Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures The Kustom Photography of George Barris....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Evel, Jul 28, 2009.

1. There's no business, like show business!

2. MarkX

MarkX
    from ...TX

very cool,.... will you have some copies available when you come to the show?

3. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

I don't know when i'll have copies...I hope to have them for the show...but will see..

4. good that we are seeing a positive side of George. He contributed and is responsible for a whole lot of positive rod/custom stuff. Thanks Piero and George.
    C

5. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

That's exactly right and why the very best of his work should be published as a major project coffee table book. That's assuming that someone is actually in possession of the definitive, best-of-the-best negatives of his career.

Daryl Starbird is another customizer who also started photographic contributions to the west coast magazines early in his car building and promotion career and should have an impressive archive, if he indeed still has it all.

6. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

looks like you got george a bigger shirt for this interview. the last one was.....a little distracting....

7. Im going to hold my breath .... CANT WAIT ...

8. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

If Mad Fabricators made it-- I'm buying it!

Them boys keep it entertaining! :D

9. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

I know George is a role model for many guys on the HAMB... :D

[​IMG]

10. Can't wait!!!

11. MarkX

MarkX
    from ...TX

wow thats the life, traveling to car shows and signing boobs.....I wanna grow old to be just like Barris!!!.........

12. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

All young aspiring automotive photographers should be forced to watch this cant wait for this to come out

13. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Allot of the neg's are in the Barris collection as well.. as a matter a fact there's a file cabinet full of neg's ....

The book is being worked on as we speak.. Brett was actually working on it before the DVD and hit me up cause there was so many cool pix that he wanted a DVD and a table
    top book.. The book is going to be really kick ass and should be out mid next year...
    it will also be packed with color pix as well..

Hahahaha George dressed himself.. better yet its on backwards because the logo is bigger
    he does it all the time... always a promoter,,, :D

I agree its really a great lesson in Hot Rod photography,, On Saturday i'm interviewing a
    young guy that uses all the old cameras and works a A.I. witch is a professional photo
    lab... and were going to go through the process of developing old style film...

14. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

cool man cant wait to see it great idea I dont miss developing my own film though I wont lie lol

15. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Update:
    I'm on the tail end of the editing... Yaaaaaaay!!
    OK so the DVD is now going to be a 2 disk DVD... The first disk will be the Movie
    witch features Larry Watson, Greg Sharp, Brad Masterson and we just added
    Jay Mason...and deleted scenes

Jay is a photographer that uses old cameras and emulates George's photography...
    Check out his site:

http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/chromeandlight

Thats just disk 1... Disk 2 is "The Slideshow" its 75 minutes of 3 second stills of Barris
    shots Scored by the Dynotones.... its picture overload!!!

Heres the category that I arranged the pictures

Hot Rods
    Early Kustoms
    Motorcycles
    Hey Ladies
    Pinstripers
    At the Show
    Built to Race
    Things Are getting Wild
    Radicle Kustoms
    Modern Kustoms
    Futuristic

its pretty cool... you can just throw the DVD in and watch 1000's of stills that may have never been seen...while Rocking out to the Dynotones!!!!

I should have a release date by next week when we start Pre- Sales...

evel

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  16. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Evel, this just awesome man!! I can't wait.... And your wife did a GREAT job! Total Pro and very soothing , not all stupid loud Hot Rod TV narration. Classy!!

Ian

17. Daddyfink

Daddyfink

This is the type of stuff they should be showing on SPEED! Real car shit!!!

Kick Ass!

18. sixfink

sixfink
    from Germany

few bands out there today that can do surf that'll get me hooked. Boss Martians would come to my mind, but nothing beats the old Challengers or Dick Dale before he got his first case of cancer.

Oddly enough, a lot of documentaries about hot rods are backed by surf tunes, like that "tales of the rat fink" thing.
    Not that I wouldn't like surf music, but is that really H.A.M.B.y? Just curious.

Honestly, I would have expected a Milner quote here, like "I don't like that surfin' shit. Rock and roll's been going down hill ever since Buddy Holly died!"

19. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

First off... Boss Martians are Garage Rock... not surf.. :D
    and i've been putting Surf music on my DVD's since 2003 ..this DVD is about Barris
    and not the HAMB and I don't think any one is going to complain about the music with the
    content I have...but I really think Surf is correct music.. especially since allot of the pictures are takein in California in the mid 50- 60's and it fits really well..

I could put some Doo wop , or some loud Rock a siily but I don't think it fits.. the people
    that put out those Rat Rod DVD's can use that..

And last The Dynotones are one of the Longest lasting california Surf bands that lasted
    since the late 90's surf revival + there on my Label :D

20. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

There is talks about it being on PBS with George doing an infomercial... its just talks
    right now..but will see...

We definatlly going to try to get it on TV somewhere... and were going to do film festivals as well..

21. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Ow ya and that Tales of a Rat Fink was garbage...

22. TJratz

TJratz

I would like a copy as well.

23. Kooter

Kooter
    from Burbank

Killer Trailer P!
    LOVE the effect you got with the stills, blurs n glows. Really top notch!
    Also - that VO gal has a future! ;)
    Straus

24. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Great DVD.I can't wait to get my copy.

25. 36C8

36C8

Not many people are aware of the many, many photo-shoots George did in the fifties of OTHER peoples rods and customs for the magazines back then. I'm looking forward to this.

26. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Maybe my barn find will be in there.LOL!

27. Can't wait.

Checked out Jay's site very cool photography! The overall shots of Ink n Iron look exactly like something George would have shot.

28. 65Riviera

65Riviera

when can I buy 2??:D

29. Van Dutch

Van Dutch

Still out there I'm sure just hopefully having some respect for his son who is involved and for Evel.

If its like the MFS it will be awesome and original and entierly watchable.

30. Van Dutch

Van Dutch

Dude, (and I use that term with respect because you seem like a surf music afficianado) have you seen a Mad Fabricators DVD? Surf music fits perfectly with the content, the cinematography style, and the editing rhythm. It just works so why f with it? That shit is like serendipitous syncopated genius.