Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Ovalmeister

Ovalmeister

Hanks, Aggie 1953....

[​IMG]

Jerry Hoyt.....

[​IMG]

Dad and friends.....

[​IMG]

Dad and Andy Linden....

[​IMG]

Dad and Gene Force.....

[​IMG]

Dad and friends....

[​IMG]

2. Ovalmeister

Ovalmeister

Some vintage midget action. Not sure of drivers names or location but these are from races my Dad took part in, so I'm sure they are in Indiana around '49 to '51.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Ovalmeister

Ovalmeister

Here's one with Gary B. and Jimmy Caruthers. No idea what function they were attending but the back of the photo has a stamp on it that says "news-sentinel", which I believe is/was a newspaper in Ft.Wayne? Is that a young Donald Davidson to the far left in the background? Maybe he would know the story of this photo.
    David.
    (I'll post more as I come across them if that's cool with everyone, don't want to be a threadhog, lol).

[​IMG]

4. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

GREAT PICS OVALMEISTER!!!

Keep em' coming!

WOW!

5. rock on Ovalmiester!

6. Ovalmeister

Ovalmeister

Thanks guys, I'll scan 'em as I find 'em. Pretty fun going through these boxes, finding alot of treasures!
    David.

ps....I have a bunch of 70s-80s stuff on my cheapy little website if interested. I didn't want to post too many non "pre 1969" stuff here.

www.ovalmeister.webs.com

7. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Ovalmeister, I believe the gentleman to the left in that photo of Gary B. and Jimmy is the late Bill Lipkey.

8. Now I know where I got the OFFIXCO picture, things run together and I click and click etc.......

The OFFIXCO car was from my state, couldn't help it.

Great shot!

9. Old Bill, how are you, I hope fine. I am looking for 2 more cars. 1966, the Clyde Gutzweiler # 63, R. Lux's car @ Tulsa.
    # 2, a #76, cream or lite color with a starburst & # inside, driven by Bobby Marvin. Joe Fiore says remembers the car a little. There is a small pic of Marvin in the car on the "Retro Rockets " site. This could be '62 to '64 era, not sure. Was the Stearly @ the end of '60. Thanks much for any info.
    Oh, just ran across an old post (#5698, 4-28-09 from Indybigjohn). He was sending you a CD of old pix. Said I could poss. get a copy. If there are fees involved, let me know.
    mlight9.

10. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Does anyone know who thses two characters are?

[​IMG]

11. Grant King on the left?

12. rootbrothers spl.

rootbrothers spl.
    from indiana

Thought I would post a few pictures from the Vintage meet at Salem yesterday. Good turnout 40 cars.

Attached Files:

13. rootbrothers spl.

rootbrothers spl.
    from indiana

A couple more

Attached Files:

14. Spike, the car is the Leitenberger, guy on left looks familiar but can't put name on him. The other guy one of the Leitenbergers????? The Fray Offy in background.
    I think in the past you mentioned Walt Stearly, are there any of the family still around that have knowledge of their racing history??? Post or PM me if any info, thanks,
    mlight9.

15. racer5c

racer5c

yea I'm sure it is

16. ro51_hemi

ro51_hemi
    from York,Pa

17. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Spike, that is Johnny Kay sitting on the cockpit rail. Don't know the other.

18. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

19. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

That's bad ass aXe33!!

Thanks!

20. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Early 1963, the CRA held a 2 day affair at El Centro.

CRA hot shots Bob Hogle and Johnny Woods were there still flogging their Offys.
    Bobby Unser took over the #35 for a injured Ray Douglas.
    Gene Brown #8, 1 wheels it up the middle
    Stan McElreath #65 makes it interesting.
    It was all for naught as Gordon Wooley showed up in the K.E.Y. machine, from back east, and spanked the CRA guys both days. This still remains as one of Wooleys all time favorite wins.

Attached Files:

• ec1.jpg
      ec1.jpg
      File size:
      50.7 KB
      Views:
    • ec2.jpg
      ec2.jpg
      File size:
      158 KB
      Views:
    • ec5.jpg
      ec5.jpg
      File size:
      63.3 KB
      Views:
    • ec6.jpg
      ec6.jpg
      File size:
      52.5 KB
      Views:
    • ec7.jpg
      ec7.jpg
      File size:
      49.2 KB
      Views:
    • ec8.jpg
      ec8.jpg
      File size:
      48.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  21. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

mlight9;
    You are right about the car. The guy sitting on the frame rail is Johnny Kay, very good midget driver back then. The other guy is my good friend Bill Case, out of Doylestown, PA. He was there to run a car, just not sure which one. Bill has always been a really fun guy to hang out with; also a darn good big car driver. especially in the 50s. Bills son ran an LTC VW midget for years, and runs sprints once in a while.
    Stearly has a son who raced midgets about 15 years ago; not sure where he is now. tho.

22. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Jim;

You are right about it being Johnny Kay. He drove that car that day at the Horne. His buddy there is my friend Bill Case. Bill was a very daring driver back in the day, and i guess everybody is familiar with Kays racing. Very good in Midgets, and an up front guy in the big jobs too!

23. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Stearly was hurt quite badly several years ago in an ARDC race, maybe Old Bill knows his status.

Johnny Kay's real last name was Kapinsky I think,....he got injured (shoulder/Arm) permanent damage and never got to the good rides again.

24. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

mlight9:
    Below are photos of Bobby Marvin in 76 in 1962; Marvin (or his family) owned the car. It was the ex-Traylor-Stearly car, went to a guy named Woodbury (anybody know his first name?) for Dick Pratt to run in USAC in 1961, then to Marvin. The car was an odd color, pale yellow or gold. I think it was orange when Woodbury had it.

The Clyde Gutzwiller car was rumored to be the frame and body from Bob Sweikert's Offy. It may have been; I can't confirm (Bruce Craig was positive they were the same). It was campaigned as No. 19 by Gutzwiller in AARC and USAC in 1957-1965 with many different drivers. Stan Bowman was killed in it at Terre Haute in 1962. In 1966 it was repainted as No. 63 and raced through 1967. The fifth photo below shows it in both paint schemes when I was trying to confirm that No. 63 was No. 19. I concluded that it was, even though it even smelled new in 1966!

The CD from from IndyBigJohn didn't work out in spite of his efforts. I couldn't open the CD on my computer, and took it to a pro who had the same problem. Just one of those cases of computers not talking to each other, I guess.

Attached Files:

25. Sprinter 2

Sprinter 2
    from Ct.

Johnny Kay on the left

26. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Sorry about that, Old Bill.

27. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

Thanks for the effort anyway, John.

28. OldBill, you hit the nail on the head again w/your info & pix. I had info that said the Beal/Traylor was owned by a Darrell Woodbury of Union City, Oh. I ended up talking to his son, Gary, who told me about the car. After he said he had pix of his Dad's, I asked himto send me some, which I received 8-14. The car is red # 20. I am now trying to reach him for dates father owned car & who he bought it from. (Stearly??). I will get some one to post pix he sent me asap.
    Re: Gutzweiler(per USAC Hist). There was a post in the last year I think where someone covered the Gutzweiler history & explained the #63 was newly built for Clyde or built by him. I will have to look for that.
    Too bad about the CD, but many thanks for your input & pix.
    mlight9.

29. Coyote X14

Coyote X14

Hope you guys might be able to help. I am looking for a halibrand 6 pin aluminum right rear hub. I have a halibrand 3" tapered axle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Scott

30. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

The Tiger Gene Brown.....spent many a Saturday night watching him Hold Court at Manzy...for many years! Great photo!