Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods WIERD..this 4x2 intake was never finished, its just a casting, seen one before?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by S.F., Aug 18, 2009.

1. S.F.

S.F.

Well i picked up this Weiand 4x2 small block chevy intake at a junk yard today. But it looks to be just the casting before they machined it. There are no intake bolt holes, the holes for the carbs were not machined big enough, and there are no bolt holes for the carbs. Same with the distributer hole and breather. Nothing was ever machined. Its just a rough casting, anyone ever seen anything like it?

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

I've seen an unmachined flatty intake, but not one for a Chevy. Nice part you have there...wonder if it has a casting flaw that made them scrap it? or what?

3. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I know a guy in Michigan with a raw casting Fenton 3x2 intake. Kind of a neat piece, but other than a wall hanger, a lot of work for a guy to make ready.

-Brad

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm kinda with Squirrel when it comes to thinking that it may have a casting flaw. Although most of those probably got broken up and melted down to be poured again.

I'd say clean it up good and hang it on the wall and grin at the cool wall hanger.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

5. S.F.

S.F.

I was thinking about that when I got the intake, I agree with you also that it must have been a casting flaw. It seems to me like they would have finished it if it was good to go.

6. RoadsterRod1930

RoadsterRod1930
    from NEPA

hog out those holes tap it and run that thangggg

7. BianchiCorp

BianchiCorp
    from East coast

Ive got a no name 6X2 for an olds, without the intake holes drilled its a wall hanger at this point

8. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

I have an unmachined Weiand 4-71 blower manifold for Chrysler Hemi.

9. jkperformance

jkperformance

Most castings you find un-machined most likely walked away from the foundry they were cast in. You wont find many foundries with machining capabilities but you will find gearheads.

10. 41 Dave

41 Dave

I have a aluminum valve cover and intake for the early Falcon six. There was an article in a early 60's Hot Rod mag. The kit was the valve cover, intake, cam and lifters. This was one of Ak Millers projects. Both the intake and valve cover were never machined. The valve cover says - "Falcon 216". I think they got that h/p out of the kit ! Would sure like to find someone to make several copies of this. Hope I didn't just high jack your thread . . .

41 Dave

11. studematt

studematt

I need to go to the junkyards you go to.

12. If you want to flip it, PM me.....

13. RAY With

RAY With

I would think that an employee took it out the back door or it was scraped due to core shift. If in fact it's a good one the time and cost to finish it would be high based on every thing that has to be done to it. My vote would be a unique wall hanger for looks.

14. Kingcrow

Kingcrow

Well put....didn't Johnny Cash have a song about one piece at a time lol

15. What about O'Brien Truckers? I think they specialize in short run stuff.

16. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

I have a pontiac X-2 that must have gone out as an unfinished intake. It has 4 x 3bolt and 2x 4-bolt patterns drilled and not sign of anything filled or repaired.

17. earlymopar

earlymopar

JKPerformance is probably correct: "Most castings you find un-machined most likely walked away from the foundry they were cast in." Noting his location, he knows from experience given the number of big 3 factories in that area.

I personally came away from casting shop in Missouri with a set of raw-cast Viper valve covers. I did a lot of business with that particular factory and they in turn did a lot with Chrysler. I simply asked for a set of un-machined valve covers and they appeared in the conference room before I left. I think this is pretty common.

- EM
    <!-- / message -->

18. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I've noticed on my hunt for potvin pictures, that some of the guys had regular blower manifolds that were NEVER drilled for the regular blower to bolt on

19. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Most of the time if there is a flaw they get remelted .I here that aluminum is recyleable just a rumor.:D:D:D

20. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Day late, bro. :D

I've known Stephen for close to a year now... shot his barn find "A" hot rod for Hot Rod Deluxe.
    He finds things these things like bloodhounds track convicts. Since I've known him, he's come across a couple more legit barn/garage finds of vintage rods. Crazy.

The intake is now on it's way to Brad's Shop of Forgotten and Lost Treasures... I hang out at Lamar Walden's shop in Doraville, GA a good bit, and he does a lot of resto machining on vintage parts. I had him touch up an Edelbrock C3BX intake while he was repairing a DZ302 intake. He's got the CNC machines dialed up to reface the t-stat housing, distributor boss, gasket flanges on the intake side, and I think drill the holes for mounting the intake. He's also got a custom-made spot-face tool to flat-spot the bolt head pads on the intake's mounting bolts.
    I'm going to see if he'll help me with the rest of the machining on it, or at least set me up on his Bridgeport.

With any luck, I'll have it done in time to use in a vintage intake comparo story I'm doing for HRD.

-Brad

21. careyohio

careyohio

How about a MAN A FRE.......Never machined...can't find any defects...core shifts, etc.
    Probably another "walk a way" from the foundery.
    Carey

Attached Files:

22. S.F.

S.F.

w0w that Man A Fre is BAD ASS

23. Maybe it's from that jerk in Mexico that copies my stuff and sells it on E-Gay with "some machining necessary".

Ran across a pair of Chrysler Hemi valve covers at Hershey. The guy's wife was watching the spot and I asked her what the story was on the valve covers. She said they were O'Brien Truckers valve covers that her husband had decided not to use. I told her they weren't and she asked how I knew. I handed her my card and told her that I've never sold a pair of valve covers without the six hold down and 4 spark plug tube holes machines and without spark plug tube seals. Funny thing is the asking price was $300 which is my price with all that "extra" stuff done.

Buyer beware.

Dennis

24. 7&7

7&7
    from Colorado

Dennis you might want to try to get yor web site going show the people what you have to offer!! I have heard of many products you are rumored to make but, when I look you up I can't find anything. I did recieved a catalog from you about 8 years ago. and since then I have not looked for you when making a choice on a part. Why you ask? I don't know if it is in stock and I can't see what it looks like. I'm tellin-ya get a good site. Shit have Ryan set it up for ya. And start making some money. You really missed this nostalgia hype, your product could be everywhere. It is a good product sell it!!