Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roller Cam Blown 291 DeSoto Coming Together Nicely

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 345 DeSoto, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Here, FINALLY, are the LA Mopar retro roller lifters IN my 291 DeSoto block...just got the roller and lifters in this afternoon. Doing a little every day on the engine assembly. Taking my time fussing over and enjoying the build. This 291 DeSoto roller business (will they work/won't they work) has been going on for a number of months. I guess they're a TRUE "drop-in" with the 330/341/345 high decks DeSoto, but with the 276/291 low decks, the lifter access holes (NOT the lifter bores) had to be relieved. Once that's done, they "drop" right in through the top. You can see what opening up the access holes I did to get them in, in some of the pictures. In the picture of the timing gear, I tried to show how I used the Stock (new, of course) 291 timing chain set-up under a HH aluminum cover. Rather than spend a couple hundred extra bucks for a later model set, I did a few EASY mods and saved some. As soon as Smith Brothers gets my modified pushrods out, there'll be some LOUD noises in the Shop...:D <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attached Files:

2. cracker head

cracker head

Looking good! Who did you get your cam from?

3. It's an OLD (late 50's) Chet Herbert #7 Roller (new, never installed). Got it from Jim at Racer Brown. I asked him to keep an eye out for a DeSoto Roller...

4. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ahh...the old #7......

Keep it up, -Abone.

5. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Looks really good, don't forget to flatten down the oil slinger!!!
    Cam retainer looks alot like mine too!!!

6. Yup...flattened it . On my Cam gear, there's a dowl pin that indexes into the Stock cam gear spacer, cam gear, and fuel pump eccentric. Got rid of the eccentric and shortened the dowl to flush with the face of the cam gear, then put a huge thick washer over it to retain the dowl, and held it in with the piece supplied with the aluminum case cover...

7. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

exactly what I did.....

8. SPOONS - "Great minds think alike"...:D

9. Nice work 345 !! Lookin good...

Rat

10. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

When we are the only 2 guys out here doing the SBC conversion, we better have like minds!!!:rolleyes:
    Took mine out for its 1st drive yesterday.. tons of power..no brakes.:eek:
    (bad pedal ratio and needs a new M/C). Runs great with the 4bbl..I wonder how its gonna work with the two 94's....

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  11. power58

power58

Great looking engine, that baby is gonna do some talkin, looking forward to future pics. Keep up the good work.

12. FINALLY got my custom whiz-bang push rods from Smith Brothers, and installed them this afternoon. Filled the blower drive with gear oil, filled the engine with break-in oil/filter, oiled up the transmission, and mounted the coil. Pulley spacer, blower belt, fan/spacer, and oil pump primer all on the way. This week it will fire...do or die...:D

Attached Files:

13. BadBlownMotor

BadBlownMotor
    from Michigan

So... If your building a 291 blown roller motor, what kind of blower are you going to run on it? What manifold will you be using? Just curious.

14. Gigantor

Gigantor

Thanks for the inspiration. Click - Subscribe.

15. BADBLOWNMOTOR - "Home made" intake, 6-71...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  16. Tried priming the oil pump/galleries/etc. with a 1/2 drill motor, and using a mechanical gauge. Oil came out everywhere it should, but do what I might, I could NOT get over 5lbs of oil pressure. Tried rolling it over with the starter, since oil was pumping...5lbs. Well, needless to say there's 4 scales on the gauge...and I was reading the "Bars" scale!!...:eek::mad:. Reading the "PSI" scale put it at 30lbs while cranking, so everything is fine in the oil pressure department...:D Now, to get it all back together, and fire it tomorrow...

Attached Files:

17. Ruiner

Ruiner

Good plan to wait until tomorrow...no good ever comes from rushing through things...be sure to get some video of it running for the first time...

18. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Sounds like me...I had NO oil pressure when I primed mine..
    I had the remote lines on backwards:rolleyes:

19. Bullrack

Bullrack
    from Louisiana

Looking good 345 Desoto. We want video. Spoons, did you get your problems with your Desoto worked out?

20. Spoons...

Attached Files:

21. Got set back a day on fireing it up. Found a new blower drive thingy that goes on the end of the drive to put a 1/2" drive starter on. Had bought it, thinking I'd need it, and threw it on the back of the bench. It indexes on the pulley and has the 6 bolt holes in. I cut the 1/2" inch drive end off it, and the hole that was left in the center was the exact diameter of my crank bolt...3/4". Now the blower crank pulley registers on the drive thingy, and the drive thingy is perfectly centered on the crank and retained by the balancer bolt, and the six bolts go through it, too, and bolt to the crank hub. Tomorrow for sure...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  22. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Got it all worked out
    ...Am trying a new intake w/ 2 94's (That Tardel Y unit) and having BIG problems with it. Intake is ICE COLD, and will only run with the chokes semi-closed...Its close, Working with Dickster now trying to Iron it out.....
    Don't want to run a single 4bbl. even though it runs GREAT!!

23. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Yeah I Know....:D

24. This morning at 09:43 (Full Moon, by the way) my engine came to life...then, THE DAMN BATTERY DIED! At least I've got a bit of video of it fireing up, but it's a Cell Phone video and I don't know how to get it on here...:confused:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  25. Well....where is the vid man?

Does it sound NASTY??

Rat

26. RAT - It sure DO sound nasty!:D That roller cam is a WORLD of difference over the Stocker. As soon as I can figure out how to get the Cell Phone video on here, I'll have it up. Five months ago I started with a bare frame and a bunch of pieces parts. I got done what I had set as a goal to do...this year...

27. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

Could you do a complete writeup on your engine please. I would like to know what the heck to do about the water pump. Some people say I have to go with a latter model cam because the cam is shorter and some say I can cut my cam down. And I have contemplated putting my blower on the Hemi. Also, the lifters. Would you put some info out on solid/hydrolic flat tappet stuff also? Thanks

28. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, c'mon man!! I'll BUY you a battery, just get that thing fired and get me some video! The suspence is KILLING me!

Good luck, -Abone.

29. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

That's your choice.... with the SBC H2O pump, you cut the end off and figure out a way put the bolt in the end and keep the cam timing with a Keyway, or without ( as me and him have done).
    Not much to do if you use the stocker, try to locate one...