Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Vintage Stock Cars for the street...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Conder, Oct 3, 2008.

1. full house Mouse

full house Mouse

I think you should run it on the street nice car what a rush driving race cars on the street the only way to fly !!!!!!!!!

2. This is a cool one

Attached Files:

3. Conder

Conder

"Jalopy Junkie" has been posting some great stuff on the "coolest pictures" thread...

Attached Files:

4. 59flatbedford

59flatbedford

this is very intersting as i just had an old guy give me about a 63 or so galaxie that was his old local stock car back in the day, along with a couple mustang shells, and an old six cylinder sprint.

5. magnum79fan

magnum79fan

Here's the link to a story and pics of the NASCAR replica we built from an old used/abused car that I bought for $125!!

Since it still IS a "street car" but with all the NASCAR stuff added, it wouldn't take much to make it streetable again!! Tempary tail lights and it'd be okay as a "daylight use only" car (????)

The pics are from when we took it to the Darlington Racing Festival this past Labor day weekend (on the trailer!) and put in about 80 laps with it!!

As far as I know, I'm the only "part-time helper" that ever made a replica of the car he used to be a helper on!!

Frank Warren's #79 Doadge Magnum

http://www.mopardealer.com/warren.htm

6. monsterflake

monsterflake

7. monsterflake

monsterflake

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  8. magnum79fan

magnum79fan

I'm really thinking about making the Frank Warren Dodge Magnum (see pics a few posts back!!) as a street legal car!!!

Thing I need to know is...

Where can I find "street tires" the size of NASCAR race tires??? And who makes 'em!!??

All I got to do is get 4, have them mounted on the NASCAR wheels I have and keep a couple of the race tires mounted for "spares" (since I have 6 wheels like this mounted with racing tires).

Anybody know..PLEASE send me a note to

[email protected]

THANKS!!

Tom Baker

9. rivguy

rivguy

I think that I would start with a stock street car and modify it to look the part. Registration would be easier, it would be cheaper, and stuff like a heater defoster, roll up windows,etc. would already be there. Does any one remember the black Dodge Charger that was in Hot Rod mag years ago? It was used for high speed open road events and had a top speed of over 170 mph. Also Freiburger's Camaro that they took to Bonneville? There's a Dodge Magnum for sale at the PIck and Pull on Monterey Rd. in San Jose right now.

10. KK500

KK500

OK it's a TransAm rather than a stock car but it was my daily until 3 yrs ago. Still have it in storage! Norm Beechey was Australian Touring Car Champion in the day. No heater, no radio, no speedometer just big red lights in the dash, no carpet just gray speckle with punched aluminum panels in front footwells. Matt natural anodized aluminum panels for all interior panels. Surprisingly quiet tho. Had to install a small ceramic heater for defog. Black anodized trims custom made for belt line. Lexan quarter windows. 4 leather racing buckets 3 x 2" harnesses. 5" tach in center of windshield and 5 or 6 gages below on center stack. Aluminum console with Cole Hersey switches and a battery cutout switch and red key for ign switch. 8-point cage from firewall thru to rear shackles/bumper mounts............STIFF AS!! 50/50 weight distribution. VERY unusual for a LHD vehicle to be registered in Australia at the time....2004.... save being driven every day. Has to be 30 years or older. Prolly put 40,000 miles in 4 years. Pulled-up at lights and had a 30 year old '63Falcon driver tell me she wanted to have it's BABIES. I'm still getting psych treatment after that. More explanation here >>>>>>

http://www.chevcarclubvic.org.au/photos_pages/camaro_firebird/members_cars/pages/jims68_camaro.htm

Attached Files:

11. KK500

KK500

Gotta be the same car at Charlotte.Was at Bonneville this year (pic taken on the US80 just nearby) He did NOT drive it on to the salt, wise move.......was parked on the shoulder of the access road.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  12. goon56

goon56
    from new jersey

diggin this thread. always loved seein pictures of the big cars runnin on dirt in the late 50s-early 60s. with the flared wheel wells and some big ol steelies on it. plus i agree that it might be a little difficult to find the blending line between creature compforts and overall meanness. but it can be done, and on a budged. always liked the tri 5s with really cut out wheels wells slammed. also loved the 59-60-61 belairs done up. galaxies too. even a cheaper route would be something like a 70 monte carlo. i liked to one in the Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift beginning.

13. Cool thread. I had a '63 Galaxie P Code with the factory 4 speed and bench seat back around 1995, wonder where it is now.

14. Ranchero

Ranchero

God that Falcon is so cool!

15. Ranchero

Ranchero

I wanted to do a Vintage stocker with my 1967 Fairlane Ranchero -black steelies, vintage deaclas, etc., but then I eff'd up and painted it boatflake gold. Once I saw it painted that color it had to be custom.
    But I love those 60's & 70's Stock cars -even the ugly ones like David Pearson's Mercury were cool.

16. Gasser57

Gasser57

My dad raced raced 57-58 Fords in New York in the 60's. He's currently building a a street driven replica of his race cars, since he made them all look the same. I was starting to think he was losing his marbles, until I read this thread. Could be pretty cool, sure will freak people out in traffic!

17. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

The black NE Modified car was at Bonneville this year too. Its really nicely built, I wouldnt drive it any where near the salt if it was mine. People who drive nice cars out there have no idea how bad it F's up the cars. Ive been going for 25 years and even saw a Ferrrari powered former Oakland Roadster Show winner out there once, but he can afford to have it rebuilt

18. Truckedup

Truckedup

The idea is good,but will ya drive around on the streets with the car lettered and numbered up like one of them tuner rice cars with all the stickers?

19. George

George

If your'e gonna build it, why not!

20. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  21. George

George

Nice start! All you need now is numbers & more sponsor decals!:)

22. rdefabri

rdefabri
    from NJ

Just stumbled on this as well...something I've thought of doing for years. I'm not really a NASCAR fan, but I do like the stock bodied cars, and it would make a cool / different "rod" for the street.

23. racemad55

racemad55

Neat car,watched Bobby Allison "dog" Richard Petty for 200 laps at fonda speedway in that Identical car in about 67' or68' ,number 2 I think. Wanted that chevy to pass him so bad !

24. Cool thread! I'm doing the exact same thing, using a 1950 Plymouth fastback as a starting point. Back in the early days, these really were 'stock cars'....here's a picture of Johnny Mantz's Southern 500 winning Plymouth still wearing its license plate!

[​IMG]

Anyone considering doing a stock car for the street should contact NASCAR...they've been incredibly helpful in my search...supplying 8x10 photographs & excerpts from the old rulebooks (for a nominal fee).

25. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Ya Ive seen pictures of that Chevelle, but they were all black and white, so I never knew the top color. I grew up watching Chevelles like this at Merced Speedway in California in the 70s and always wanted one, and yup the day its finally done will definatly have magnetic 21m numbers on the sides, sponsors and engine cubes on the hood:D:D:D. Thanks all for the compliments....not everyone "GETS IT".

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  26. I grew up around stock car racing, and raced from '78 until a couple years ago, on and off. I've cut up a whole slew of cool cars to appease the racing gods, and am pretty good at it. I've been saying I want to build a street-legal roundy-rounder since....well, a very long time ago. My '56 Plymouth was built using race-car thinking; if it got in the way, it was cut, very little consideration was given to making everything "pretty", and if it didn't do anything, it didn't get to stay. That car was more drag-race themed, but I've been thinking again about building a roundy-rounder for the street....then I found this thread! Some of the ideas are staggering, and a couple of the cars being built are right on (especially the blue '64 Ford). I've been looking for an old coupe or sedan body, to build a "modified" like when I went to the races in the late 50's as a kid. No fenders, a barely-adequate roll cage, no chrome, no interior other than a couple of seats and metal floor. But I haven't had any luck finding a body that I can afford to gut and use. So I may go later-model, something weird, like a early 60's Valiant or Dart, which would make the big-ass tires look even more intimidating. Conder, thanks for starting this thread! :D

PS; I really like that red & white Chevelle! A lot of them were raced back in the 70's at short tracks, and I've always liked the way they look with the fenderwells radiused.

27. Pussy, its only tin! Like most of us we build em ourselves and can rebuild em when the die.

28. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

Yeah but it's a four-door, never happened for the MOST part. Race cars were two-doors.

29. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

This one was street legal, has been used at shows and a lawn ornament lately, very cool car though.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

30. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

one of our club memebers drives a 34 Ford that made its living on the round tracks here in Georgia and Alabama back in the late 50's and early 60's. He had to cut the doors open where they had been welded closed . It aint nice but it's still driving, powered by a 425 Nailhead.