Register now to get rid of these ads!

You Cali Hot Rodders doing okay with the quakes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Byron Crump, Aug 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

Just was reading about how you guys are getting rocked a bit today.

Hope nobodies car gets damaged by falling stuff.

Take care guys!

2. Special Ed

Special Ed

That's news to me...

3. John Denich

John Denich

huh where??? not by me!!!!

4. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

It was in the Gulf of California which is actually off the coast of Mexico.....didn't feel anything here in LA.

Thanks for thinkin of us though........

5. Nothing out of the ordinary!

6. Garage Concepts

Garage Concepts

Me to...

7. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

Sorry, I thought it would be felt all over since they keep saying they could feel it in Arizona and such.

Source: Reuters
    (Adds detail, changes dateline, pvs WASHINGTON)

TIJUANA, Mexico, Aug 3 (Reuters) - A strong 6.9-magnitude earthquake struck off Baja California in northwestern Mexico on Monday, shaking buildings as far away as San Diego, California, and raising fears of a small tsunami.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake struck inside the Sea of Cortez, 76 miles (122 km) from the town of Santa Isabel on the Baja California peninsula and was 6.2 miles (10 km) deep. The figures were revised from its initial estimates.

There were no initial reports of deaths or serious damage. Baja California, home to desert and mountains, is sparsely populated.

The quake was felt strongly in San Diego just across the border from Mexico and City Hall was evacuated, local media said.

"It felt very calm, there was barely a vibration," said hotel receptionist Graciela Alvarado at a motel in the town of Caborca, in the Mexican state of Sonora, across from Baja California.

Local authorities and the USGS warned there was a risk of a small, localized tsunami in the area but no official tsunami warning for the main Pacific coastline.

"There's a very high risk this could occur," said Baja California emergency services director Alfredo Escobedo.

The area attracts U.S. tourists. (Reporting by Lizbeth Diaz in Tijuana and Cyntia Barrera in Mexico City)

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We have them here every day, more than once a day. Some you feel, most you don't.

In any case, they are over in seconds. No "earthquake alley" or "earthquake season" here.

Now if we could just find some water.

9. Our San Diego office felt it pretty good and our Tijuana plant rocked a bit.
    Nothing up here in the OC though.

10. Brahm

Brahm

didn't feel anything up here.

11. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

Is a 6.9 big anyway? I have no idea really.

Where I am at you don't want to hear the words "F5."

12. Special Ed

Special Ed

What time was it?

13. 11:59 Cali time

14. Here all we hear is F-U,serious they say it was felt here so go figure......oh and its 112 on my front porch in the shade

15. 50stude p/u

50stude p/u

On the Rachter scale, each number is 10 times as big. a 6.0 has an amplitude 10 times bigger than a 5.0. so a 6.9 has double the amplitude of a 6.8 if i remember correctly. We had a 6.8 in seattle in 2001 and that did some good damage. It really depends how far you are away from the epicenter

16. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

nothing here, outside of Pasadena
    [​IMG] 88°F
    just another lazy day

17. 6.9 is pretty damn big. I was in Hollister, CA during the The Loma Prieta earthquake which was the same size. Per wikipedia, aka the Quake of '89 and the World Series Quake, was a major earthquake that struck the San Francisco Bay Area of California on October 17, 1989 at 5:04 p.m. local time. Caused by a slip along the San Andreas Fault, the earthquake lasted approximately 15 seconds and measured 6.9 on the moment magnitude scale (surface-wave magnitude 7.1). The quake killed 63 people throughout northern California, injured 3,757 people and left some 8,000 to 12,000 people homeless.

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

^^^^ that was a good one. 6.9 earthquake made that double decker freeway in Oakland collapse on itself, as well as the Marina District in San Francisco had major damage 70 miles away from the center. when we have one right here in the Bay Area look out... it's gonna be a mess.

19. During the '89 quake, I just remember seeing my dad's 1977 Ford Truck bounce 4' off the ground like a toy! And the 15 seconds felt like a lifetime.

20. 61TBird

61TBird

You need to work on your Geography.
    "Cali" is in Columbia,South America....

21. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

Wow, we used to only have grammar police on the internet.:rolleyes:

22. willymakeit

willymakeit

Come to Mo. We have the F's and the earthquakes [New Madrid], was supposed to be a 9 on Richter. Happened approx. 160 yrs. ago. Hope it doesnt happen when I'm here.

23. Yup and we have a fault up this way. If it goes we are all fucked, Yellowstone is one the edge of it! Think Krakatoa in the west.

24. flynstone

flynstone

hmm i thought cali was short for California do you try to correct arnold or do you think its colyfornia,,,,,any how did not feel any thing here thanks for asking

25. Gruizer54

Gruizer54

No doubt Betty, when that happened I was 11 years old and I was taking a shower. I got thrown out and in those 15 seconds I had enough time to wrap a towel around my waste and run to the dining room to hide under the dining room table where my mom and sisters were. I dove a little prematurely (think Willie Mays Hayes in Major League) and my towel stuck to the carpet but I kept going and I crashed into my family butt naked! It's funny now but man was i scared.

Not looking forward to the next Big One.

26. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Impressive, I learned something today, thanks bro.

27. there was one a few days ago that knocked new paint cans off the counter in my kitchen so i spent 3 hours that morning cleaning up 2 gallons of paint off the tile floor

28. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

I didn't feel anything or hear anything on the news.

29. 61TBird

61TBird

What does an Earthquake have to do with Traditional Hot Rods?
    Since this may get closed soon,I'll answer my "critics";

Name another State that has the name "shortened"?
    I can see calling a Guy FROM Texas "Tex",do you call the State Tex?
    How about Washington,do you call it "Wash"?
    For North Dakota or North Carolina is it just "North" according to your "Hip Lingo"?
    And No,I do not have one of those Moronic "Nor Cal" stickers on any of my vehicles.
    When I hear the word "Cali",it sounds like a (traditional) garden rake being dragged across a chalkboard.

http://www.tnellen.com/cybereng/lit_terms/irony.html

No Problem ,You get the Gold Star(Chain) for sensing the sarcasm in my original response.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  30. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Slip or slide Fault, quake depth ..etc......has alot to do with detecting motion....as well as soil density ... like someone commented we have 2.1 , 1.1 even 2.9 almost every other day or so some very deep ....it all depends

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.