Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drilling 44 2.5 inch holes with a cordless ryobi isnt a good idea

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54fordgasser, Aug 16, 2009.

1. 54fordgasser

54fordgasser
    from Kansas

Decided to drill some holes in the bedisdes of the old gasser. Needless to say the ryobi wasnt quite up to the task and we ended up buying a corded DeWalt to finish the job off and it worked great.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 54fordgasser

54fordgasser
    from Kansas

what do you think should i do the front of the bed too?
    [​IMG]

3. Yeah do the front too , but some of those side holes are off by a little bit,
    I spotted it right away.

4. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

you need to defrost your fridge...

5. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

so he'll never have to look for a spot to tie something down.

6. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Ohhhhhhh, this is gonna get ugly. Pass the salt please. :rolleyes:

7. roughneck424

roughneck424

Looks good
    I would say use Harbor Freight drill it should go up in smoke about the time you get done then take it back for a new one!
    A job like that might take 3 or 4 trips!!! though:)

8. Fenders

Fenders

There is an old saying, if you think you may not like the answer then don't ask the question...

9. 54fordgasser

54fordgasser
    from Kansas

the real truth why is that its all about getting the weight where its needed and no wheres else. someday i'll get the front axle done. ive hung a tube bumper full of lead on the back that weighs over a hundred pounds and have a fiberglass nsoe on the front end. the pedals are drilled the doors are next the door pillars have been drilled and so has the column drop.

10. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I like holes.....w/ purpose...Littleman

[​IMG]

11. Looks OK ought be good for about a 100th in 1320 ft., if it doesn't affect the traction. ;)

BTW about the only place you'd see one in the early '60s with holes cut in the sheet metal would be FX or a magazine. Gasser rules prohibited cutting holes in the body.

But I like it, of course I don't do too well at the rules and its been said that I'm about half a bubble off.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2009
  12. 54fordgasser

54fordgasser
    from Kansas

porknbeaner thanks for that info i didnt know that about the holes in the body ive got quite a few examples must have just been street cars or ran in fx not sure but good to know now sometime ill post a pic of the truck that this inspired the build its a 51 f1 thats nose high and is drilled all over in an early 60s rod and custom i think

13. Most of what we see protrayed as Gassers actually fell into other classes but they ran on gas as opposed to fuel. Or they were running outlaw (non sanctioned tracks).

One of the fellas sent me a copy of the '64 Rules. I won't post 'em as they have already been posted in a gasser rules post. But I'll PM them to you.

makes interesting reading.

I do like the wholes BTW. And I've pretty much dropped my crusade against "Gassers" that are not true to form. Its just not worth the trouble to make someone feel bad about what they built.

Ya builds it the way ya likes it and lets the chips fall where they may.

BTW I got an NOS Moon Peddle for my gasser build that I zinged full of holes. I doubt the weight savings will make any difference in the world I just think it looks better swiss cheesed.

14. Falcon

Falcon
    from nevada

Your lucky if the bearings in a ryobi last a week.

Looks cool though...did you need the slugs for a wind chime.? better mpg, plenty of tiedowns, prob. makes a cool whistle when you hit 88 mph.......

15. monster

monster

so much for the bedside having any strength on the top

16. 54fordgasser

54fordgasser
    from Kansas

well i have tried to build the truck as correct as possible but time and money and an inabillity to follow multitudes of rulles from different years have prohibited me from making it completely correct however i have stuck to making sure most parts are pre 65 as i could. thanks for positive feedback its definetly appreciated and i look forward to checkin those rules out

17. Larry T

Larry T

18. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

I think it looks sweet.:D

19. Larry T

Larry T

Porknbeaner,
    Great!! That's what I posted them for. I hope everyone that's interested in "old" Gassers has a link to the rules.

In 64 I was 15 and just starting to go to the drags. I had EVERY page of the rulebook memorized. LOL Course there weren't but 65 pages in the whole thing back then.
    Later,
    Larry T

20. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

All that work for less than 2 lbs of weight savings?

21. 54fordgasser

54fordgasser
    from Kansas

thank you everybody for the positive feed back and thanks to the moderators for being fair in their censorship
    hopefully ill see ya all out at greaserama
    oh and yes the fridge was defrosted later that week...a welding pick, a pry bar and a hammer was the weapon of choice

22. KillerKustom

KillerKustom

You should know better to get approval from all the experts before you do anything to your own truck. Haha - This place blows me away sometimes.

23. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

SOMETIMES? If we don't do it on a daily basis we're slackin':eek::D

Frank

24. SDFastOne

SDFastOne
    from Pierre,SD

I like the look! Carry some black speed tape and cover them up when you race that class. :)

25. Just think,...someday in the future a body man will be welding those holes closed, to restore the truck to it's original condition.:D

26. overkillphil

overkillphil

Now that's funny!!

27. 54fordgasser

54fordgasser
    from Kansas

i like this idea but have concerns about how well it would work and i apologize to the experts for not consulting them

28. GlenC

GlenC

Gawd that brings back some memories!

In the mid 60's we were dragging a stripped out FJ Holden sedan at Castlereagh strip in Sydney. The body was totally gutted, no glass or anything, the boot and back doors were welded shut, only the drivers door worked. We decided the lack of glass in the body was creating drag inside the back of the shell that was slowing us down. so we bought a 2" hole saw and went to work swiss-cheesing the entire back half of the body. We must have drilled 100 holes in that poor old car, and being unibody meant we were also removing structural metal as well.

We only ran it once in its 'lightened' form, the whole damn thing was flexing like you wouldn't believe!

Cheers, Glen.

29. I'm glad I'm not the only one to have a GLACIER in the shop fridge!:eek: It's my way of fighting global warming. Al Gore would be so proud!:rolleyes: