don't seem to care much anymore about their work quality

30. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

I posted this at the request of another HAMB'r, I am not bashing anyone as someone pointed out, that it could be taken as such

Joshua Robinson
    President
    P-614-291-0951
    F-614-291-0961
    Streetwerkz Custom Powder Coating
    1608 Clara Ave
    Col. Oh. 43211
    WWW.Streetwerkz.com

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.