Register now to get rid of these ads!

Overflow Coolant Recovery Tank Install

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blacktopper, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Blacktopper

Blacktopper

I just purchased a 17" Coolant Overflow Tank from Tops and was wondering if the top of the tank has to be level with the top of the radiator? I have a '56 Fairlane with a re-cored stock radiator to cool the '68 390. Instead of peeing on the ground, I thought a coolant recovery tank would be in order. Any help on this install would be greatly appreciated.

2. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

I don't think it has to be level with the top of the tank.

The water flows into the recovery tank as the water gets hot and expands slightly.

The water flows back into the radiator due to the water cooling off and losing volume which causes a slight vacuum and pulls the overflowed coolant bank in thru the small spring loaded piece in the middle of the radiator cap.

3. Ghost28

Ghost28

Yep correct...John

4. InPrimer

InPrimer

My recovery tank top (sealed) is lower than the rad cap, as stated, the overflow will absorb the water from the rad and when things cool off it will get sucked back into the rad... been that way for over 10 yrs...

5. Blacktopper, like everyone else has said it can be lower then the radiator cap. I would like to see pics of your 56 ford and what your doing to it. I have a 56 fairlane aswell and im doing a bunch to it. Thanks

6. flossie127

flossie127

i dont have pics but hope this one looks like it..

[​IMG]

hope this could help you...