Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 Ford 5 window perfect chop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by marfen, Aug 14, 2009.

1. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

[​IMG] I put my foot in my mouth. They all are bad ass! I'm still chopping mine 4 or more..

2. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

That blue one has a nice chop.. The windows look perfect. Little curve..Nice!

3. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Black paint with flex and Flat over....won't fade...

4. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I love chopped coupes. Having said that, the first design constraint has to be how the pilot is going to fit into the car. A bitch'n looking hot rod that you can't fit in, see out of, or get into/out of is just a resale item for a buyer that is shorter than you. Figure out the cockpit fit and sight lines first, then chop the top if you want.

5. Chance it

Chance it

Oh yes CHOP IT!!! 4" Busby Coupe and this @ 5" ? What the heck 4.5 ;)

6. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

For those purist who wouldn't chop an unchopped 5-window I have a kit to raise it another 3" over stock. So, everywhere you go you'll have plenty of head room.

7. I don't think it is really about being a purist or a restorer , the term "It takes a real man to cut one up" is not holding up so well when its cool to see one unchopped for a change , I never thought I would own a steel coupe but when I laid eyes on this coupe unchopped it was perfect in my eyes, fully fendered it looks great ,I would never consider a Highboy unchopped but that it personal preference once again and that is "Hot Roddin'"

Cad

8. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Now thats funny!

9. <TABLE class=tborder id=post4227181 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_4227181 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid">Not Scared to be seen in Fibreglass, go for it !!
    </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid">[​IMG] [​IMG] </TD><TD class=alt1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid" align=right><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

10. Dirty2

Dirty2

5 1/2

Attached Files:

rustisgold and akoutlaw like this.
  11. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

'32 5W's NEED to be chopped..........

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

akoutlaw likes this.
  12. While I do dig a lot of the chopped ones i've seen, were it mine, the perfect chop would be no chop at all. I don't think I could put the saw to one of Henry's deuce's that survived unchopped all these years.

clem likes this.
  13. I totaly agree. mine will remain unchopped also

14. clearly the winner hands down!!!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  15. Duece's wild

Duece's wild

Here's a thought. What if you sold your 5 window body. I know you could get top dollar for it Then bought a fiberglass chopped 5 window. With the extra money you made, you could spend the remainder on paint, engine, etc. Last week a family friend sold a basketcase 5 window for 60 g's. Thats how rare your car is.

16. then he would have a replica '32! Nothing wrong with cutting rare or expensive cars.

17. Duece's wild

Duece's wild

Why not? Frontal lobotomies are cool too!

18. sorry, i did not realize the h.a.m.b. Was a restorers forum.

19. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Bullshit.

20. Contrary to popular belief,,every body doesn't read your magazine or want a chopped car,,,I have owned several over the years,,,so maybe I am a restorer also. :D HRP

21. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

right click... set as desk top....

22. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

That rootbeer car with the 5" chop does look bitchin...

But remember, it's channeled...

5" on a hi-boy would look wierd...

So I'd say around 2.5" on a Hi-Boy... And on a Channeled car, 5"...

And that's for traditional rods... Like Kevin says, the rest of the setup has a lot to say about the chop...

23. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I left mine unchopped and happy I did:
    [​IMG]

snopeks garage likes this.
  24. nice!!!!!

25. Duece's wild

Duece's wild

I'm not a restorer, I own a hiboy with a smf. a 48 ford convertible with a 383, and others. My next build will be a 27 Ford tub with a 350 chevy. I live in the Bayarea where some guys have more money than God, and they do pay top dollar for unmolested Fords.

26. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Having a '32 5w for over 35 years and never building it I've got a lot of "time in grade" looking at chopped and unchopped ones. This is my take after looking at (and sitting in) about a hundred '32 5w's:

1. full fendered..............................2" chop
    2. highboy....................................4" chop (minimum)

Of course 4' looks great on any of them and that's what I was intending on doing to mine. However, being tall from the waist up and relatively short legs for my height my "research" tells me the coupe will get a 3 1/2" chop and retain the fenders. If I don't build it the next caretaker can start with a clean slate.:)

Frank

27. My Coupe is cut 3 1/2". It looks very proportional when you are around it.

Attached Files:

28. Duece's wild

Duece's wild

29. marfen

marfen
    from sask

Thanks, 5 window Johnnie for kicking in your opinion here. I've been a fan of that car of yours after first seeing it in the rod mags. Great work here. Those early hemis sure are smooth, efficient running engines. How's yours running these days? I sure appreciate everyone's input on this topic.

30. JimSibley

JimSibley

Im with kilroy. Mine is chopped 5 and it is channeled 4. If I were to leave it high I would have done it 3 or less.