Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's see some sheet metal shaping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jhnarial, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Here's the 33 3-piece hood I was talking about. Alloy 1-piece top, Mild Steel sides. I'll be returning the car as you see it, to the shop (Blackjack Engineering in Auckland) who contracted me to fit up the front clip ( bout an 8 hr drive ) on monday.

Shrapnel :cool:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  2. HOTTRODZZ

HOTTRODZZ

Nice shapin Shrap - Very nice - what did you do for a under frame, hinge & latch..??

How Thick was your Aluminum..??

3. Started with a Dan Fink Hinge Kit , modified it a little , added some extra tubing (rect & round) to make it suite the 33.
    Hood Top frame is 1/2 x 1 down the swage line, hinge side as supplied, catch side made from scratch as the kit supplies you with 2 folded piece's and not as strong. The hoops are from 5/8 dia tube and made to suite.
    Hood top is from 0.063" 3003 H14 , my second to last sheet :eek: . We dont have it on the shelf here in "Little OL New Zealand" so it's time to import some more. Shrunk the heck out of it over the bull-nose and did some "tree stump" beating , this is the deepest bull-nose I've done , and is about the depth of a stock hood. Usually We've laided the grill back a little more and lifted it so the bull-nose ends up shallower. The swage is'nt perfect, but blend's itself in by about halfway with just a little filler. As you see it now, the gaps are about 1/16" or less (except where the hoodside meets the grill which is about 1/8" with a folded return) and it's up to the panel/painter man to gap it all good in the body prep stage (easyier to take it off than put it on :D).
    Grill is a Valley item with Dan Fink insert.

Attached Files:

4. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Man that looks nice!

5. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

That 33 hood looks good. Here's a 32 hood I did a while back;
    [​IMG]

And a 33 hood;
    [​IMG]

And a 29 hood;

[​IMG]

and a Zipper
    [​IMG]

BradinNC likes this.
  6. HOTTRODZZ , BAILEIGH INC , CABRIOLETHIBOY . Cheers for the feedback guy's.

I like the Narrowed 32 grill cabriolethiboy, I've done a couple of cars like that, did you put much bull-nose into the hood to get it to flow nice onto the grill?
    Pinched Nose 32's, yum yum yum :)

Race Breed / Hot Rods ,,, I checked your site out HOTTRODZZ ,,, Wow , with some Wow , and a big serving of WOW on the side. Be great to see these cars in the flesh.

I've got more pic's of cars I've been involved with over the years, I'll post them in the next day or two.

7. marioD

marioD

Here's fender for a 1931 Riley Special i made last week have to build 3 more now.... it's 1.5 millimeter Aluminium wire edged and center beaded
    in my Trumpf Nibbler.

Mario

Speedlook Rod&Custom
    www.speedlook.de

Attached Files:

8. HOTTRODZZ

HOTTRODZZ

COOL STUFF..!

Thanks for the details & comps Shrap..

Love The Zipper...!!

Cab - what are you using to beed the hood edge...?

Looks real nice...!

9. HOTTRODZZ

HOTTRODZZ

Mario - how did use get such a nice finish on the center bead using a nibbler..??

Ever time I do tooling like that in my PullMaxx the finish is always choppy - er.

10. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

Attached Files:

12. Heres a couple of pic's of an earlyier 33 hood I did with less bull-nose , showing the shrink marks and then with it cleaned-off.

Attached Files:

13. Heres some pic's of a pinched nose 32 tudor I did some work on. 3 piece hood (stretched) all in 3003 0.063 H14. and the narrowed up 32 grill out of my adjustable mould (sorry , its fiberglass).

Car was built by Rods by Reid in Tauranga , New Zealand . Check John's web site here www.rodsbyreid.co.nz . Well worth a look and definitely "World Class"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  14. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

That is a great website!

15. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

Looks good. Probably an easier way than the way I do it. Seems like there is always more than one way to get a job done. I am impressed by all of the talent on this board.

16. carbuilder

carbuilder

Here is the lates update on the 41 COE front fenders I am reworking almost ready to start on the lower front chin into wheel arch area, what do you think Danny.
    DSCN0689.JPG
    DSCN0690.JPG
    DSCN0691.JPG

17. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks for posting! Keep us updated.

I will be doing some demos on our Power Hammer and will post up some pics.

18. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

More metal shaping pics!

I know you guys are working on stuff, let's see it!

19. BarryA

BarryA

Not up to the standard of some of the stuff here, but I'm happy how it turned out. Did some patchwork (including entire rear panel below the window), 2" chop and built floors & tunnel for a pickup a buddy is building. This is a cut down sedan and was a little rough
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now back to building my own stuff.....

Barry

Attached Files:

20. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

21. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

22. Nice work BarryA. Shrapnel :cool:

23. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Keep this thread going!

More metal shaping please

24. trad27

trad27

volkswagen or not this guys work is amazing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  25. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Nice!

26. Holy crap - that is amazing, especially all hand work. Looks like a factory piece.

27. Customikes

Customikes
    from SoCal

Everytime that I come back to this tread I'm so impressed with the talent onboard here. The fact that most call themselves beginners, amatures etc is amazing. All of your stuff rocks the boat and show the talent that is hidden here at HAMB.

Thanks for teaching me something in almost all posts.

Keep sharing please.

Mike

28. Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  29. redoxide

redoxide

Fantastic work, love this metal shaping stuff. mind you seeig some of the fabulous parts on here makes me think I ought to give up..:)

Here is my effort, nothing fancy, the start of a front wing in ali for a 1930 Alvis .. pics should be easy to follow. actual forming took abut 30 mins..!! formers took longer.

Im always interested in shaping with a pullmax / trumph.. I bought a Trumpf, cheep, s a future investment, Ive converted th motor and have it runing but never made a single dent with it yet .. :(

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  30. redoxide

redoxide

continued: Its only half way through, still a way to go..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
    robert4005 likes this.