Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 Pontiac Silver Streak, what's it worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Philbilly, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Philbilly

Philbilly

My buddy called me today and said that his aunt and uncle had an old pontiac that they might sell and wanted to know if I would want to look at it. I said , "Hell Yealh!" When we got there I saw this 1950 Pontiac Silver Streak 4 door. It has the straight 8 that is running and is complete. The body is straight and the interior was perfect. The seats wasn't torn and even the door panels weren't ripped. It has been in his family for several years. The weird part is that I knew this guy since high school and he never mentioned about someone in his family who had an old car. Ok, enough of me rambling. What I would like to know from y'all is, how much do you think its worth? What should I offer to them? They told me to think about it and let them know how much I would give them and they may accept the offer. Here are two crappy pics that i took with my cell phone. Let me know what y'all think? Also, if you got any pics of ponchos like this fixed up, please post them?

Thanks.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=733721&stc=1&d=1250453491
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=733722&stc=1&d=1250453491

Attached Files:

2. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

i would say about 500 to $2000 but start at 500.thanks

3. Philbilly

Philbilly

That cheap. I was thinking between $2000-$4000. Any other opinions?

4. rgaller

rgaller

$4k for a 4 door Pontiac?

5. Philbilly

Philbilly

There has to be some poncho guys that know about these cars. Would $4k be asking too much? I haven't told him anything yet. Just wanting some ideas from other hamb members.

6. nwheels

nwheels
    from Washington

I'd agree at 500-2000. 2000 being a clean car that you can drive away.

7. Philbilly

Philbilly

Thanks for the opinions guys. I'm going to start low and see what happens. If I end up with it, y'all be the first to know.

8. wvenfield

wvenfield

Two angles here. 1. Your pics aren't that great. The chrome looks good and if the rest is as good as you say.............

2.They could IMO clean it up and get 3 to $3500 for it easy. You are asking a bunch of guys who would use it for parts or cut it up.

9. Philbilly

Philbilly

I wish I had taken my camera and took better pics. I'm looking for something that I could fix up and drive. The cool things about it is that its in great shape and its about 10 miles from my house.

10. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

Sounds like you want the number high...

Tell him you'll haul it off and give him $750, keep telling him all the work the ol' girl will need. Mention there's another car you're looking at that is priced at $500 but you'd go the extra money for this.

Are you new at this?

11. Philbilly

Philbilly

The only other project that I had bought was on craigslist and he had a set price. This is the first time someone is asking me, how much would I give him for it. Its my friends uncle so I don't want to rip him off, but on the other hand, I don't want to pay more than its worth.

12. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

No body is going to get ripped off, if you offer a person a price and they accept, it's not a rip off.

That car will take money, time and energy to get in running shape, focus on all that it needs and not that it's in "good shape" when your talking, explain the high costs of restoration, and that you've got the $750.00 in cash. And that you'll haul it off.

They will be happy to unload it.

Or not.

But better to get the ball rolling at low price.

Keep us posted.

13. Philbilly

Philbilly

Thanks for the tip. I will let y'all know what he says.

14. wvenfield

wvenfield

It takes more than the balls to say "I'll give you $750". If you came up to me saying you had another car for $500 but you would give me $750, I'd tell you to eff off and go buy it as this car was no longer for sale.

15. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

I've seen cars in this shape (or better) with ZERO rust at Pomona Swap Meet in recent times, and they've sold for less than $750.00.

The seller has the option to say no and counter.

16. wvenfield

wvenfield

As I said, I'd tell him to go eff off. You aren't going to get running, driving little to no rust car of this vintage for less than $750. It costs more than that to get a bumper chromed.

17. lolife

lolife

Stock cars are a real bitch. Just about everything is worn out. I picked-up a real nice 73 Dodge Dart with 30k miles for $2k. It sounded so cool, and had very little miles. It immediately cost me another $2k more to do all the brakes, get the tranny serviced, tear the front end apart to lube everything that was dried out from sitting for 20 years in some old guys garage. Now I had a $4k car that was worth $2k :p

Finally had to sell it, as the carpet and headliner were going to have to be replaced, as the mildew was killing me.

EDIT: cars rust BAD in mississippi!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  18. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

You sound like you're "representing" the seller, the "buyer" was asking for advise. He's new at this sort of thing. The goal is to get a car at a good deal. Been there, done that time and time again. Always point out the defects and not the good points, save that for after you haul her home and show your pals.

Money is hard to come by these days, $750 will buy lots of groceries. They might be thrilled.

19. wvenfield

wvenfield

Yes, I'm presenting the sellers point of view because as a buyer you have to ascertain what it is.

Never lie to a seller. That's stupid. I know you are lying when you tell me that you can buy another nearly rust free running car for $500. Once I know you are lying to me, the car is no longer for sale.

20. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

There's plenty of fish in the sea, and LOTS of old cars sitting around. Not all of them are highly desirable collector cars. This ol' Poncho is an old car, nothing more nothing less. Go $800 if need be, plus they have to have the title...

There's ways to wheel and deal.

21. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

I'd say 1000 to 2000 range. Chevy's of this era are more desirable by most down here in the South and you can still get a decent project for around 2k, but I like Ponchos and I don't think i would go over 2000 based solely on what you have told us. If you could get it for 750.00 to a Grand and you don't want it....pm me cause we need to talk.

48 Poncho

22. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

This is a cool car and can be made into a nice daily driver. I would plan on going up to $1500 for it and take it home if he goes for it. I am looking at a 53 Pontiac w/o motor or tranny but solid tudor and he wants $1500 for it and it probably is worth all of that. I don't like screwing with a seller or a buyer with little games, just figure what you want to pay and try to make a decent opening offer and go from there.

23. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I always get a kick out of the HAMB lowballers club.

that car looks like it would be pretty clean once it got washed and waxed.

crummy pics and minmal description. how the heck is anyone supposed to give a price?

$500? the chrome you see in the pics of the grille and bumpers is worth $500.00

24. havi

havi

Bring it up here and get twice your money back, North vs. South, ya know. I've eyeballed a '51 2 door hdtp for $3500 and it's rough.

25. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

This makes no sense to me.

A certain amount of bullshit is to be expected, from both sides.

If you really want to sell something, you don't run off a buyer because they tried a time honored line on you. I don't give a shit how grumpy the fellow is, nobody does that, unless they don't really want to sell the thing in the first place.

My take, it looks like it's worth $750 pretty easy, at least to me. I'd give that for it (if I had it to give).

You gotta decide what your top end number is, and stick to your guns.

If $750 is not out of your range, start around $550-$650, and let him work you up a little.

Don't lay the bullshit on too thick. You know the guy isn't a fool, so don't treat him like one.

There is always a bit of gamesmanship on both sides of a negotiated price sale like this. The trick is to know how hard to push, where to push, and most importantly, when to push.

Also, take cash along, big bills.

I've made a lot of deals that the guys swore he'd never take, right up until those $100 bills landed on the fender/hood/barrel head.

Don't take more cash than you are willing to spend though, and make sure you count out the offer you want to lead off with and bundle it separately. Lay that on him and see what happens. Don't lie about not having any more money. When you're out, say so, but don't say so until you're really done.

As they say, money talks. :cool:

26. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

Well said, very well said Coolhand.

The trick is to bring home a bargain, and the guy that asked is a buyer.

Car is worth as much as you can get for it, but in this case the buyer asked not the seller.

Speaking of games, the seller plays one BIG TIME when they state something is for sale and expect the potential buyer to name the price.

Then if they claim the car is no longer for sale, they are playing the most games of all.

I've been there and seen it all, money does not talk, it SCREAMS.

27. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

whats with the crappy after market wheels looks like some kid has been driving it and probably beat the crap out if it . i bought a 49 olds cpe with a small block and a 200 for 2500 some of u guys are way to high

28. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

29. Philbilly

Philbilly

Very good advice from both of you as well as others who have responded. I have a saving account that I plan on getting the money from. That's a good idea to take the cash with me. Like you said, money screams. If he really wants to get rid of the car, he's probably more likely to say yes when the cash is laying right there in front of him.

30. havi

havi