Register now to get rid of these ads!

Many members will discuss insurance, but...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by boldventure, Jul 31, 2009.

1. bill3337

bill3337

Same goes for ICBC in British Columbia. If I have a total loss, they just write me the cheque for the agreed value.......no negotiating values.

2. mj40's

mj40's

Do you still have to be a member of NSRA to apply for their policy?

3. DrHerb

DrHerb
    from Atlanta

my car is a work in progress like everyone else in the world. so if i insure it for "X" then put 5K in redoing the paint.....do i need to get another appraisal? then if i do a interior, another? and so on and so on?

i have allstate...i saw someone said they are rip offs? hmm ive seen ads for other companies, but really?? seems over whelming. and the rules of x amount of miles per year, on the way to a show, blah blah blah...

who is the best for a driver? with out so many rules?

Thanks!

4. skullhat

skullhat

insurance co's vary by area, whats good in one area is a pos in another.

here in socal, allstate are total jack offs, auto club is the absolute best here, mercury and state farm are right there, as far as conventional insurance.
    farmers sucks, and proggressive aint all that hot.
    in your area, it could be different, call a couple body shops and see who they like to deal with, and go with that company.

as for the agreed policy, yes, just notify the co as improvements or deisred increase in value. most likley no need for 2nd appraisal. some co's dont insure incomplete cars, i think i read here that grundy does

skull

5. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

A professional appraisal. Worth every penny.

6. krome

krome

I have J C taylor - they are also agreed value. Both my cars are about $500 a year.

7. appraisal - I was gonna go with $20,000 agreed value but the car appraised at $26,000 so I had to go with the appraised value-nothing more or less in my case

8. but for my 40 Chevy kept it at $5000.00 max without appraisal for now while it is a flatblack runner with nothing pretty inside

9. pitman

pitman

I found Progressive :mad: to be more interested in cutting the (non-HAMB) car's covered value when it was totaled. They are not service oriented, and it took pressure from the State's insurance commission to get them to pay even close to replacement value. An '03 VW Diesel.

10. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

SWAG; Sientific Wild Ass Guess.
    I took what I had in it, g'estimated my labor, then added 4k just for the trouble. I have Haggerty, they require pictures, so I figured that if I went overboard they would call me on it anyhow.

11. boldventure

boldventure

How did you know how much coverage to buy?

12. boldventure

boldventure

Thanks for your answer.
    I don't know where in Co. you are, but we have an office in CO. if you're interested: http://www.autoappraisalnetwork.com/local/Colorado.html

13. Get it appraised.
    Should be a couple of professional licensed appraisers on here.

With paper in hand there is nothing for you to agree on.

14. boldventure

boldventure

Thanks for you reply!
    I started this thread to increase awareness of the importance of obtaining an appraisal.
    I am a professional appraiser.

15. boldventure

boldventure

Thanks Steves32,
    From or PM dialog I learned:
    [ I think they used to be called California Auto Appraisers but can't be sure. Used to do only California. They did a name change at some point & branched out to other states. Might be one in the same, I don't know. In the beginning, they were based in Riverside Ca. The guy who I use has a thick british accent but can't recall his name right now. I have his card somewhere. I usually have my car appraised every 2 years. I'm due for an appraisal on the 32 now but with the current market, I'm afraid the car might loose value! ]
    They are now Auto Appraisal Network.
    AAN has appraisers in many areas, check the website (click on my signature)
    The "British guy" is Jeff Hyman. (His accent isn't that thick:eek:)<!-- / message -->

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

for those of you with an extra old car you don't drive too much and is not worth much I got basic "Classic car" coverage (no collision) on my 61 Dodge for 18.00 a year from State Farm. I think I can drive it 300 miles a year. just enough insurance to keep it registered and have the ability to take it out once in a while

17. boldventure

boldventure

Thanks 49, an appropriate suggestion to an often posed situation!

18. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

A car is often worth more parted out than as a whole. And, it usually costs more to build a car than it will bring on the open market as a finished car. There are exceptions, but they are just that...exceptions.

19. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

What kind of insurance / appraisal would you guys and gals suggest for someone like me? I know how much I have in the car as I have almost all the receipts - I'm not sure how to calculate my time. The car also doesn't look like it would be worth as much as I have in it to most people. I currently have minimal coverage on it through State Farm as it has only been out of the garage twice in 2 1/2 years. Anyone know if they offer some kind of agreed value insurance for someone in my situation? I'm close to getting it on the road so I will likely need to increase my coverage soon.

20. boldventure

boldventure

Kustomkarma,
    Here is a link to a "find your guy" page on our website. There are two AAN offices in Fl.
    http://autoappraisalnetwork.com/local_appraiser.php
    You can PM me I'll send you some information I've gathered to assist in your decision.
    Your could also Goggle [collector car insurance] and just start clikin' and reading. Most providers have online quote generators and "800" numbers and would be glad to advise you further.