Register now to get rid of these ads!

Safety Warning about low crowned shrinking disc!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by John_Kelly, Aug 9, 2009.

1. John_Kelly

John_Kelly

After making in the neighborhood of 500 discs (about 200 of them low crowned), I have just received my first report of a low crowned shrinking disc showing a complete failure with pieces of the disc flying off. Nobody was hurt, I am relieved to say, but anyone using one of my low crowned discs should contact me a for a full refund.

I do not yet know if the customer was using the edge of the disc on the work or not, or if the disc was inspected regularly for cracks, but prudence requires an immediate recall. I will refund the total including shipping, please throw away the disc and keep the video. My email: [email protected].

I am contacting everyone whose email I have as well, but thought that posting here would be the fastest way to make sure nobody gets hurt. I am recommending that people purchase a shrinking disc from Wray Schelin as he is still making them with a safety edge. Wray's email: [email protected]

I apologize to the community for potentially placing people in danger.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com

2. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey John,

I can not comprehend how someone using this tool as it was designed, instructed and sold, could arive at this outcome! Perhaps one of the discs with the ribbs on its' surface, with a million hours of use, run at 10-12 thousand r.p.ms., but not under standard service conditions! This is unusually unusual!

Thanks for sholderin' the responsibility for gettin the word out to the pubilic. Will there soon be warning labels on sandpaper informing us of the dangers should we chew it or ingest it?

Swankey Devils C.C.
    "Spending A Nation Into Generational Debt Is Not An Act Of Compassion!"

3. manyolcars

manyolcars

Thank you but I am NOT giving up my disc!

4. Wow, one of my employees is using one of your low crown shrinking discs and discovered hairline cracks recently and minor chips coming off the end. I am letting him know about this thread.

Thanks for the heads up.

5. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

You Sir are a STAND UP DUDE.

6. loogy

loogy

Wow, John! I never like to see honest, upstanding guys in a situation like this. So, do you think that the wheels are just work hardening or ?

7. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

John, Thanks for the heads up. I view tools like these as consumables anyway. So you won't be seeing a package from me. Larry

8. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I agree 100%.
    If someone has used the shrinking disc to the point of cracks forming then its time to retire the old one and buy a new one.
    I look at it like a sanding disc...it's not gonna last forever like an anvil or something! There is a lifespan!!!!

John....your one of the good guys.

9. lamy_chop

lamy_chop
    BANNED

hell, by virtue of the fact that you show people how to make their own shrinking disc, instead of buying one from you, shows that you are one of the last few good guys left.

10. striper

striper

I don't have one, but you sure are showing what you are made of jumping on this the way you are. Thumbs up from me John.

Pete

11. belair

belair

Props to you, man.

12. slamdpup

slamdpup

should everyone be concerned or just some recent (purchased) or recently made disk or old disk?.. mine isnt showing any cracks or anything but i havent used it but a handful of times ....are you gonna be making them with the safety edge

13. John_Kelly

John_Kelly

Thank you all for the kind words! I think the disc that failed had to have shown signs of cracking well before it failed, but I have not heard back from my customer yet. Most people have opted to keep their discs and not ask for a refund which has been a pleasant surprise. I plan to keep using mine and also checking it for the first sign of cracks forming at the edge. I am thinking about a different method of making a shrinking disc that does not stress the edge of the disc as much, but won't be playing with it for a few months.

So, anyone who keeps using the low crowned disc, please watch for cracks and do not use the very edge of the disc on the work!

Thanks, John www.ghiaspecialties.com

14. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

John,
    I was planning on buying a disc from you, but read this post. I contacted Wray and will be buying one of his discs. What is you honest opinon of his video compaired to yours on "how to". Thank you for your honesty and answers.

15. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I'll second that

16. rodsnhawgs

rodsnhawgs
    from WV

John: I too appreciate the character you display - not only in this issue, but in the manner of which you have done business in the past.

My disc works great albeit a little weird running that thing close to my flesh!

Forgive my ignorance here...how will I know if mine if of the "low crowned" design? versus what?

17. FuelFC

FuelFC

And this folks is what real customer service and "traditional" used to be like.

John, good on ya and way to take care of the situation and the customers.

18. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

I've got one of these disks too.

I have not used mine much, and it's still in pristine condition.

Thanks for the heads up, but I will continue to use mine, albeit with one eye constantly out for stress cracks.

When it cracks, I'll toss it and buy another, just like any other tool that wears with use.

I do appreciate the notice about the potential problem though.

Much easier to avoid a crap-up if you know it's coming ahead of time.

19. John_Kelly

John_Kelly

Hi SMOKINFLATHEAD,

Of course I like my video better : ). Wray's has a more traditional method off dent repair, and is professionally done, and in near real time with little editing, a good video. I did mine myself with the exception of some of the earlier parts which were shot and edited by a friend. My full length video has a lot more than just dent repair in it and is very tightly edited so that it moves along quickly. A lot of what is in my video is free on youtube. See the link below. I think you can find a less biased review of Wray's video on metalmeet.com

rodsnhawgs,

The low crowned disc has no flange on the edge.

Thanks, John www.ghiaspecialties.com