Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hey Alberta Hambers!! Time to pull your socks up!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jalopy Kid, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Ok "MY" thoughts on the rules;
    PRE 64 american cars, however if your 64 or 65 is the same body style as the 63 model I would let it slide, Gord's Acadian is a cool car and I would let it in.
    Pre 72 British and american bikes
    No Billet, if for some reason you have billet pulleys or something stupid like that keep you hood closed and dont let me see it. If you have billet rims, better change them before you get to the show.
    No IFS on open wheel rods
    Radials are okay, not my personal choice but I'm not gonna stop a cool custom from coming in just because he has radials.
    No Rims bigger than 16" unless it is an early ford (28-34) wire wheel
    No Digital Dashes
    No modern fuel injection unless your hood stays closed
    No Rats chained to your car, or sawblades or barbwire

What I would like to see
    Survivor hot rods
    Lead sled customs
    Bobbers
    Vintage race cars
    Stombergs
    Halibrands
    Flathead V8's
    4 Bangers (of the model A & B variety)
    39 Ford transmissions
    Nailheads
    Early Hemis
    Appelton Spot lights
    Lake Pipes
    Cheater Slicks
    Kelsey Hayes wires
    etc etc etc...I think you get the point

2. I went on Sunday to the So-Cal thing looking for you but didnt see you. I also didnt get there until 5pm and there was about 10 cars left

3. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Haha, hey Greg.

This isn't intended to be a slap in the face to the Rumble. You guys have something that works, go with it. There are many guys out there like you, who go to shows to see a broad variety of cars, and thats just fine. I enjoyed this years Rumble, and the one I went to 2 years ago.

However, there are some people out there who would like a more 'selective' show if you will, and the proof is in the posts here in this thread. Who said Hal wasn't allowed? If you came with your old (damn, that sounds weird) Oldsmobile, I'd have no problem letting you in. Alberta doesn't have the 'scene' (theres that word again) that they have in the states, where they can get big turnouts with super-strict rules. We're just looking to create something for 'guys like us'. Something a little more grass-roots I guess.

As for the 'punk rock' mentality, I can see where you are coming from. But to be honest, if the individual reads the rules before he comes, there should be no problem "at the door". It's not that he/she is not welcome as a person, just that their vehicle isn't what we wish to profile at the event. I hope this clears it up a bit.

4. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

I pretty much agree with your whole post, except the red highlighted bit. What about someone with a cool Anglia gasser, or something along those lines?

5. El Gordo

El Gordo

Ya - but it was great watching ( and especially listening to ) your car roar by when you were late for the parade:cool:

6. Well that would fall under "vintage race car" haha
    Obviously an Anglia Gasser would get in, It's more to keep out stuff like VW's....I hate VW's!! haha

7. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Ah, ok. What about my Essex? It's traditional...traditional disco 70's, that is. No billet anywhere near it, though. :p

8. brad2v

brad2v

Al, I'm totally ok with 70's rods, that was my earliest influence. That said, I'm probably in a small minority. That Essex have a button-tuck interior?

9. George G

George G

Crap was that embarrasing. I was the only car on the parade route. And I was driving the wrong way. Hey! I didn't know how to get to the staging area any other way so I drove around the barricade. The waving wasn't so bad but when they started clapping...... They must have thought it was a short parade.

First show I was ever in. I just parked and walked away, okay with my smashed bugs.. I didn't realize that there would be so much dusting and tire wiping....

Here are some pics from the show.

Attached Files:

10. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

11. henryj429

henryj429

I'm an ex-Winnipegger and I've done some car stuff in Sask and even made it into Alberta a time or two. I've also been to something like 30 states over the years having fun with hot rods and yes, street rods. Having read this whole thread, I've come to the conclusion that you guys need to lighten up!!!

Geez, this whole deal is about having fun. If you have an event, promote the hell out of it to the traditional community, ie: the Hamb. That will ensure that most of your participants will share your interests. If some one shows up with a COPO Camaro, big deal! You don't have to look at his car, but you're an ass if you refuse to talk to him or pull out the rule book.

With a little luck, you can turn things around and Alberta will become the place to go for traditional hot rodding. When that happens, let me know and I'll book the guest room at my cousin's house in Spruce Grove.

Good luck!

12. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome to Australia's problem. I think the issue is, 1,000,000 may be a lot of people but when you split up like 10,000,000 hobbies/lifestyles we are a very tiny portion of the lot.
    Think of the dedication, time and money to build something like a trad rod. Its probably only going to appeal to like minded people so the value is lower, I say this as many people look at the $$ more than the fun, they go out and build street rods that will sell well.
    I guess as hot rodding has evolved most coming into the seen are doing so from high class shows so they get caught up in that, build their first car the same and then learn the history and what its all really about.
    Then they build trad rods. It takes time or them to come around, like the seen here I bet it will grow with a little time.

I dunno, am I making any sense?

French toast please.....

Doc.

13. You know, I hear this kind of talk all the time, and I'm all for it. But the trick is to actually do it. I put my car together because I love to drive it, and that's what I do. I don't take it to car shows. I didn't build it to show it off. If you guys wanna meet up somewhere in September I'll be there, but only because it's a chance to get my car out on the highway.

By the way, I went to Rockin' August, parked my car across the street. It's like the Mcdonalds of car shows.

14. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

The problem is if you get picky and set rules you'll have a lonely show
    I go to a lot of sit and shines and have met many good friends there and if i see a car i dont like i dont look at it..the dozen or so posters here that say they'll participate will eventually whittle down to 3 or 4 and it might be a fun weekend but it wont achieve anything for the 'cause'
    chill a little and try and 'spread' the gospel rather than 'dictate' it

15. RJC

RJC
    from hope bc

Two the jalopy kid, from a older rodder RJC in the wack.60 miles east of hongcouver.there is very ,very few hot rods in that area ,most are located east in the fraser valley in langley or where our shop is in the wack .ignore the basturds youre on the right hiway.....rjc

16. if the sylvan lake thing doesnt work,I would gladly host a cruise to Lamont,Ab,My place of employment is Aldon Auto,a 100 acre salavge yard.We also have a museum on site that is really cool.Good reason to cruise my merc,summer is so crazy it already seems over.Great thread,by the way!

17. FatDave

FatDave

Well, I do see your point, and I know that sometimes when people get excited about doing something that hasn't been done before (at least around here) they tend to get a little crazy about 'the rules'...

But at the same time, if it's something that people are willing to drive from other provinces to be a part of (which happens to be the case here), I don't really see how it could possibly be a bad idea. This means that we'll be able to check out cars we've NEVER seen before, & exchange ideas with people who do things a little differently.

It may even inspire people who AREN'T car guys (yet) to get involved in something awesome, and meet some people who can help them get rolling. Let's face it... what we're doing and how we're doing it isn't exactly common and the only way it's going to grow is if people get inspired and stay inspired...

... and it's a hell of a lot less likely to happen if 'traditional hot rods' remain a novelty in local car shows.

18. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Sorry but if its a tour to a 100 acre salvage yard and museum then the 'rod' is staying in the shop.i'm bringing the dually and car transporter

19. FatDave

FatDave

Yeah... I just PM'd him for the same reason.

20. Car show at the salvage yard. Thats a great idea.

21. if you guys have ever been to the car show in Fort Sask on canada day,that is the show that I put on.We have very relaxed rules and this year we had 250 cars.If you open it up to snybody,you are bound to get a cross section of cars and people and open thier eyes to the traditonal scene,just my 2 cents
    Post some pictures of your cars,I would love to see them!
    Hals merc is awesome ,by the way.Good guy .too

22. patch

patch

Hey there ... hi to all the fellow Hamb'rs out there in Alberta. I know what you guys are talking about when it comes to the more traditional thing out there. I drove from Burnaby, BC to Swan River, Mb and back in '07 and '08 in my '54 (daily driver) chev pickup and noticed a lack of traditional rods and customs when I attended the A & W shows in Calgary and Edmonton. The one thing that I did notice at these show's was that my truck did get alot of favorable attention from a ton of people ... and I think the reason was that they weren't used to seeing too much of that kind of thing out there.
    I belong to a club out here called the "Highwaymen" with like minded guys and and a gal. It's a very loose and casual club with it's main criteria being that you have to own a vehicle that's between '49 and '59 ... it works for us and we have a good time where ever we go. We've been to many meets since forming the club ... Billetproof in Chehalis, Wash for the last 2 years, which if you've never been ~ GO!!! and tons of local shows. Our next run will be the "Rat Bastards" run in Issaquaw, Wash on the 29th of this month ... looking forward to it.
    No matter where you go in this hobby there's always going to be someone out there with a different point of view, remember the old saying ~ "opinions are like assholes ... everybody's got one" I think you guys should just unite and be the ground breakers, stay focused and above all be cool!!! I think if you just hang in there it'll all start to come around ... if not no big deal, have some fun.
    Here's a couple of pics of my rides for ya ... the triple chevy truck lineup was at the A & W in Edmonton two summers ago.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  23. CDNflatlander

CDNflatlander

Great thread Gaham!
    Hello to the local Hamb members and lurkers...haha, I haven't posted here in so long, I'm surprised this is happening;)
    Yes, we (Alberta) is short on the traditional movement...it is still there, and will continue to spark interest as these great rides continue to show up at local show and shines / parking lot cruizes and my favorite, driven around as daily transportation!!
    I am building one...still, after all these years...still not close enough to push out into daylight. I mention this to back up some of what has already been mentioned and to state the obvious, these things are a bit of a bugger to get all the parts and the time to assemble... but Fuck IT, it is my hobby and it will take as long as it takes! I enjoy admiring the efforts of those that are able to get these historic rigs back to the pavement.
    If you throw a meet together, I will do my best to support (come down, and leave some empties)...A very cool idea, would like to see it come to life.
    and those damn 50k trucks make some of us a living:eek:
    Thanks,
    Greg.

24. tinmann

tinmann

I'd venture across the mountain ranges to attend if it weren't for the fact that my "traditional" hot rod is still in pieces and that it would blow my identity as a hermit.

25. Well I think there is definetly some good interest in starting something.
    So how does Sept 12 in Sylvan lake sound for a hamb meet?
    At this meet I would like to discuss the idea of putting on a traditional show for the summer of 2010, a well promoted show that will hopefully attract participants from not only Alberta but maybe even Saskatchewan, BC, Idaho, Montana and Washington.
    I understand it is not going to have a 500 car count the first year, but i think if we could get 50 cars we would have a good show, a show that would maybe get 100 cars the second year and so on.
    So far the rest of the Clutch Poppers CC has agreed to help promote and organize, same with the Old Souls CC.
    We can do this!!!!

26. flamedolds

flamedolds

I think the biggest thing here is the way the intitial post was worded -- I think perhaps just a "hey any Alberta/western Canadian or wherever guys wanna come out or help with a traditional rod/custom show?" It was worded as an open forum on the state of "traditional" hot rodding and I gave my opinion.
    Don't worry Dave I don't take it as a slap in the face to the rumble. We tried the first year to limit certain entries -- and this year there were a few cars turned away and a few asked to move to another area to make room for cars that were a little more fitting the vibe. I don't think every show has to let every car in but the initial tone of this post wasn't about a show -- it was about the "scene" or lack there-of in Alberta or the Edmonton area. Also the first couple years we put it on I was in contact with a LOT of people from different parts of Canada and a lot of "oh hell yea we'll be there's" and "great idea how can we help out" or blah blah blah.... and you do see a couple out of province cars show up but not anywhere near the amount you would have expected from the response I intially got.
    As long as I'm not the one standing at the gate telling people they can't bring the car they've spent a whack of time blood and sweat on they aren't allowed to participate I will most likely be there as long as the new ride is highway ready. The 58 Olds is no longer mine but will be tagging along with me along with it's new owner once I can regularly cruise my new ride.

27. busted49ford

busted49ford
    from Edmonton

28. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Rather then trying to reinvent the wheel for a show why not organize all the people on here who are interested and sign them up to an established show?
    That way you get the 'Traditionalists' you want without the hassle of trying to organize it--i'm pretty certain if you had enough interest the organizers would give you your own 'section' at the show

29. FatDave

FatDave

As long as nobody tows my car home, I can agree to that.

Organizing it might put some of the fun into it though... especially if it doesn't involve standing around in a parking lot for a few hours on a saturday afternoon and then having everyone try to get home for dinner.

If there was some driving goin' on... a city-wide poker run... a convoy... a parade... whatever... could be awesome. How many people on this thread have mentioned that they'd rather drive their cars than lean on 'em?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  30. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Why yes, yes it does! :p