Register now to get rid of these ads!

Media blasting...N.J. guys...where?who?how much?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyThirty, Aug 16, 2009.

1. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Well...since we hit the e.t. target on the "Gaslighter" drag truck, AND now need a new trans/converter, we've decided to go ahead and strip the truck, and get it painted before spring.
    Let me just say that I HATE bodywork.
    I also know very little about it, but, I think I'd like to take it down to bare metal, and start from there.
    Anyone have ANY idea, at all, what this will cost or where in Jersey, (preferably southern...) I can obtain this service?
    I don't even have the FOGGIEST IDEA what this should cost, so...any help is appreciated...
    I'll post a pic....

2. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

This is what I got....as of now.
    The front end is ready, as its all 'glass, so, no worries there. And, I'm making much of the bed out of aluminum, so, again...thats off the list. Just the chassis, and cab, really.
    I also wonder:
    1. Can it be done with the windows left in?
    2. Will it destroy things such as: wheel bearings, brakes, brake lines, etc...I HAVE roller wheels/tires...

Once again, any help is appreciated, I'm out of my element here.:D
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  3. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

It's funny that you mention this, I was googling SAND BLASTING+NJ literally yesterday. Hopefully someone has the inside scoop on someone in this state who doesn't want a stack of Benjamins.

4. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Delaware/Maryland is o.k., too...I'm close to the bridge.;)

5. yekoms

yekoms

We have a guy hear in Pottstown,PA. I haven't had anything done by him yet but, I've seen his work and it looks good. He is a car guy and does all types of media blasting. He is not an industrial sand blaster. I can get you more info Monday. There is another guy that I hear is OK around Milford,DE.
    Smokey

6. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Cool! Yeah, I would definately appreciate any info!
    Thanks!

7. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Soda blasting will not damage windows, trim, etc, I believe..

8. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Just a wee little bump...
    It's nightime crew...well...in Jersey.

9. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

just saw today, there is some speed shop, starts with gua..something I think..had a sign out fromt for soda blasting, this was on 322 blackhorse pike.. in the williamstown area, will see if I can find the name. One place I called that did mobile work said 150 bucks an hour.. hope they do it fast!
    Tony

10. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Morley Soda Blasting is a moblie paint and cleaning service.We are located in northern jersey.We strip cars,trucks,fiberglass boats,heavy equipment with baking soda without damage to glass, rubber,chrome. By appointment only.Non-toxic/water soluble/No solvents.We are now taking appointments for the month of Sept and Oct. [email protected] 973-277-0306 Thanks Scott

Sodablasting is a process where sodium bicarbonate is applied against a surface using compressed air. It was first used to restore the Statue of Liberty.

Sodablasting is a non-destructive method for many applications in cleaning, paint stripping, automotive restoration, industrial equipment maintenance, light rust removal, graffiti removal, molecular steel passivication against rust, oil removal by saponification and translocation, masonry cleaning and restoration, soot remediation, boat hull cleaning, food processing facilities and equipment. Thanks Morley Soda Blasting- 973-277-0306

11. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

WOW!
    Mobile? Cool...Might have to make me an appointment!
    Thanks!:cool:

12. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Thats fairly close to me, too...I think I know who you are talking about.
    Can't remember the name though, either...

13. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

14. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

15. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

not 100% but this might be it..
    GAMBARDELLA RACING & PERF.
    1999 S.BLACKHORSE PIKE
    WILLIAMSTOWN, NJ 08094
    856-728-4225

all I know is saw the big SpeedShop sign and under it said soda blasting
    hope it helps

16. monster

monster

I own a blasting/ metal fab shop in southern illinois. p.m. me if you have any questions. Luke

17. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Yes...I just remembered their name in the shower! lol...
    Cool...thanks for the options everyone!:D
    I wanna run AND look good next year...:eek:
    Well...try to, anyway...

18. My brother-in-law had his car soda blasted recently by Marley. He's very pleased with the job they did.

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

20. ridin dirty

ridin dirty

I had Gary strip several cars for me. This guy does excellent work. Does every square inch of the car inside and out. I will highly recommend him. Its worth the drive. He has done a Barracuda,57 Chevy,Two 68 chevelles and a all Low mile original 57 Ford T-Bird. He will be getting my 30 coupe and a 40 dodge pickup soon.

21. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

So... Where'd ya go, who'd ya use, what'd it cost?

BTW, it's spring... let's see pics of the paint!!

22. Pat at Dr. Stripper.

170 Central Ave
    Rochelle Park, NJ 07662
    (201) 368-1700

23. delaware george

delaware george
    from camden, de

pro blast in delaware.....good guy with a great service.

that might be the guy that was mentioned to be ok,but he's better than that.

pm me if you need his number...he does ALL of the local rod shops in the area,hot rod garage,rams,etc.

24. teddyp

teddyp

al green in union off rt.22

25. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Ahhhh........Well, as is often the case, another project hath distracteth me, this winter.
    But, hell...at least the Ranchero made it to the Showdown...that was it's first major haul, and, thus, a victory. It was a pile of loosely assembled, layed together parts, when I got it...

Now, back to the regularly scheduled paint and bodywork:

So far, we have been doing metalwork for, ohh, about NINE MONTHS!
    I'm new to this metalwork stuff, so, that seems long, to me, but, I am told it snowballs...I used to get much quicker results with a can O' bondo, that's for sure!

We blasted it ourselves, after all the inquiring, because, well...it was cheapest, and easiest.
    The truck now resides at my buddys, in P.A., so, working on it is a once, or twice a month affair, since we lost our garage in Jersey.
    Fortunately, it resides there with the paint booth, blasting equipment, and fabricating tools, so...progress is slow, but steady.

We STILL hold out hope to be in the staging lanes for the Showdown drags, come October.
    I figure that it will be unlettered still, but...should be there!

Christ...to think I used to think mechanical work was time consuming and tedious...