Register now to get rid of these ads!

August banger meet 2009

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Weeks46, Aug 1, 2009.

1. I'll start it off this month.

I have been working pretty steadily on my banger and hope to have it fired up for the first time on monday. I have most of the chassis put together in mock up form for the moment. I will be disassembling in the near future to paint the whole chassis properly after I get my master cylinder situated and hydraulic lines plumbed. Heres some pics. I also scored a header finally for ferrrr-eeeee. I had to paint the tie rods so thats why the wheels are all toed in :D:D:D. Sorry for the blurry pics camera phone sucks at times.

What have ya'll been up to?-Weeks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  2. noboD

noboD

I just saw my first Roof head equipped Dodge Brothers at the Nat'l meet in Oregon. Four valves per cylinder, OHV and two stock carbs, lots of compression. It sure sounded sweet. I need one of these or a Morton and Brett for my '24.

3. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

NO PICS....:confused:

4. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

look'en good weeks
    later Bill

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I just held a Roof in my hands. no Pics. Forgot my camara. But speaking of a Morton& Brett I not only held it, I brought it home with me. On extended loan for use in a saline situation. And I have Pics.

Attached Files:

6. noboD

noboD

Rich, do you have my shipping address?

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I believe it may have been misplaced. I'll get back to you.

8. I forgot to add that I went into autozone for a felpro head gasket for a model A. It took the manager a little while but after some searching we found that they can order them for a pretty decent price 21.99 is what his computer said. Just thought I would let everyone know that. Part number is 7013C for the head gasket. Its a pretty decent copper head gasket. I will post a pic later.-Weeks

9. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

Update on the high speed squirreliness - I checked my caster with a protractor, it is about 3 degrees. I am reading that at least 5 degrees is good (Tex Smith, original Model A spec), and am hearing that maybe as much as 7 degrees is good. I am running the 5.00X16 Firestone dirt track tires up front and 7.00X16 Firestones out back. Been thinking about switching to 6.00X16 Firestones up front, got a hunch that the slip angles will match better by running the same style of tire front and rear. Should also put more tread on the ground up front.

Anyway, according to my Coker catalog the 6.00X16s are a little more than 2" taller than the 5.00X16 dirt track tires. So I put a jack under my front axle and raised it an inch (half the difference in diameter) to simulate how the 6.00X16s might affect caster. Looks like that inch is good for about one degree of caster on my car.

So I am gonna switch to 6.00X16s and say that 4 degrees of caster is pretty close to ideal. Not sure I am ready to give up what it will take to get that last degree of caster... The next step will be a softer rear spring and spacers to bring the ride height back up so the radius rods don't hit the frame.

Thanks again for the suggestions,
    Will Kimble

10. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

dirt track /farm tires are great in the DIRT. I love the look but on the street they suck. If you wount it to drive nice put a real tire up front any size and pie cut your bones to 7 degrees
    my 2 cents later Bill

11. Doug,

Did you get any pics of the Roof???

Rich- Congrats on the M&B head!

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I could have had the Roof, but I just could not see doing what I would have to do to a rare piece like that when it's not mine. This M&B has been raced a lot in the past so it's ready for whats comming. The guy who gave me the Dodge motor and loaned me the head must have 25 or 30 Chryslers from the 20s nd early 30s in all states or repair. A couple of "nice" looking '31 or so Chrysler 4 door sedans running not rusty, still got fair paint. He's talking about $3000 for one. Trucks, roadsters and coups. he's got 'em.

13. noboD

noboD

Mac, for some reason I can't access my pics to attach or email them. The roof was on a dark blue '27 DB roadster from CAlif. The head and valve cover looks very much like Rich's M&B but is four valve per cylinder. It had a sweet sound to it. The car has an S-10 five speed and IRS rear end in it, and looks stock. JB would have never suspected anything. I think there's a pic on AACA site in DB section.

14. Piewagn

Piewagn

I pie cut mine to 7deg L/S & 7.5deg R/S to compensate for road crown, handles great.

15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The Roof 16 valve head that I saw was not as thick by about an inch, as the Morton & Brett. It had no valve cover and no apparent provision for one. Bob said it was an exposed rocker engine. The head hung out about 2 inches from the block on the exhaust side and had 8 exhaust ports pointing UP. The intake side looked conventional. It was full pressure with oil plumbed to the bottom of the main caps same as mine. Caps # 2 and 4 ( the 1 inch wide mains) were Roof Racing castings much beefer than stock. Bob also had a set of absolutly lovely tubular conecting rods and aluminum 4 ring pistons for the M & B engine. A nice log manifold with side draft Winfield carburators. And a header of course. We noticed that my block has the cast on sort of round bellhousing/starter mount, simular to the earily 12 volt, 3 main motors. As opposed to all the other five main and Fast Four motors he had with the bolt on bellhousing. You would not believe all the early MoPar stuff he has there..He bought this barn a long time ago and the town, Fremont, grew up around it. It is interesting that his place has no address since it was there before the town. You can't Goggle it.

16. Piewagn

Piewagn

Another yellow Banger!! Looks great weeks!

17. noboD

noboD

Rich, I never got to see the header side. The intake looked just like yours with two mountings for stock carbs. To be honest it may have had no valve cover from factory. The owner made an aluminum cover for his. It was on a five main bearing block. Amil is the owner, you may know him.

18. Looks good hope she all works out.

19. A-Wall

A-Wall

motor still runs like poop but i got a box!

my dad and I went on a 6hr trip today to get a box, it's a little rough but I can make it work because I can't find any other boxes around here. this 1920's and 30's stuff is getting hard to come by lol.

Anyway here are some pics i just threw it on with some C clamps, it needs to be spaced up a couple inches and ive gotta make the side panels that go below the box to fill in the gap between the box and the frame.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

yes i know it's a "T" box..

20. andyg

andyg

a-wall,
    it's a special moment when you add that piece that completes and gets it all coming together....cool truck!

anyone have a true pre 1940 banger speed head laying around they would sell??? I've got to get this modern head off.....it's driving me nuts!

21. A-Wall

A-Wall

Thanks man! I really appreciate comments like that. I think it almost brought a tear to my dads eye when he saw it together.

22. andyg

andyg

same way i felt when i picked up an old 32 bed for $75 and put it on my 32 pickup...i was soooo tired of seeing it with no bed!

keep plugging away!

23. Simon

Simon
    from London, UK

Yep a cool little truck

24. Hello again Bangers! Gone for 3 months with gaul bladder issues and glad to be back. It's going to take me a month to get caught up on the thread, but I bet I'll be smiling the whole time though! It's going to be at least another week before the Doctor (and more importantly the wife) lets me near my truck.

A-Wall- Great truck man! Wish I could get my act together and get my bed on.

25. A-Wall

A-Wall

thanks guys! more progress soon i hope. hopefully i can get this carb figured out!

26. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

27. Rich,

I've looked at that page a bunch of times and NEVER noticed the M&B Dodge until today!

Question for the banger crowd- did anyone ever make speed equipment for the early Chevrolet 4 ('20-'28)?

28. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Must have. Louis and Gaston started out making hop up parts for Fords. Surely they had some pretty cool COPO parts in those days. And the Geovani (sp.) car ws fast with a Chevy 4.

29. andyg

andyg

yankee...that's a good question and one that i don't know the answer to...it's kinda funny though....to all the banger guys and gals i know, the chevy head IS the "speed equipment". maybe someone will know.

30. andyg

andyg

who's going to bonneville? me out of vacation time....i have noticed a slight cough coming on though...12 days worth of cough...hummm....i don't know...maybe...1750 miles each way for me.