Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dan Glover mid-engine gold 57 chevy from Yucaipa California

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevrolet150, Aug 7, 2009.

1. chevrolet150

chevrolet150

I did not want to hy-jack the other thread to ask about this car so I will start another. Does anybody have any info on this car? Old articals and such. I remember this 57 chevy as a kid but could never dig up anything on it untill it was asked about in another thread. Tim

Attached Files:

2. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

That car is one of my top favorite '57's ever...I've been collecting parts to do a replica for 20 years!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. scan0039-2.jpg

scan0038-2.jpg
    Definetly worth finding or recreating

4. I asked about that one a while back. Definately one of my all time favorite 57's. It's funny how this car seems to have just disappeared. One thing about the HAMB that I really dig is that many times somebody will ask what happened to a certain rod or custom and somebody pops up that knows the history, sometimes within minutes.

Even though this 57 appeared in a nationally distributed magazine more than once, for some reason nobody seems to know what became of it. I'd love to know even if it was wrecked or just run into the ground and wound up in a junkyard like so many did back then. Did anybody even know Dan Glover? Does anybody know him now? Maybe he built some other rides? It sure would be nice to get to the bottom of this one.

EVL401 likes this.

5. monsterflake

monsterflake

i'd love to see it today. it's gotta be in a garage somewhere....

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. brownsmetal

brownsmetal

This car or a near clone of it is running around Indianapolis. Its gold and I have seen it a few times at a local cruise spot.

7. It would be fantastic if you could take a couple pics next time ya see it.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

8. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Around 1970, Jim Hoskinson in Santa Monica built a twin-engined '55 Chevy 2-door for drag racing. Pretty nice car; I wonder what became of it?

9. Or how about McMullens twin engined Austin?

10. chevrolet150

chevrolet150

I am gonna bump this in hopes somebody will have some info on this wild 57.

11. brownsmetal

brownsmetal

I will ask around and keep my eyes peeled.

12. ARNIE

ARNIE

My friend Gary Tollefson Bought that car & hauled it back from Cal. in the 70's. He might know where it is. I got some rides in it, UNBELIEVABLE!! It had a free wheeling trans, scarry when you lifted the throttle, it did not slow down.

59IMPALER likes this.
  13. That's the most info I've heard about the car in years. It must have been something to actually ride around in it back then. Today the car would be a mindblower on the street. With the power of the HAMB, somebodys gotta know the rest of the story.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

14. good to hear about this one,alotta cool rides from that era.LONG LIVE STREET FREAKS

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  15. ARNIE

ARNIE

I'll call Gary tomorrow. I know when he worked for me in the 90's , he tracked it down.

16. Oscar73

Oscar73
    from Seattle

Some of you may remember the ill-fated American Drag Racing Association from back in 2001... big plans, big bust. I went to the 3rd and last race, held at Darlington Dragstrip in June of 2001. Since I'd been following the whole saga on our wbsite, Nitronic Research, I figured to see what a series collapsing looked like.

Found a couple things... the McLains and their AA/FD from Delaware, and a SBC AA/FD from NC owned and driven by Lincoln Hassell. On Linc's crew was a fella named Dan Glover... first thing I asked him (and I haven't the faintest how this popped to the forefront of my brain) "Hey, was that your car in Car Craft? The 57 with the motor in the front seat?". I'll be damned if he didn't say "Yeah, that was my car!".

Unfortunately, I was there for controversy and supercharged nitromethane burning action, so I didn't get a lot of details... what I do remember is that Dan worked for an airline then (American, I think) and lived in Georgia somewheres. Nice guy, and was definitely surprised that someone remembered his car. I'm trying to recall what he said about it, but I'm coming up with mental dust... I gotta go to my office and dig out the photos and see if I can find him...

That's all I know!

17. monsterflake

monsterflake

good job guys, sounds like we're getting somewhere...

18. Top notch! I'm startin' to feel like the HAMB is about to solve another "what ever happened to" mystery.

19. 24riverview

24riverview

08-09-2009 10;11;03PM.jpg Doesn't help your search, but here's a bad photo of it at a street machine show of some sort in St.Paul probably mid to late 70's. Must be when Mr. Tollefson owned it, I know it made my day to see it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    EVL401 likes this.
  20. ElPorco

ElPorco
    from Canada

Hi guys,

What magazine is the page scan from? I seem to remember a green '56 Chevy along the same lines as the Dan Glover '57 from an article in Hot Rod (or maybe Rod Ideas or such...). Aaargh, my brain is melting!

Greetings

21. brownsmetal

brownsmetal

The one I saw in Indy is a 56. The guy has owned it since he was 16 and I would say he is in his mid 50s or 60s.Not the car but very similar. I will talk to him the next time I see him.

22. ARNIE

ARNIE

Well, he changed his#. I e-mailed his boss to get his new#. If that fails, he's only 10 miles away.

23. Hey Arnie, thanks for puttin in the time to research this. It'll be super neat to hear what became of this 57 that I been diggin' since I was a kid.

24. ARNIE

ARNIE

O.K. just talked to Gary, he sold it to a guy named Darens(last name), who has passed away. I hooked Gary up with the HAMB, he can add more. Arnie

25. chevrolet150

chevrolet150

cool ...were getting closer to the whats what about the car.

26. monsterflake

monsterflake

okay then, is it buried in some widow's garage?

27. Sumguy

Sumguy

Hi Iam Gary Tollefson, I bought this car from Danny around 74 or 75. I think its funny that about every 5 years or so I come in contact with this car in some way ! Thats Danny in the magazine under the hood & at the wheel, That was me in the pic at the St Paul MN car show ! I will post more latter but to get started the car was listed for sale in the back of Hot Rod mag, I called Danny several times we made a deal I sold every thing I had and a week latter I left WI for CA. On my way out there Danny was installing a new pair of O-Ring heads the blower had pushed out the gaskets and he was not happy with that ! I got there at night and looked the car over but he would not start it becouse it was at night and at his Mom's house ! I got a motel room and I think I peed my pants 2 or 3 times waiting for the sun to come up ! The next day I went over there and I drove the car around to some of his friends house to look at more real cool cars ! We got back and loaded it on my trailer ( thats a story in its self it has to do with a tourch a bunch of real cool guys & the Beach Boys ) Anyway to give you car guys something to talk about over the weekend I gave Danny $3500.00 cash and I was on my way. ( NO I did not miss a zero )
    Thanks, Gary

28. Cool, welcome and thanks for the info!!-MIKE:cool:

29. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

Dun Duh DUh DUHHH. The HAMB strikes again!
    Awesome story.
    Jeff

30. chevrolet150

chevrolet150

Cool Story, Do you still own it? Tim