Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Bonneville Speed update..

Congratulations to the MILLER/RADTKE Special

WORLD LAND SPEED RECORD HOLDER.

The team set a VOT/VF4 class record this morning of 94 mph. Not as fast as there highest hopes, but the are in the books!

Of coarse... not hard to set a record on an open class, but a win is a win. :p

Building a record holding Bonneville race car has been a long time goal for me.. Now I just gotta get my ass in the drivers seat, and bump that record next year! :D

Joshua Shaw

2. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Congrats on the win! I'm ready to put a cincy LSR car together Josh I got a stash of parts to start with.......:D Any who Congrats see ya soon Ryan

3. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Josh;

Congrats on the record! All of us here are proud as hell of you.

4. B-Ville record!!!!---you Buckeyes know how to get-er-done.

Salt Fever is extremly contagious beware.

5. sota

sota

Congrats Josh, your workmanship is over the top once again!

6. Ebert

Ebert

Congrats, Josh! AWESOME fete!!!!!

7. baldtireman

baldtireman

In western Pennsylvania in the early 1960's,Bob Burris,of Lisbon,Ohio,had some success with a Kurtis-Kraft(I think) indy roadster shortened to run on the dirt tracks as a "Super Modified". When car owner Wilbur Hawthorne decided to buy a Trevis Craft sprinter,it worked so well that he wanted to travel and race more,and Bob wanted to stay home,so Bobby Adamson(from nearby Coraopolis,Pa.) took the ride,and had MUCH success on the Central Penna. Circuit. Anybody got any photos of the "supers" at
    Greater Pittsburgh Speedway from late 1950's to mid 1960's.Everybody who was anybody would show up to run to TRY to beat the locals.It didn't happen very often. Wish I could go back there again. John S.:)

8. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Vintage cars will be on track during the USAC sprint/ midget race this Sat. Aug.15 at Salem Ind Speedway. Stop by and say HI!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  9. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

Corngrower, what's that new avatar of yours? Looks like a miniature english wheel.

10. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

It is.. Hot Rod Designer and Builder DAN WEBB makes them by hand, and gives them to certain people who "Inspire" him.. It is a great honor (to me anyways) to get one. I got mine two years ago at the Detroit Autorama. It sits front and center in my living room.

Here's an example of some of Dans metal work.. and knowledge of Vintage millers and open wheel cars.

A little off topic, but I think you guys will appreciate the workman ship..

Here is Dan's "new version" of the GOLDEN SUBMARINE.

----------------------------------------

The original,

[​IMG]

Dan's version,

[​IMG]

now some detail shots.. I can look at this car for hours!! It's details are endless.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. eye bone

eye bone

I've seen these Golden Sub photo's some where else… but I don't care… could never get tired of looking @ them… Thanks for posting!

12. Josh, your art work in the latest Street Rodder is outstanding. High point of the issue for me.

13. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Thanks! I'm doing a whole series of those budget builds.. and I had to slip a REAL HOT ROD in there!! Ha HA! Send Brian (Editor) an E-mail and let him know you like it, He is a big Vintage Sprint car fan!

14. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

I saw the Golden Sub at Sema last year. The more you stare at that thing, the more intrigued you get. It has the best craftsmanship I have ever seen.

15. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

Thats got more holes than a screen door, but its nice !!!!!

16. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

I saw the chassie minus body a few years back at Detroit Autorama - stood there for about an hour admiring the work. Strange thing is I kept ending up back at it for another look multiple times. Still not quite sure how I or why I kept coming back. It has a magnetic pull of it's own!

Dan does top notch work and has a wonderful imagination.

17. ZOOOM

ZOOOM

Absolutely georgious!
    On the other hand, I don't think I would want to be in it when the crash occures......

ZOOOM

18. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Dan said some guy at SEMA brought his buddy over and said: "Look in there.. SEE, I TOLD YOU A GUY BUILT A WHOLE CAR OUT OF WASHERS!!"

:D:D:D

JD

19. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Probably just as safe as the original!! :D:D:D

Ha ha!!

20. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

the car is like Tom Hanna's dragster ...you just keep coming back for another LOOK...... Amazing :p
    it's time for a road trip Josh :D

21. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

Michele's last run for the record,174+ mph

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6V4AmMga7Q

Congratulations to the Costella Dennee Crew for their new worlds lakester record today.
    Michele Brading finaly got in a record run and backed it up! Results from this aftenoon are posted below. Thats right she shattered the old record by 24.562mph. She did this using a V4 Kawaski power plant under 30 cubic inches in an open wheel Lakester! This Lakester was built by that old speed genius Jack Costella,who holds probably more records out there then I can count! My hats off to her dad, Glenn Dennee, an old oval OPEN WHEEL RACER and at times a midget owner and driver.
    aXe

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 80%; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" id=table2 border=1 cellSpacing=1 borderColor=#000000 width=635><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: center; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; WIDTH: 46pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; FONT-FAMILY: arial; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-TOP: medium none; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; PADDING-TOP: 1px">Number</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: left; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; WIDTH: 112pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; FONT-FAMILY: arial; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-TOP: medium none; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; PADDING-TOP: 1px"> Entry Name</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: center; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; WIDTH: 46pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; FONT-FAMILY: arial; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-TOP: medium none; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; PADDING-TOP: 1px"> Engine</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: center; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; WIDTH: 46pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; FONT-FAMILY: arial; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-TOP: medium none; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; PADDING-TOP: 1px">Body</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: left; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; WIDTH: 46pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; FONT-FAMILY: arial; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-TOP: medium none; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; PADDING-TOP: 1px">OldRec</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: left; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; WIDTH: 46pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; FONT-FAMILY: arial; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-TOP: medium none; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; PADDING-TOP: 1px">Rec</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: center; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; WIDTH: 88pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; FONT-FAMILY: arial; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-TOP: medium none; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; PADDING-TOP: 1px">Driver </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE style="WIDTH: 80%; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" id=table2 border=1 cellSpacing=1 borderColor=#000000 width=635><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.5pt" height=18><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: center; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; FONT-FAMILY: arial; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; HEIGHT: 13.5pt; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 9pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-TOP: medium none; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; PADDING-TOP: 1px">6060</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: left; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; FONT-FAMILY: arial; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 9pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-TOP: medium none; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; PADDING-TOP: 1px"> Costella-Dennee</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: center; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; FONT-FAMILY: arial; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 9pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-TOP: medium none; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; PADDING-TOP: 1px" x:str="K "> K </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: center; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; FONT-FAMILY: arial; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 9pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-TOP: medium none; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; PADDING-TOP: 1px" x:str="GL "> GL </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: right; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; FONT-FAMILY: arial; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 9pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-TOP: medium none; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; PADDING-TOP: 1px" x:num="149.904"> 149.904</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: right; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; FONT-FAMILY: arial; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 9pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-TOP: medium none; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; PADDING-TOP: 1px" x:num="174.46600000000001"> 174.466</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: center; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; FONT-FAMILY: arial; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 9pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-TOP: medium none; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; PADDING-TOP: 1px"> Michele Brading </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  22. Ovalmeister

Ovalmeister

Hey! That photo looks familiar! :)
    David.

23. Great shot for sure!

24. Ovalmeister

Ovalmeister

Here's a better shot from the same day. It was so much easier before they put that infield fence up!
    David.

[​IMG]

25. Ovalmeister

Ovalmeister

Now back to "pre 1969". Here's a few that my Dad snapped "back in the day".
    David.

McGrath......

[​IMG]

Grim.....

[​IMG]

Justin King....

[​IMG]

Nazarek, Sweikert....

[​IMG]

Parsons....

[​IMG]

Bettenhausen....

[​IMG]

Ward....

[​IMG]

O'Conner....

[​IMG]

Some high bank action.....1953

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Ovalmeister, in the last photo...is that Pat in the LaVilla? And is that Justin King in one of those?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  27. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Cool photo I took yesterday for ya'll

:p

Attached Files:

28. Ovalmeister

Ovalmeister

I'm not sure BigJohn. I'm kinda at the mercy of what is written on the back of the photos. Since my Dads passing in '04 I've been going through his old photo boxes as time allows. I was born in '63 and know most of the drivers faces, the cars are a different story. I have to rely on you experts for those car ID's a lot of the time. lol.
    Here's some more in the following posts.....even one with some "Crutters" guy. lol.
    David.

29. hlfuzzball

hlfuzzball
    from Michigan

Very creative Josh. I like it !

30. hlfuzzball

hlfuzzball
    from Michigan

Very creative Josh. I like it.