Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats the stupidest thing you let pass through your hands

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LarzBahrs, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Homemade44

Homemade44

Mercedes Benz gullwing serial no 1 in running condition for $6000. Wife still reminds my how stupid I was not to buy it.

2. The stupidest thing to ever pass thru my hands was my ex girlfriend/stripper........looked hot as hell, but she was as dumb as a twinkie

3. burgetts99

burgetts99
    from Cincinnati

In 1985 (at the age of 14) I sold a beautiful .410/22 over under that my Dad bought me for my birthday (my first gun). I turned around and bought a new moped with it.

I didn't realize what a stupid move this was until I was in my twenties.

Now that my Pop's gone, I really feel like an idiot.

4. BEER102

BEER102

Alot of cars that I wish I still had...never paid more then 1800 and that was for the 69 ss chevelle. heres a link to some pic ... the yellow nova was my my first car and I was just a kid with air shocks and cragers from the saugus swap meet. http://www.bigredscustoms.com/mysite7/my_old_cars.htm
    the black road runner wasnt mine. It was a friends. we were at bakersfield for the muscle car nationals. That was an original hemi race car and had a stroked hemi that went 10.8 , hit a pot hole in the pits and put a hole in the pan before we could even get a run off.

5. Tony

Tony

A 1966 SS396 Chevelle 4 speed ragtop for 300.00.
    That was back in 88..the car was rough, but ALL there and original..and was red with black guts and white top..
    Another was a 68 SS427 Impala 4 speed for 1000.00. Again, back in 88-89.

Passed on both....Oh well..

One i owned i wish i never sold was a 66 Impala SS..had no reason to sell it but did anyway. I was the second owner and it had less than 60K miles on it. Sold it for around 4500 back in 95..
    Dumbass i was.

6. voodooblackcat

voodooblackcat
    from Pacheco

The only thing that really jumps out right now is a silver dollar slot machine that a guy was trying to sell for gas money at station down south. He wanted $150.00 for it and I only had $80.00. The next guy he asked bought it.

7. koppy

koppy
    from VA

i passed up a 29 A-roadster. all original. $1500. garage kept since the early 60's. didn't have the money, and couldn't get it anywhere. still makes me mad.

8. nitrojoe

nitrojoe
    from Midway,nc

back in 1973 , a 40 ford coupe with a t-bird y block in it for 500.00 didnt buy it because my buddy showed me a big rusthole in the floorboard and he said i could find a betterone, never did!!!

9. Diavolo

Diavolo

I was going to say my ex-wife, then I realized I asked her to marry me... guess she's not as stupid as I was... Kinda reminds me of the guy who yelled at me the last time I took the Ducati out "If it ain't a Harley, it ain't shit!" I said, "so if it is a Harley, it is shit?" He flipped me the bird, roared off and almost wiped it jumping a curb.

Was going to buy my brother's 69 Charger, 383, TF727. He "gave" it to a guy to restore who showed up at his door with a flatbed and a contract written on a piece of spiral bound notebook paper... never saw it again.

10. SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS

SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS
    from BAY AREA

i let a lincoln zephyr 3 window go! damn it!

11. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

there was this pretty, stacked, drunk and completely senseless but willing blonde and it was closing/decision time but I thought she might throw up in my truck.

12. diggers4life

diggers4life

Couple years ago, there was a fairly decent 1934 tudor and some other cars out on some pasture ground I knew of. I talked to the owner, he said I could have them and that they had been sitting there for years. All I had to do was go get them. This guy had literally owned this land forever. It was passed down from his grandpa, then his dad. So, I didn't get in a hurry to go get the cars.

I found out a couple months ago, he sold the land. The new owner decided it would be a good idea to dig a big hole, push the cars into it, smash 'em down good with a Caterpillar and cover them up. :eek:

Boy, I wish I could do that differently.... :mad:

Attached Files:

13. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I had a '55 Chevy 210 with a 327, 4 speed with 4:56's. It was my daily driver. A guy wanted to trade for a steel '41 Willys drag truck that was street legal. 400 sbc and hydro. I turned it down because the truck didn't have windshield wipers or heater and defroster. It was the mid '70's. Oh, the '55 is my avatar,

14. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

'63 "K" Model Fairlane. 289 HIPO, 4 speed, 9" rear. All factory.

15. 54FordPanel

54FordPanel

I have to say, I really feel for you on this one.

16. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

1965 sold to a local guy a rolling duece tub for $1500, and 2 weeks later got a letter from a guy [with Ford motor co. letterhead] asking if i had a duece for sale! kick kick kick

17. a 57 nomad, Or that 68 mustang that I found at a garage sale for $400.

Thenn there was that Caddy just last month.....

18. Threw up in your truck????
    Thats what the bed was for, you could of just hosed it down if she yaked, for that matter her too.....

19. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

Where do I start? In the past years I passed on more stuff than I can count, but the highlights are as follows, '31 A coupe, complete- $1500 asking price. An original '69 R-code, Drag-Pack equipped Mustang, complete- $6900 asking. The Mallicoat Bros twin-turbocharged ('66?) Barracuda funny car, extremely original down to it's Halibrands and complete minus motor- $3300. 1934 3-window body, a little rough but VERY saveable, $600. 1932 5 window body that had formerly been on an altered wheelbase chassis of some sort, rough but again very saveable, free. I also bought a 1966 Cyclone with a buddy. We paid $700 total for the car, I took the car, he took the engine. It was perfect and equipped with a 4 speed, yet I kept it for a few months and sold it for $150. I was offered Skip Hess' "Revell Kit" Mustang AA/GS car that was pretty original but needed restoration for about $2400 in '85. I passed. I'm an idiot, end of story...

20. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

67 GT-500 dual quad 4speed. 13k on ODO for $13K
    38 ford P/u
    39 ford sedan for $1500. running.
    57 Studabaker running...$1000
    56 210 sedan $800...running.
    64 Sport coupe 500
    69 mach 1
    68 Gt-390
    A/C cobra (kit) and a 62 XKE ...5 minutes to late. lady went crazy after her husband died. She said take them away.
    ...:mad:

21. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

I noticed they were getting ready to swap the old for new and said strike! But I spaced and missed it!!
    It was a very large neon sign/marque that said "Cadillac Lanes!" Complete with ball-pins-V8 symbol-all about 6' tall by 10' long!!
    I'm bunk!!!!!!!!!!

22. G'day all,

A 55 Chev post that had been drag raced most of its life. Radiused wheel wells, 4 foot long ladder bars, 4.56 gears, cheater slicks, and a 283 that had been shipped in from CA. Plus the car was red, white, and blue. It also had a 4 speed transmission that whined so loud you could hardly carry on a conversation in the car.

It was my only transportation when I met this cute little Minnesota girl that said she liked fast cars. I wasn't much of a gear head at the time so I really didn't know what kind of piece of history I had so.....I traded it for a Vega and a fresh 283 for my brother's car.

The car was resold and on it's way to Minneapolis when it came off the trailer and was destroyed.

However, the little Minnesota girl did stick around and we will celebrate our 29th anniversary next Sunday. At Pomona.

mitch

23. roadwarrior32

roadwarrior32

In the summer of 1972, I bought this 1960 Ferrari 250 GT California, for $3200. It had 10K kilometers on it, and was in perfect original condition. It was one of 47 built. Some guy offered me $5K for it a year later. I knew of a '32 tub I wanted, so away went the car. Ten years later, it set a record for selling for $2.6 million! The late James Coburn had one of the original 47 that sold last year, setting a world's record for a Ferrari, $10.8 million!!! In the photo, are two very close friends. Hell, the car's gone, the '32 is gone the money's gone, and the two girls are grandmothers. Oh well, at least I can say I owned it.

Attached Files:

24. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Burgett's, was that over-and-under, by chance an Ithaca "Camper's Special" ? If so, those are just like money in the bank. And a .410 to boot?!?! The only ones I've seen were .20-gague. I feel your pain, whatever make it was.

25. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

I've todl some of my woes previously, but there's one I still regret.

Back in '75, I was driving a '62 Stude Hawk 289 4-B with a Borg-Warner 4-speed and Stude's "Twin-Track" (posi) differential. I'd lucked into a '33 Ford 3-W coupe body from an old dirt-track car. My Dad was getting set to replace his fine-running but rusted-out '56 DeS Firedome and its great 330-CID Hemi. I knew I had AT MY DISPOSAL all of the elements for a COOL low-budget coupe. All I'd have had to find would have been an adapter, plus a Ford grille & radiator -- not un-doable. A welding shop said they'd put the coupe body on the Stude chassis for $150.

It was ALL there, and I let other things distract me. I think it was a once-in-a-lifetime chance. And you CAN'T turn back the clock.

26. I let an early ex-drag, steel Fiat Topolino body pass many moons ago. It even included a 9" rear...all for $600. Never have that opportunity again!

Oh well....live and learn!

27. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

I forgot the 327 SBC my neighbor had. He took it out, apart & put a 'vette lT350 in his Chevy. When I said I didn't have room to store the 327, he carried the part up one at a time and threw them in the dumpster. Had his buddies do the same with the block. Maybe I should have tried harder to find a garage, but i didn't even have a pickup in those days, 15 years ago. Oh, well!

28. Howeird46Chev

Howeird46Chev

Boy ,,All you guys are dumb as shit. I'm really glad that in my 67 yrs. i haven't made any of these stupid mistakes,,cause if I had it would mean that I was human. The best thing I didn't let slip through my hands is my wife,,but after 40 yrs.,, she say's she has only asked me to do one thing and I can't get that right,,Win the Lottery!!! I feel the pain that all of you are expressing because we all have missed a hell of a lot of opportunities that whiskey can't let us forget. With that said,,I wish us all better luck in the future..

29. sixpac

sixpac
    from Courtenay

How about a 1962 Chevrolet all alluminum factory front fenders and hood. At the Portland swap meet in the original boxes for $1500.00

30. h0twired

h0twired
    from Winnipeg

I will post for my Dad who has been gone since 2005...

Back in 1973 my dad took a look at a 1933 Ford 5w coupe unmolested and in running condition for $500... didn't want to spend "that much" money so he bought a 1936 Ford 5w coupe with no drive train for $60 instead.

That 36 has been stored inside ever since (still in my mom's garage) and will be started this winter.