Register now to get rid of these ads!

Skinny Whites

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kerry67, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Kerry67

Kerry67

What is everyones opinion on skinny white walls ? I can't afford the $$$ for the wide whites and I am getting some chrome smoothies on my 56, so what is the verdict on skinny's? Would it look ok?

Thanks.

2. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I think they'd look good on there, if you are going for an early/mid '60s vibe...
    Do you have a photo of the car to post??

Malcolm

3. Kerry67

Kerry67

I have it posted many times but here it is again. It is a photoshopped version in my avatar but here is how it sits now....

Attached Files:

4. RoscoeFink

RoscoeFink
    from Idaho

I have 'em on my sled, I think they look plenty classy. Extra bonus: they aren't all too common on the ol' jalopies, so it keeps things unique.

[​IMG]

If you feel compelled to have the wides, I've heard tell that you can buy tire paint;
    I've never used it myself though so I don't know how effective it is.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009

5. If you want the wides, you'll always regret settling for the skinnys.

6. Kerry67

Kerry67

Maybe, but I just can't swing the $$$ for the wide whites at this time. When the time comes, I can always put the skinny's on a different car. Any my car needs help in the wheel & tire department.

7. They were the 'hot setup' when they came in back in the day.

For a while there just about everybody ran them.

Not starting a radials vs bias ply argument, but the skinny whites are easy to find in radials.

I think I have less than $225. total, mounted and balanced in the big and littles I tried on my 32 a while back.

Still running the fronts, but they've been flipped so the WW's are to the inside.

The rears are still mounted and waiting in the wings although they may go on a pair of 8 1/2" x 15" - 3" backspace slot mags I found a while back.

The wheels they're on now are 7" x 15" - 4" backspace and it wouldn't hurt to get them away from the frame rails a little more.

I wouldn't sweat the era/theme.
    Just running a 56 will do it for most....

8. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

There are also some 'Tech' threads on here about grinding skinny whites, to make them wide whites. I really have no idea whether it's safe to do that, or not...

How about a couple 'inspiration' photos??

I've always liked Sam F.'s Chevy -- both versions of it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. fleetside66

fleetside66

I bought a nice used set of wide white B.F. Goodrich Silvertowns for $200 from some guy that was running them on his '48 Ford & was switching to radials. I see similar deals here, so I don't really think you have to break the bank to get a decent set. I really think you should hold out for the wide ones.

10. Kerry67

Kerry67

I can see myself grinding completely through the wheel.

11. Kerry67

Kerry67

I don't want to run bias and I have posted on the HAMB & Craigslist looking for a set of used for ages now and have come up with nothing. I would gladly take a used set off someones hands if I could.

12. fleetside66

fleetside66

[​IMG]

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

wide whites are a bit overdone in my opinion. your wagon would look just fine with skinny white radials and chrome wheels.

... I'd put American 5 spokes on it myself.... but what do I know

14. DrJ

DrJ

Skinny white walls were available at least as early as 1957, were seen on cars in I have magazines dated January 1958 with skinny whites on cover cars and were on GM Motorama cars as early as 1953.
    So in all likelihood, that Chevy's second set of tires were already skinny whites.
    Don't let anyone tell you skinny Whites aren't "traditional."
    Just like radials... Available to the public in 1948!

Personally, I think the brilliance chrome wheels make WWW's look dull and off-White White and "smoothies" are a modern version of a chrome wheel anyway.
    To my eye, chrome wheels need that black band of rubber to frame off the white from the chrome.
    That's why guys usta paint their wheels red and slap the full hubcaps on leaving just the red rim showing for a transition.
    And no, the same doesn't quite go for full hubcaps anyway because they are usually stainless which is just that much warmer a color than chrome and goes OK with the WWW's, especially with a standout color on the painted rim edge.

(I have smoothies and "Pep Boys finest" Cornell skinny whites on my truck.
    I prefer handling and economy to someone else's "rules".) :rolleyes:

15. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

don't sweat it, that car would look good great with either or. i guess it depends on which set comes your way first in your price range!

16. chaddilac

chaddilac

It's actually easier than you think!!! Seriously!

17. DrJ

DrJ

A good example:
    I think the Red/White version looks right with the WWW's but the one with the '60's style seaweed flames would work better with Skinny Whites.

18. chaddilac

chaddilac

19. roddinron

roddinron

I'll probably run em on mine, at least until all the other more important expenses are taken care of. I've seen my friends have a lot of problems with those overpriced wide whites. In the 60's, when I was a teenager, guys my age thought wide whites were for old farts. (Hmmmm, maybe I oughta get a set after all.:rolleyes:)
    There's no doubt WWs look best on most 50's customs, but they're just too expensive for the quality of tire you get, plus I live in the country with a long, rough, muddy driveway, and I hate scrubbing tires.
    I actually think tri 5 Chevys and other cars from around mid 50's up, usually look better with narrow whites, especially if they're not customs.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  20. Deadbird

Deadbird

Use what YOU like and what fits YOUR budget. That's what matters.

21. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

I think the skinnies would look great with chromes on that car. Very period correct for a later 60's look.

22. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

How about this look?
    Wide oval skinny white bias plies, and et's...plus I have the corect "oval" ET caps. Planning on using these on my 61 galaxie.

Attached Files:

23. kopperkart

kopperkart
    from Wisconsin

I put skinny white 75 series radials on my Bel Air and they were cheap and drive good. Pic before change!
    [​IMG]

24. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

25. DrivenDead

DrivenDead

Personal Preference to me... Wides on 50's cars... Skinnys on 60's. But as stated before if your going for a 60's look not a bad way to go!

26. Bent

Bent
    from Canada

I like skinny whites. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. They would look good, I had 1" whitewalls on smoothies on my Corvair Conv.... Back when, the second set of tires that was put on the wagon was probably skinny WW's...

28. Kerry skinny whites look great and would be killer on the wagon.....go for it

29. Kerry67

Kerry67

Hitting a couple places on the way home to get prices on the wheels & tires. I should hopefully have them on in a week or two.

30. nailz

nailz
    from San Diego

Hey SanDiegoJoe....based on your advice on a different thread, i went to Welchs and had them shave me some 2" whites for my C10. Came out great.....thanks!
    [​IMG]