Register now to get rid of these ads!

White Wall tires cleaning ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frenchy Dehoux, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Lets hear some feedback on how you guys and gals clean your White Wall tires what is the best cleaner to use. I have for years use Comet / Ajax with a damp towel to clean my White Walls. Yesterday I was talking with a good friend of mine and he told me that on his Buick Led Sled he uses the simple green liquid to clean his White Wall. I have tried it today and it cleaned all of the yellow edges I had on mine and came out great.

Thanks
    Frenchy

2. James66g

James66g

I am a huge fan of westleys white wall cleaner I hate breathing it but they do call it bleach for white walls! that and belive ot or not I just windex the tires after I am done washing the car I use windex on the chrome wheels I just wipe the tires down to gives em a flat but darker sheen?

3. seldom scene

seldom scene

Simple green works for me. I saw on here a few years back that whitewall aerosol cleaners dried the natural oils out of the tires and should be avoided.

4. CadillacBob

CadillacBob

The problem with Comet and Ajax is that they contain bleach. Bleach will cause your whitewalls to yellow and craze.

As a no bleach alternative, Barkeepers Friend works wonders on Whitewall tires and will not promote yellowing, or crazing. I've used this for years on my '59 Fleetwood. Now it's time for new tires, due to wear. The only discoloration I've seen is from the sun and it's not yellow, but faded...

Hope this helps,
    Bob

As a side note, do NOT get this stuff on your paint! It contains mild abrasives that will scratch the living daylights out of a good paint job...

5. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

6. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

bristle brush and soap with a little elbow grease.

7. Tx51chevy

Tx51chevy
    from Texas

8. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

I have always used Westleys.

9. sixfink

sixfink
    from Germany

10. owen thomas

owen thomas

Westley's Bleche-Wite - been using it since 1956. The neat thing about Bleche-Wite was that it also cleaned the black part of the tires too, not just the whitewalls. All the other tire creams, bronze bristle brushes, SOS pads did’t work as well. Greatest thing ever for whitewalls and for cleaning any rubber. This stuff rejuvinates rubber. Try it.
    Haven’t had whitewalls since I turned them inside on my Cadillac years ago (the older guys thought I was nuts), but I still go thru a gallon of Bleche-Wite every year or so, using it to clean blackwall tires, rubber hoses, and detailing other rubber parts.
    Back in the 50’s we wanted the black of the tires to look really clean, but not shiny the way they do today with Armor All or whatever. I still think the glossy black looks strange, but that’s the way it is.
    Back in the 50’s, nothing was cooler that a car with a set of Kelly Celebrity white walls...damn, those were good times for sure.

11. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Ditto

12. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

The stuff from coker is great and wont dry out the tire or cause yellowing..designed for white walls from a white wall company.

13. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

SOS was the other choice

a brass whitewall brush & cleanser

14. The first thing I ever looked up here on the HAMB is this topic. I like using Mr Clean Magic Erasers. They arn't that expensive and I've never noticed any bad effects from using them.

15. Prostreet32

Prostreet32
    from Indy

The cheapest white wall cleaner and the most effective without scratching the surface off white wall tires is the "Pink-Pensil-Eraser" get the largest one you can find,.. it doesn't put 'scratches' in the white wall material like sos pads or other abrasives, and doesn't wear the white off in time like those expensive chemical cleansers. Truely an old-school trick;...( cheap, effective, white wall friendly, and your tires will last twice as long!),..or go ahead and spend the big bucks on the
    'popular' stuff,.. ( or smile all the way to the bank like i do...LOL)... <WINKS>

16. onenew32

onenew32

Had some new Coker Silvertowns that while I was waiting to complete the chassis they went on got stacked and covered at the back of the shop. about 8 months later I discover that the black from one tire has "leeched" for the lack of a better term, on to the whitwall it was setting on. after trying everything I knew, Westleys, SOS, etc, I called Coker and they let me know i was screwed, just have to buy some more (yeah, right. another reason I love Coker) Any Ideas? :mad:

17. wild willey

wild willey

Westleys Bleach White... Tried and True 100 % positively the best. "Stuborn area" use a soft bristol brush "IE... medium toothe brush". NEVER been disapointed.

18. Jay Ess

Jay Ess
    from New York

I have the same problem except my WWs now have Goodyear imprinted (mirror image) on the whitewall. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

19. MEMPHIS RAT

MEMPHIS RAT
    BANNED

i've always used gasoline, beleive me its the best...just dont light a cigareete for a few days..:D...

luke

20. Westleys with a brush for normal cleaning, scotch brite and Westleys for those tougher jobs. Like a back tire on a motorcycle.

21. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Westley’s cant be beat, but if theres aluminum (like moon discs) anywhere near it you will be refinishing it.

22. millersgarage

millersgarage

Coker told me that Bleach white will dry out the whitewall, and cause that dry crack look.
    I have never had good results with the Coker brand stuff though. Lots of elbow grease works for me, but Now I wanna try the Simple Green

23. It may dry out their tires, I've never had a set.

24. cruzingratiot

cruzingratiot
    from Detroit MI

kerosene
    had black spots on a new set of 3 in ww tires 25 years ago
    an older geltlemam said use kerosene
    it worked for me
    Paul Jug

25. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

I've posted before about Kingsford charcol lighter fliud this stuff cleans white walls like it was made for them, I just got back from Nevada I drove over a 100 miles(800 miles total) in a friging storm and the tires looked like crap I took my roadster to a self serve car wash blasted the car and tires and it didn't do shit for the tires , came home used Kingford and it cleaned them like new, I run Cookers on the roadster and Diamond Backs on the woodie been using Kingsford for about 18 months no problems plus its cheap, try it, it works............. I just soak a shop(white) rag and wipe the white wall no spraying no scrubing..............:D

26. eightbanger

eightbanger

27. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Got my wide whites from Diamond Back. Great tires and they gave me a HAMB discount when I asked (they are not in the HAMB vendor list). I believe Westleys contains bleach, and Diamond Back recommends to NOT use bleach. Check it out... http://www.dbtires.com/faq.htm#2

28. did you ever locate your Ghia ? Met you a few years ago while visiting Bill Brewer. I use sos pads on my 49 Business Coupe, simple green is a good also. I also have used Wesley's also.... Rob-Red say hi to Bill if you see him.

29. 53 effie

53 effie

I've just used that purple stuff - Castrol Super Cleaner. Spray it on and watch the yellow turn to all oily looking. Rinse it off with water and repeat as required. Some spots may need a little elbow grease.

That's what I do with the white walls on my Harley...

30. They really do a great job at cleaning off the grime.