Register now to get rid of these ads!

Don't you hate deadbeat friends???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toqwik, Aug 2, 2009.

1. RichG

RichG

You are only as good as the worst person you associate with, so start looking hard at the people around you and you might realize that some of them (obviously) aren't trustworthy. Thin the herd my man, cut out the deadwood and haybags.

seb fontana and olscrounger like this.
  2. ltex old iron

ltex old iron
    BANNED

i had a friend who begged and begged and begged me for a coupe body i had found for 100 bucks and he said he was going to keep it forever so i sold it to him at the same 100 dollar price and he sells the car afterwards for a profit..i also had my 27 t coupe parked in his shop for a little while and when he came one day and just dumped it in my driveway it was missing alot of parts..then i go to lonestar roundup and i see him with my ex of five yars that i had split with only a month or two before...now his wife divorced him and he doesnthave any hot rods left

3. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

"...now his wife divorced him and he doesnt have any hot rods left "

You must have done like I do, you put a hex on him.

seb fontana likes this.
  4. gorilla

gorilla
    from Idaho

in general friends are over rated...lol I am kind of an anti-social ahole tho...
    I have only a few and those ones I do have would never do that stuff. I am extra picky about friends... but if you do choose to keep questionable people in your friend circle make sure those questionable ones fear you enough to not mess up your stuff...

5. BISHOP

BISHOP

Judge your real friends by how often you eat lunch or dinner together. Trust me on this one.

If you ever want someone to quit hanging around, loan them 20 bucks...........works every time. Damn well worth it in my book.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
    RichG, seb fontana and olscrounger like this.
  6. E Burfield

E Burfield

Some people really suck!

seb fontana likes this.
  7. gearhead1952

gearhead1952

I also believe in what goes around comes around...
    He lost his job and is having hard times so it looks like it already has come around.

RichG likes this.
  8. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If they are deadbeats they really are not friends. I help when I can but have been burned just like everybody. After many years of this I just gave up and don't bother. A lot like gambling mostly you lose.

seb fontana likes this.
  9. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

seems like a variation on this thread comes up every few months or so

A friend of 25 years owed me some dough. After a couple years I started thinking I was being played for a fool, he knew he owed me the money. So I started evaluating our 'friendship' and I came to the conclusion he was never much of a friend at all. If the tables were turned A) he would've hounded me for the money and B) I would've gotten some money off a credit card to pay him back if need be in a timely manner, *OR* made regular payments to the guy.

If you're in debt and don't have the full amount to repay it, you make payments. My ex-pal, that worked in collections, appropriately enough :D , damn well knew this.

So what I'm sayin is, choose your friends wisely, man I only *wish* I'd taken that to heart!

If a buddy will rip off, cheat, lie, or steal from another person...what makes me so special they won't do it to me? The answer is nothing.

I don't have any 'friends' I don't trust. And I can count the number of them on one hand. The rest are just acquaintences, co workers, etc.

A real friend has your back and will look out for your interests...the others, they just look out for self.

Or to sum it all up, as my pal from Trinidad would say, you lie with dogs, you get fleas. True dat.

10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Karma? What goes around? Fuck that shit. I think it's what YOU make of it, how YOU live that sets the outcome. No fate luck or mojo exists. When you find the guy declare your position and get the rest of what you got coming or drop it as a bad move and continue on. That's karma. You made a bad choice in good faith. Times as they are it's gonna happen more often. A friend doesn't keep score and being a philanthopist pays nothing, it costs, so charge for shit or give it away.

11. Diavolo

Diavolo

deadbeat and friend are mutually exclusive in my world. One cannot exist where the other is.

I have a tattoo on my right arm to remind me of the last time a person not worth my time got a favor from me. 3 hours in the er, about a foot's worth of nerve damage to my right arm, two sets of puncture marks...

I'm just not that sucker anymore, anyone asks me for a "favor" and they haven't earned my time, I look at my arm and stare them straight in the eye and say "nope"

12. crackerass54

crackerass54
    from dallas

your too easy, tell me you didn't think that was going to happen, maybe in your gut. you know that sick feeling you got and that theiving gleem in your "friends" eye when you said "i can help you" . no way, my father always told me don't lend it out if you can't live without it, because you won't get it back

13. RAY With

RAY With

I imagine that most of us from the 40's era has been screwed by so called friends. I have been burned a few times in my life time but I have never been able to refuse a friend that needed my assistance or knowledge. Looking back at the bad friends and then the good ones I helped that needed it the good out weigh the bad by far. The rewards of knowing you helped someone will over come your bad experiences in the long run and then you also make better choices of who is really your friend.

14. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

IMHO Paperdog has summed it up prefectly

15. could have been worse
    you could have rented your house to one only to have them ruin it and then stiff you on the money he owes you because your ask him to leave... and he is a hamber
    tk

16. How about a fairly high buck "Friend" who is building a Duece and needed a mock up motor to get his chassis going. Sooooooo since i had wrecked my car and it was all tore apart I said he could use my 1964 289 5 bolt HiPo and C4. Well he gets it all mocked up and says I can come get the motor and trans any time. I did procrastinate until I heard he was moving and went to get it. He had thrown the motor and tranny AWAY!!! I was Pissed!!!!!!

17. mac762

mac762

I once had an older Friend stop me on the way to hand out a beatdown over $50. He says, "Before you go stirring up a bunch of shit sit down a minute." He says, "Man you just paid $50 to never have to deal with that asshole again. You got off cheap." Smart guy.
    We laughed about it and shared a couple of beers. Best advice I ever got out of that guy.

18. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I learned a long time ago; A guy traded me a cord of wood for a chainsaw I didn't need, he took the chainsaw with promise that the wood was to be delivered 'next month'. I've never got the wood, but every year or two he goes out and finds his windshield busted, and don't have a clue what happened.

Now, when I trade, the trade is made on the spot, unless the other guy is an idiot and trusts me to deliver the chainsaw after he's delivered the wood.

When I give it's free whether the recipiant is friend or not. I don't expect anything in return.
    I don't loan a tool, part, or nickle, out that I haven't already kissed goodby.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  19. Howeird46Chev

Howeird46Chev

These people are all making good comments . If you consider that you got rid of the Alpha Hotel for the cost of the trim and handles (?) then it was probably money well spent. Better luck to you in the future..

20. Marty S1

Marty S1

and I trust with my LIFE.

21. After reading all of this I come to the conclusion that I only have one friend.....

22. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

you can usually tell who are true friends if they still come around AFTER you've helped them, or if they only show up when they need something. kinda sucks when you help people out, then when you need a hand , no one's ever around. never used to be like that, but nowadays people are all about me,me,me, and if you can't or won't help them, they'll just go sponge off some other sucker! once i get shit on, i only consider you as an aqaintance (sp) and not a friend.

23. A Little Odd

A Little Odd

I've taken chances with people only to have them rip me off with small stuff but I figured it was worth it in the end for the same reasoning. Here lately people seem to be especially crooked and I've adopted the philosophy of I'll believe it when I see it.

24. Much to be learned from this thread, .......The giving will always give ...the takers will always take... and real friends are like gold.
    Such is life.

25. Verminator

Verminator

How about when they always stop by and give you grief for having too much crap ...then come "shopping" for freebies !!! "are you kidding???? I know what you paid !!!!"

26. scrambled beezer

scrambled beezer
    from sc

I've got my buds, my pals, and people i hang out with. They are good peeps but when the chips are down there's one true friend i know i can call no matter where in the world i am or he is, i know he'll be there and come thru for me and likewise.

really that's all i need

Kayaking and mountain biking in remote locations really makes you take stock of the jackasses you are out with, because that may be the guy that'll jump into a sieve and hold your head above water and find a way to pull you out regardless of his own safety, or just watch you die, literally. When the other guy or gal holds your life in their hands you start to pay attention.

needless to say there have been a few i will never go out on a river with again.

27. One of the rules I live by is.....Don't hang out with losers. Eliminates a lot of problems right there. I try to teach my kids the same thing.

28. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Sadly that's the price you have to pay to weed out a real friend from a worthless human being.

29. All in all I have read this thread and consider my self extreamly lucky!!! At 60 years of age I have managed to weed out all the assholes and as I was just sitting here thinking I have 4 true friends. These are the ones that you can call day or night and will come to your aid no matter where you are. I wish all of us could be so lucky!
    Fuzzy

30. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Question:
    Do you feel it's true that you don't pick your friends,your friends pick you?
    I've been thinking a lot about that lately.

Peace and patience to all of us in good time.