Register now to get rid of these ads!

HA/GR in Minnesota

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by bobw, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Rand Man

Rand Man

You did a fine job with your rail and your brouchure. Hate to be a "naysayer", but I'm not a big fan of the spelling out the words "Hokey Assed". I think the early members will agree that it started as a joke name for the message board that just stuck. The rails themselves or the members are not hokey assed. More importantly, the "R" stands for Rail, rather than Dragster.

2. bobw

bobw

Your're a pretty good proof reader Rand Man. Sorry about the "Dragster " instead of "Rail". You'll notice I used dollar signs ($$) as in A$$. I can't imagine the "HA" in HA/GR stands for anything else.
    Next printing I'll correct the Dragster/Rail mistake, but until the site name changes and the HA/GR initials are deemed to mean something else, I guess I have to stay with it. With all the crusty language that flies around the HAMB (and in everyday life), I'm kind of surprised you find my use of A$$ to be bothersome.
    Hopefully, running my lone Minnesota HA/GR and handing out brochures will promote construction of more of these great throw-back dragsters. I hope you feel the same way.

3. nexxussian

nexxussian

Bob, IIRC in one of the early threads linked to or transferred to this part of the forum Ryan called them HAMB Gas Rail but shortened it to HA/GR.

4. bobw

bobw

OK, I'll put HAMB/GR on the side of my car.:confused: And in the brochure...

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  5. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

Hell, I think some of the cars and members ARE "hokey assed". LOL

Ron

6. Rand Man

Rand Man

It's really not a big deal. The name is with us forever. I just say the HA refers to the message board of an internet magazine called the Jalopy Journal. When asked about the name, I tell the true story, that Ryan once said "I'm not going to start some hokey assed message board". Later, he did add a message board to the Jalopy Journal, and his friends called him on it. The new board was then called the H.A.M.B as an inside joke to the few members at that time.

It's a very, very minor point. I just play-up the name of the main website The Jalopy Journal.

7. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

The Barn Job's hokey assed, that's why we sit in the front. :rolleyes:

Thanks gentlemen, I needed that today. :D

8. nexxussian

nexxussian

Whatever do you mean?:p

9. nexxussian

nexxussian

Bob,I poorly frased that, If my recollection is correct, it was Ryan himself that shrteed HAMB to HA for the tie in with the class.

10. bobw

bobw

I was not aware of the genesis of the term Hokey Ass in relation to the HAMB. Although I've wondered what it had to do with hot rods, I just assumed it was a term that was embraced by HAMB members (now 80,000 strong). Now that I'm over my snit, I've made changes to the brochure that will make it more palatable to all HA/GR owners. And, honestly, I think it is a better promotion piece with the ASS removed.

11. QQMOON

QQMOON

Looks good

QQ

12. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

As it would seem, the flyer was indeed "hokey assed", seems like poetic irony to me. :eek::)

Beautiful car, one of my favorites.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  13. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Well. I left for the Rock Falls, WI dragstrip this morning in the rain. It rained all the way (90) miles to within a mile of the track. Not a drop of rain fell at the track while I was there. The friends that I was to meet there were scared off by the rain. Hence, no pics from the track.
    The tech guy gave the car a 1 minute walk around. Never asked a question nor pointed out a problem. He checked the date on the harness and the code on the helmet. Why am I so paranoid about tech inspectors?
    I started out intending to go about 60mph. Just to see if it would handle or if my building skills (or lack thereof) would cause the car to veer out of control or the front wheels to bounce like super balls. Neither happened. In fact, on all five runs I could have let go of the steering wheel, It felt that secure.
    It is quite a feeling being out in the open with the engine fully visible, snorting away with all it's 100 or so horsepower.
    The best leaves resulted in about 5-8 feet of wheel spin. I just winged the throttle and popped the clutch. Not a good technique for cutting good, consistent lights. No tach.
    Shifting the old, worn A833 overdrive 4 speed with the original old, worn shifter proved to be quite time consuming. I even missed second once.
    In all, I made 5 runs. I made no adjustments. Just tried to get comfortable in the car. The last run was a 15.80 @ 88mph. The slant 6 is a Craigslist $100 buy. The 10 degrees of timing jump at around 4,000rpm indicates the timing chain could use replacement.
    60 foot times were 2.20. How does this compare with you guys?
    Probably left .3 or more on the track with slow shifting. I understand the appeal of an automatic.
    What about the future? Well. a few more outings with everything as is this year. Just a little attempted tuning.
    This thing needs another 100 h.p. and the right 4 speed with slick shift mods and a good shifter, to be a stimulating, consistent ride.
    My biggest dilemma is how hard to go at the engine. The car will tech to 10:00 and it will probably handle ok running into the 11's. I'll get out my dream wheel and figure out how much H.P it will take to touch the 11's and what that will cost.
    There was some pretty good interest in the car. I handed out some flyers. I do think that being as slow as it was, many of the "real" (Camaro & Mustang) racers just saw it as a novelty.

14. CrkInsp

CrkInsp
    from B.A. OK

Bobw
    Sounds like the bug left a big mark on you. ;) I can hear the excitment in your words. Good job, enjoy it to the max. We will be waiting for the up dates.

15. hoffbug

hoffbug

I pitted next to bob today with my Chevelle.. got a couple of pics..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. CrkInsp

CrkInsp
    from B.A. OK

bobw
    Next time you run the car would you be kind enough to look into your scoop and see if there are fuel droplets hanging from the roof (top) right after a run. Thanks.

17. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Do your cheeks hurt from all of the grinning?:D

18. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

<--Most envious! Good on ya mate. Well done! :)

19. bobw

bobw

hoffbug, It was nice visiting with you & thanks for the pics. Yikes! I'm short, fat and old! Funny, from the inside, I'm none of those things. Damn pics bring reality into focus. Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

Next opportunity to run is at Brainerd in 2 weeks. The Minnesota Street Rod Assn. puts on a members only 2 day hot rod and nostalgia race. The best local event of the year. Free too!

CrkInsp, I'll check for fuel droplets. Hafta write a note on my hand to remember.

64 Dodge 440, My cheeks hurt from sitting on an aluminum seat! While I did enjoy running the car, there was a fair amount of tension bringing out a new, untried machine. That's why I really appreciated the conversation and reassurance from hoffbug. A few people I know came by and were supportive too as were some new acquaintances.
    The trailer you see, I built last year and sized it for my Crosley. The dragster just barely fit. First I loaded it front first but had no tongue weight. It pulled like a dream with my S-10 though.

20. hoffbug

hoffbug

It was nice meeting you Bob.

Your car had me thinking/scheming all the way home... Webbers! tri-y's etc.

Ive always loved the Pontiac OHC6 and the challenges associated with getting good performance lift and duration with that cam tower configuration. but I understand its maybe too new for your rules..

Years ago Clifford research had THE catalog for all of the 6 cylinder speed parts... I remember a pretty stout Valiant running around West St.Paul in the early 80's.... Header , 4bbl, flat tops and a hot cam, and a manual trans...The clutch let go at one point and took the bellhousing and part of the block out with it.. so dont ever feel bad about using an SFI shield.

21. Flywheelers Car Club

Flywheelers Car Club

Hi Bob,

Hey it was nice to meet you at Rock Falls Raceway on Saturday. I enjoined watching your maiden dragster runs.
    I'm the guy in the above pictures wearing the straw hat and the Flywheelers white jacket.

Here are some pictures I shot of your car charging hard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope to run into you at BIR. We will be there running the GSTA dragster.

FCC MONK

22. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

bob, you didn"t have to have any one with you to take action pictures, they show up here by themselves:D:D
    Car looks great going down the track.
    Robert

23. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

top pic, Black duct tape across the back of the body. Was it flappin? We're to that point of picking body thicknesses and material (like this afternoon), don't want to be flappin. :)

24. bobw

bobw

I had to put the car on the trailer rear end first. The side panels caught too much air while towing so I stopped and added the "racer" tape. I doubt there would be a problem racing. I'll add some angle brackets to stop the flapping.

25. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

Now that it's on the track, do you have any "looking back" advice for the noobs that may stumble into your thread? Stuff that took to long or could have been done differently that would have saved a lot of time or made the build easier? What would you change if you did a second car? :)

26. bobw

bobw

Good question, Vector. I've been thinking about it all day, as I work on the thing. Here's a few observations:
    1. Using Model T rails added a lot of work compared to using rectangular tubing. And, it doesn't look much different.
    2. My gas tank is too heavy, took too long to build and has started to leak. I really wanted a Moon style tank but was too cheap.
    3. I would taper the frame rails from the engine forward. Just for asthetics.
    4. If I wouldn't have had a 9" Ford rear end at hand, I would have found a lighter, narrower rear.
    5. I don't like the looks of the Holley electric fuel pump, nor the way I plumbed it. I can't use a stock pump because of frame rail interference. Will probably get an in-line electric pump and hide it.
    6. I'd like a "do over" on the scatter shield. If it wasn't so much work, I'd make a nicer looking one.
    7. Last, but probably the most important is making the decision about the very nature of the build. Did I want to build faithful rendition of a 50's vintage dragster or did I want a dragster that resembled those of the 50's but was modern enough to be fast, quick, reliable and consistent, while still adhering to the HA/GR rules (except as trumped by NHRA rules)?

Even though HA/GR and SDRA are new drag racing entities, the formula for success (winning) has already been established, for "heads up" racing, at least. There really are only a couple options.

So, the prospective builder has to decide what is more important; capturing a significnt element of drag racing history or winning races.

27. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Thursday I was at the junkyard looking for BBD carbs, a spare wheel for my trailer and parts for the next project. And, since my gas tank started leaking and I'm still too cheap to buy a Moon tank, I kept an eye open for anything that might work. I spied this outboard motor remote gas tank and for a couple bucks it was mine. Also, got rid of the Holley pump and installed an in-line pump out of sight under the radiator shell.

28. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    I want to thank Dick (Thingy M) for the idea of using a Ford truck heater fan motor to drive a water pump. Just finished it today and I'm hoping it saves a horsepower or two so I can go a bit faster next week.
    Also, put a "lift it up" strap on the gas pedal and finished the new gas tank, fuel pump and tank vent tube (not the vent tube seen above).

29. the heater motor idea is a good thing, just chews up the battery, but regular charging in the pits will fix that.

Great to see the development of your car, job well done.

Cheers,

Drewfus

30. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

<--- Stealing that heater motor idea. :)