Register now to get rid of these ads!

throttle keeps sticking, two different carbs on same car...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ol'skool29, Aug 17, 2009.

1. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

hey guys, i'll tell you the basics first. the car is a 55 chevy, 350 with an edelbrock performer intake, it HAD an edelbrock performer carb, and was perfectly fine when it was first driven, then it sat for about a month and stuck like hell after, but it cleared up the same day. fast forward a few weeks to yesterday, and i swapped a holley (that had been running FINE on my truck earlier that day, no sticking problems at all) and i went to take it for a test ride and it was getting stuck again.

but the strange part of this is it was only getting stuck when it was in gear. throw it in neutral and it was fine, no sticking. but when your going down the road it would stick like crazy.

why would a carb only stick while its in gear, and not in neutral?

and could the throttle linkage be messed up??

thanks for any help...

2. Fedman

Fedman

Check your motor mounts.

3. roddinron

roddinron

4. atomickustom

atomickustom

If that's not the problem you've got to have linkage hitting something. Have someone put the car in gear while you watch to see what happens. It's not the carb.

5. ... sounds like the mechanical linkage is binding up when the engine torques up

6. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I had a similar problem on a 60 Chev. Ended up using a small piece of chain, loosely hooked to the frame and motor, when the motor would torque the chain would tighten; until then I was always breaking a mount.

7. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

^these guys are right but there needs to be another statement.......

Be SUPER careful and don't drive it until you're 100% confident that it's resolved. Everyone likes to think they're manly enough to just shift into neutral or kill the ignition, but when the car's half looped and smoking the tires you won't have any extra hands. Been there, done that.

Many many cars have bit the dust in your exact situation. Be careful and good luck

8. overkillphil

overkillphil

I rolled my '65 C10 'cause of a broken motor mount. Hit a left hand corner hard under throttle, motor lifted pinning the throttle, and the rest was history. Be very careful man!!

9. BinderRod

BinderRod

What he said

Mine stuck when the motor torqued up. I put a cable linkage on and now it works great

10. sixpac

sixpac
    from Courtenay

I broke a motor mount and she stuck open not a good feeling. It doesnt take much to bind it up

11. Bellytanker

Bellytanker
    from California

I agree with "BinderRod", year's ago, '56 Chevy Pu, mechanical linkage, Hot motor, when the motor would torque it would apply the throttle which torqued the motor more which pulled more on the throttle, etc!!!! Anyway, cable linkage and no more problems. K.

12. In the mid 60s chevrolet had a warr problem with the engine mounts. They had a kit that ran a small cable around the a-frame mount and up to a bracket on the engine !!! >>>>.

13. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

also another odd thing is, the throttle sticking problem only happened the frist day the carbs were run. the edelbrock stuck a bit on the first couple of test runs, we did the put in drive and step on brakes and gas and see if it sticks thing, and it only happened a few times then went away. the edelbrock had been driven for a few weeks with absolutely NO binding or sticking, same for the holley thats on it now so far.

14. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

its not the carb,,,,,,

check motormounts and throttle linkages for binding,,,,, Oh wait somebody already told you that.

15. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

i know now to check the mounts, i'll be doing that tomorrow. BUT the mounts were new 2 years ago, so it might just need to be chained down as fordcragar suggested.

anyone have an answer for my question in post number 13?

16. heatmiser

heatmiser
    from mia

umm, you didn't actually ask a question in post 13... but you already have all the answers you need... definitely binding linkage- that doesn't mean it will happen all the time, but it does mean it will happen again if you don't resolve it.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  17. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

I can attest to the broken motor mount sticking throttle problem, caused me to have to drive off road to avoid hitting someone. Do not drive it until your %100 sure it is fixed.

18. flying clutchman

flying clutchman

Instead of a chain or cable attached to your frame, just run a solid engine mount on the drivers side. I broke an engine mount a couple of years ago and made this swap and havent had any problems since.

19. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

When you powerbrake a car the motor torques over really far compared to just nailing it on the highway. That's the answer to #13.

Good luck

20. 51chevcoupe

51chevcoupe

Any chance the throttle pedal/linkage inside the car could be binding against something intermittently? Assuming the above posts don't solve the problem.... and I think they will.