Register now to get rid of these ads!

Joad Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hollywood 423, Aug 2, 2009.

1. hollywood 423

hollywood 423
    from west ohio

Saw The Grapes of Warth on TCM last night. Can anyone tell what kind of truck the Joads drove to Cal.? Not a Ford I do know..

2. I watched it too, although it sure wasn't my first. Didn't I hear Ma tell Tom Joad to hide in the "Willys" when the cops came into camp looking for him?

3. ken1939

ken1939

4. Yep that looks like the one in the movie last night.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm confused, The car was converted to a turck in the movie? The found "survivor" how has a sedan body and the current owner wants to scrap the body and build a speedster? Sounds like the car found the wrong owner, or the owner found the wrong car.

6. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

If I remember correctly, that's what it was in the book. Very interesting segment in the book about going to the boneyard for a rod bearing to replace one that wiped, and doing the repairs in a dirt lot.

7. Mr Mayo

Mr Mayo
    from Huff, ND

8. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

[​IMG]

I heard that once the Joads got to California,some bunch jacked their truck and headed off towards the "Hills?"
    Don't know if they were "reds" or not,just some hillbillies looking for thrills?

9. yeh, that ole' truck sure a hamerin' away in the movie.

10. ken1939

ken1939

Those hillbillys had a cut down olds

11. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by Ranunculous [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I heard that once the Joads got to California,some bunch jacked their truck and headed off towards the "Hills?"
    Don't know if they were "reds" or not,just some hillbillies looking for thrills?

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Those hillbillys had a cut down olds

Yep,they sure did.The response was tongue-in-cheek and intended to be humorous,not factual,
    Besides,both parties were fictitious anyways,,,
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

12. Sounds fishy to me too Bob. That wouldn't be was a movie company or ever a private party would have done after they were finished with it as a prop.
    I wouldn't put it past the previous owner or Mr. Wales to pump the story to add to it's value.

13. RDR

RDR

I know a lot of that BS happens...supposed to be the original..yada,yada yada....remember here a while back when on the net someone was advertising the Corvette from Animal House....well I know who has the real one along with all the pictures and paraphenalia AND copy of the check they paid him from the studio for using the car...he also worked on the set of the movie...it's just sitting in his barn along looking just as it did in the movie....Lotsa liers out there !

14. fortynut

fortynut

Having been a car co-coordinator and bought, leased, rented, renovated, and altered cars for a movie, from my perspective the idea is that whatever you're asked to get to the set on time is all that counts --- because THE MOVIE COMES FIRST AND FOREMOST. What happens to the cars after the fact is of no consequence. And my take on the rental houses that supply them, is that it's a business for them. They're in it for the money. Individuals who sell, rent, or lease their cars, get caught up in the glory of it, but they too, want the money. After a car, or truck, has been in a movie, it retains some of glamor or aura of 'having been in a movie' but is in fact just tin and steel. Prices for some famous 'picture' cars are increased, but one must keep in mind for cars featured in a film, production companies have three or more 'look-alike' cars for various functions, including: picture car, car for the second unit, stunt car, crash car, etc. It's cheaper to have extras than to need something and not have it, because a movie company runs on money. When a movie is over, cast and crew move on to their next job. Cars a production owns outright are like all props , they represent money that can be recouped and are sold off. Hollywood is just a big factory friends. It makes dreams and will chew your pillow up to do it. So, dream on lads. If you should have a vehicle with the correct paperwork, rejoice and be happy. Otherwise, do like the prop makers do when they need something that looks real, make your own.

15. ken1939

ken1939

Wasnt hatn Ryan, just forgot my smiley face :)

16. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Hey ken1939,
    No problem! In a way the Hillbillies Olds is in question as to originality too as there have been several surface and which one did Barris fingerprint? Didja ever see the episode where Jethro was sporting the 442 red truck with all the chrome?
    [​IMG]
    Being from MD,about the only thing I know really well is hillbillies! When in Rome....
    HA!

I'm not Ryan,that's his statement I have for a signature to remind me.
    Best wishes ken! Have a great summer and happy motoring!

I always liked Carradine's character in G.O.W..Now he was an actor!