Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 Chevy 150 utility sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jer, Sep 6, 2005.

1. henry29

henry29

The window was held in with a rubber seal and the inside garnish molding, similar to the rear quarter windows in the four door sedans.

2. dirtcop

dirtcop

This is my '55' 150 sedan. It was owned by a high school buddy that went to Viet Nam in January, 1967 and was killed in action in July, 1967. He had parked the car in his mother's driveway and it stayed there until I bought it from Kenny's brother about two years ago (the mother had passed away several years ago). I got it running right away and I use it for my daily driver. There definitely are no frills, but it has a tired 283 c.i. engine (it had been changed back in the day) with a 3-speed overdrive column shift. Because the car was parked in the high desert here in southern California it faired pretty well. Bascially, it is the same as a Bel Air and 210, but with absolutely no cosmetic options. The 150 was about $150 less than a 210, which was about that much less than a Bel Air. My understanding is the business 150 had no rear seat. Mine has a rear seat, no arm rests, rear windows do not roll down, and only drivers side sun visor.

Attached Files:

3. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

My father had an extremely original, survivor '55 Chevy 150 two-door Utility sedan in the early Eighties that was in fantastic condition. We really didn't know a lot about it back then other than the fact that it was just kinda neat with the fixed rear windows and factory wooden rear floor still in place. Supposedly, it had come from Bell Telephone or something. Only owned it for a short while then sold it to a fellow that I think still owns it to this very day.

4. coming from the most badass 55 belair hardtop in arizona :D

5. reichart90

reichart90

mine...
    [​IMG]

originally owned by Lucky Strikes Cigerette Co.

Does your '55 have the platform in the back seat area. And if the platform is not there, is there remnants of the stanchions spot welded to the floor for platform support? Like everyone else said, no roll down back windows. On my car there actually is a filler panel that the rear windows sits on. It fills the gap where the window would have slid down if it was a roll down window.

-Tim

6. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Cool rides and stories fo sho, but can anyone honestly answer this question?:cool: Kevin

7. It had some extra sheet metal channel and a solid rubber seal. Could be converted by adding the regulator and removing the seal channel sheet metal.

8. evolvo

evolvo
    from Seattle

Well this is a pic of a 150 business coupe that I found in a gas station parking lot in Silver Spring, Md when I was 16. 1966 . I bought it for $200 from the station owner when at the time you could get a "normal" 55 for $50. He had maintained the car for the grandma that owned it and got it from her when she bought up. Even though I knew this was a rare car and paid a premium price I cut it up and built a gasser, go figure. As stated by numerous posts before it had a drivers visor only, radio delete, an optional Arvin heater, stationary rear windows and a plywood rear deck instead of a seat with a rubber mat, no carpets. One thing I remember being fascinated by was the rear plywood floor. When I removed the rubber mat I found a Chevrolet part tag stapled to the plywood with a Chevy part number! Just for grins I went to the local Chevy dealer and had him look up the part #, don't remember the price but it was available!! I was told at the time these cars where sold to traveling salesman, they could store their suitcases and display equipment on the rear deck, hence they where known as "business coupes". This car is still driven somewhere near Germantown, Md.

Attached Files:

9. henry29

henry29

I thought I did? :(

10. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Almost. What held the glass? Stamped brackets spotwelded to the window frame? Where and how did those brackets secure to the body? Is the rubber exactly the same as a functional window post car? Did it use fuzzies? Lil stuff like that.:D Thanks Henry

Bad ass 55 evolvo. Thats how every 55 should look. I dig the tube bumper.:cool:

11. swbatt

swbatt

metal clips. Flat stock, shaped into kind of a "u" shape and screwed to the inside of the frame. I am looking for some myself. I think there were several on each of the sides and top. They push against the rubber seal.

12. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey!
    I have a 57 150 w/factory no back seat I have had for about 5 years & after doing some research you could order just about anything you wanted back then! Mine is no back seat & rear windows rool up & down & fin chrome is long ones not short & was told it was called a Delivery Sedan! six Cyl 3 on tree! Don't know how to post pics yet but send your email & I will send you pics! Tks Bill [email protected]

13. str8axle55

str8axle55
    from MA

The rubber was different, I think CCI has it. The glass also may be different, I have a pattern for it. There is a bracket that holds the glass. I don`t think it is avail repro, I was going to make one when I retrofitted mine, but sold the car first.

14. 55chevy

55chevy

A guy here I talked with has a 56 150 sedan that he says has these clips, he stumped a 55-57 parts dealer that said he's never seen them in a 55-57, I havn't seen his car yet. I also have a 55 Dealer's Album that has a page on the utility sedan, not real good detail, it's at work and I'll try and see if I can scan that page.

Like my name??? ;) Funny, I don't have a 55 at the time.

Also check out Tri-five.com, good forum

15. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

16. str8axle55

str8axle55
    from MA

That`d be a sweet one to own.

17. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Heres a real 55 utility sedan. I stole these from the TLB site. Note all the little differences between this model and a regular 2 door sedan.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]