Register now to get rid of these ads!

To Chop or not to Chop (my 5 window deuce)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by marfen, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Not No But FUCK NO !!!!!!!!!

2. No intro, kicks off with 2 threads fishing for opinions about a real clean old Deuce he owns. I think this guy's just chasing attention.

3. piker

piker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

33 and 34,s look good chopped, I would not chop a 32 until I was positive that what I wanted.

4. That's a pretty sweet body. I think you're having reservations about chopping it 'cause you like having such a cherry body. Therefore, based on that, you probably shouldn't chop it. Besides, if you don't have any plans to sell the car, enjoy it like it is for now. Maybe, later on, when you're ready for a change, you may be more ready mentally to chop it.

It is a nice car!

5. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

I still find it hard to believe to this day that a message board that is supposed to be made up of such hardcore staunch traditional hot rodders has so many members that are against chopping tops.

You guys could always go hang out at the Ford Barn you know. :)

6. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Some good advice here. It all depends on what look you are after 50's, 60's B'ville, highboy or full fendered? Get the car to full mock up stage then take some side photo's and have a HAMB'er do a photo chop.

7. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Come on, are you a Hot Rodder or an Antique Automobile Enthusiast?

Chop the f*cking car...

8. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I would say run it as is and then decide.....they are comfordable and cool unchopped....then they have a bitchin atitude when chopped. By the way very nice and era perfect.

9. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Lets say you went to a Ford dealership in 1932 to buy a Deuce 5/W. Side by side sits a chopped coupe and a non chopped coupe, which one would you buy? I know I would drive out with the chopped Deuce.................
    I will be waffling about this same issue on my '36 3/W also.................

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  10. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

nice car, don't chop it - looks great now.

11. Neverlift94

Neverlift94

Personally I'd chop it just looks better in my opinion.....Just a Duece they made more. Ok I know you dont run across them everyday but still. From experience do it the way you really want it the first time cause the second time never comes around. If you want it chopped and dont just to drive it you will never eventually chop it.
    Now step away from the computer take out the hack saw yea the hack saw and go to it.

12. -DMC-

-DMC-
    from Ohio

It is YOUR car. What do you like? I prefer a slight chop atleast...Look at the Coupe from Graffiti, for example...Now look at it un-chopped.

It really depends what you want, period. Some like chopped, some like un-chopped. And no one is wrong either. Everyone has different taste and preferences..

13. choptruck

choptruck

Unchopped cars look good untill you photoshop a 2 1/2" chop, then it's on! How long did it take to decide to lower the bug? Wny don't you buy a shitty coupe body for the other chassis and chop the hell outta that one and leave the good one alone.

14. flatford39

flatford39

No chop. It is sitting right as it is.

15. If that were the case,,,you could have bought a 32 Plymouth PB coupe,,they had a factory chopped top.

I'm not knocking anyone for chopping a 5 window,,,but why start with a nice body and work your tail off and then have people ask is it glass?,,,all the glass ones are chopped. HRP

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  16. Probably the best answer your gonna get! HRP

17. Chop it like everyone else or trust it to stand on it's own. An unchopped 5wd is a gorgeous car. Build it right & it doesn't need to be chopped.

There is NO WAY I would chop a Deuce 5wd that nice. Ever.

If you have to have a chopped body, trade yours for one already done. Someone would make it worth your trouble.

JH

18. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

you chop that coupe...I sic the guido bros on yer ass...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Chop it already.
    It's the difference between bitchin' and boring.

20. Jeff, I wish I would have known that! I have a stock height 5W I would have traded for your chopped one. I would like one of mine chopped since I have others. Now if it was a 3W, I definitely wouldn't touch it! I like them both ways but if that is what you really want, do it and forget what others think, it's your car. Unless you screw it up it won't make much difference in its value. Plus, why would you ever sell it anyway?

21. marfen

marfen
    from sask

THANK YOU all for your input. I've been playing with musclecars and building drag cars since I was 16. I know which car to cut up, big block car (leave it alone), 318/6 cyl. car , do what you want. My background in rods is I built a 31 Plymouth PA coupe highboy a few years back, decisions with that car were easy since the car was so rough. I am making sure that I make the right decisions with this deuce since it is a valuable car and I really appreciate your tremendous input on this crucial decision. Sorry about the introduction thing-new to this forum and not up to speed on this stuff.

22. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

You build it to only please one person that is the most important.......the rest of us you just have to put with.......careful with that 3wLarry guy he is head of the "Deuce Syndicate". ha ha

23. JADED 40

JADED 40

make it a true hot rod and chop it

24. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Hey there is a vw bug in that pic!!!!

25. full house Mouse

full house Mouse

Really nice Car do what you want its your life. It looks great as it is and it would look great chopped. Its up to you.

26. titus

titus

I think thats why we do like unchopped cars, becuase we are hardcore, seems like its the norm to chop nowadays, plus ive got both, so i go both ways;)

can you say Harry Luzader, one of the most bad ass 32 five windows around, oh wait, its unchopped, and not boring!:) and its got fenders, too, those are boring to right??

I actually wanted one of each, for 2 different types of builds im going for, im gonna put my chopped fiver on a totally traditional flathead powered chassis, and well my unchopped car i cant really talk about but its gonna have fenders, and it wont be the lowest car!

JEFF

Attached Files:

27. 51chevcoupe

51chevcoupe

Since you are asking, IMHO, I think that a stock top makes the car more valuable. This is because it appeals to a much wider potential buyer base. Both the guys who like stockers would be in the market as well as the 'choppers' who would see a new project. If you chop it, it will only appeal the the 'chopped' buyers. Remember... it can only be original ONCE.
    My OFFICIAL .02
    Ed
    UNchopped 51 coupe:eek:

28. OLLIN

OLLIN

heres a quick photochop. it does look sweet chopped, but I vote leave it for now and drive it around like that for a while...

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      486.2 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      481.9 KB
      Views:
  29. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Paint it pink and make it a convertible.