Register now to get rid of these ads!

all self contained AC unit ???? WTF

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by smith32, Aug 3, 2009.

1. smith32

smith32
    BANNED

a non hot rod buddy of mine was telling me a few days back that he saw somewhere that someone was now making a 100% self contain AC unit for custom vehicles........ he said it was really small.... similiar to the size of an old skool ford kneekicker and all it required was mounting and a 12 volt source and ground............. i find this hard to believe but hell who knows with nowadays technologies.......... He thought that it was Be Cool that was making it..... i just searched their site and didnt see anything

anyone heard or have proof that something like this exist ?

2. BISHOP

BISHOP

I call Bull Shit on this one. The air conditioners for golf carts are big enough they have to be put on the roof. You also have to put ice in them.

3. duste01

duste01

I bet if you crack the lid, it comes with the cold beverage of your choice too.

4. BISHOP

BISHOP

Hahaha...........yep.

5. vertible59

vertible59

Use the H.A.M.B. search, because there was a thread on here, a while back, about just such a unit. As best as I can remember, the unit was larger than a hang-on and maybe went in the trunk. Anyhow, the poster worked for the company developing the unit, I think.

6. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

OK, this is a side track, but come on, air conditioners on golf carts? WTF? How f'n lazy and pussy can golfers get? It is enough the fat asses can't walk and carry their clubs anymore, they need to ride around in air conditioned golf carts now too? Sport?, yeah that's a real sport there. May as well just sit home and play it on TV or hire someone else to play the golf for you and you just pick up the score at the end and sign the ticket. Damn, that is pathetic.

7. manyolcars

manyolcars

8. RAY With

RAY With

Well some how I cant see where an ice chest with fans would be considered a air conditioner. So I call it BS but dont take my word for it-Just click on the meter. It dosent lie!

Attached Files:

9. FlatheadPat

FlatheadPat

Referencing an old thread that came up about the difference between a street rod and a hot rod..

The guys with the airconditioned golf carts are probably the same guys that pick up the phone and order a "Street Rod" from someone like Boyd Coddington and when it breaks down they call Triple A..
    Same kind of guys ride Harleys.. we call em credit card bikers. They buy a new bike on credit, order all the Harley Paraphenalia and put it on the credit card but haven't even a clue how to change a spark plug.. Let 'em try and ride my '41 military Indian with left hand throttle, foot clutch and stick shift that gets a valve adjustment twice a season.

To stay on topic... I've got air in my '51 Shoe.. it's called wing windows.

10. rusty28a

rusty28a

We all know that in the process of creating cool air, the system creates a large amount of heat, that has to be displaced somewhere other than inside the car.

11. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Our Bobcat has one,,its about Cart size and lil 4 cylinder diesel,,not sure if self contained or not ,,but not like theres alotta room for an AC unit

12. RodLand

RodLand

13. $4600, wow, a bargain at twice the price!

14. Ice man

Ice man

An air conditioner, or any refrigeration unit, does not cool the air, or food, or what ever. It removes the heat from what ever. So in the moring when you go the the frig for coffee stuff you feel the heat blowing on your tootys. The refrigerant gas absorbes the heat molocules and takes it to another place to get rid of it. Thats the purpose of the condenser. It also removes heat from the compressor in the process. So it not magic, but I have not seen a unit that simply COOLS with out expelling the waisted heat heat some way. My 3 cents. Ice man

15. dawg

dawg

I thought the expansion of the compressed freon cooled the condenser, and the air blown over the condenser warmed it causing the heat exchange, or cooling effect?...

16. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Look for a plug and play AC unit soon. At least plug and play once you cut a heat vent to blow the heated air outside the passenger compartment.

Wanna know why? Hybrid cars. If you don't have a piston engine running all the time then it's hard to run a traditional AC compressor. So as those technologies move forward, the technology for plug & play AC will get dragged with it.

17. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

Thank you....I try to explain that to customers when their cars come in the shop...The air isn't cooling...Hmmm...Must be working then...What do ya mean?....Well air cond. doesn't cool....Yes it does!!...No it removes heat....What?!?!?...Oh never mind, give me your keys I'll fix it...

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  18. Hey Stude_Trucks..............what's your problem? Too young to give a rats ass about our elders? Too spolied? Don't play golf? Just don't care? WTF is your issue anyway?

All golfers who drive carts are not "fat asses" as you infer. Some are your elders who just enjoy the game, but can't walk well or cannot take the heat. Some are just lazy yes, but they represent a very small group.

I no longer play golf because I am too tied up with the HAMB and drag racing when and where I can. But, if and when I return to golf, I will have to use a cart. Maybe not one with A/C, but a cart just the same.

Smile boy, your time will come.

19. squirrel

squirrel

Just get a big peltier cooler. And a really big alternator to run it.

20. rusty28a

rusty28a

"Smile boy, your time will come." Here Here!!!

21. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

Tardy?.. i don't feel tardy. I brought my pencil!

22. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

You hit the nail on the head! Good job, you got it first try.

I don't think my post was necessarily directed at people who might actually need a cart for age or debility reasons. it was more about putting AC in golf cart so the game isn't so uncomfortable to do. We both know that most people using AC in carts don't really actually need it. It is just a comfort thing as if golf is just too hard and not fun enough for them when it is hot.

But, yeah, I hate golf. Plain and simple. It is not a sport. It is about as lame a piece shit waste of time as I can imagine. Need any more info on my opinion of it? You don't like my opinion and it pisses you off that I hate golf? Well, who gives a shit? Go play golf in AC carts if you want. I don't care. I just think it is lame. If you don't like it, I guess that is your problem, not mine. It is just my personal opinion. Why does that bother you so much? Is it that in your own mind you kind of know it is true but feel a bit guilty about it?

I have played golf a bunch of times before and just never could like it. The best part of it for me was the walking and getting out and actually feeling the course. Not riding my fat ass around from hole to hole trying to get my best score. AC and radio?, good lord, please.

I am not any spring chicken and have my own issues to worry with. But, one I can tell you for sure will not be is how I am going to drag my sorry ass around a golf course when I am too old and weak to actually do it.

I like my sports traditional just like I like my cars. If you ever catch me on a course again, you can bet I will be walking and carrying my own clubs. And if it is too hot to do it, I'll be doing something else, just like in the old days. Good luck with your game, have a blast. But, I say stick to the drag racing. It will be a while before we find AC's in a dragsters I hope.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  23. Radio Joe

Radio Joe

The problem with alot of the hybrid suff is it is all high voltage so it wont work in an older car. Trust me, when I first got my hybridsafety training (Yes car manufacturers make you take safety training to even touch their Hybrids) and heard there was an Electric A/C comporessor I was all ears as an option for my corvair. Unfortunately the compressors run off the large battery (around 400 Volts). So unless you plan to change to a $5K battery on your car, it wont work.

I can only hope they will get them to work on 12 volt- Or hell even 24 volt.

24. RichG

RichG

...they're gonna be on the phone for a long, long time...

25. duste01

duste01

Hey, my air conditioner is now out of beverages in-between laughing at this and other threads! You guys are hilarious. Anybody else got a drink t share?

26. duste01

duste01

27. specialk

specialk

OK, to side track back ;)

Yes, I'm a little overweight, but I'm not really lazy. And the reason I ride in a cart is because the vast majority of golf courses don't allow me to walk. If I can walk, I do. The best round I ever played it was 105* and I walked. That said, see the post a couple below yours, because yes, there are golfers who have AC carts, and there are people who buy Boyd cars. It doesn't mean all golfers and all hot rodders suck, does it?

28. Roll with a swamp cooler they have more style anyway.

[​IMG]

29. manyolcars

manyolcars

Come down to Texas and try your cooler.
    You will learn it is worthless