Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gen light on

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by C5Cruiser, Jul 31, 2009.

1. I have an early 60'S 390ci and I had the Gen rebuilt and replaced the V-reg because the light was constantly on and the batt was not getting a charge. The other night I noticed that when I increase the RPM's the gen light start to get brighter and brighter. The batt is not the one that belongs to the car (somewhat smaller) and it seems to get weaker the more I start the car until it just won't crank. I think that the batt isn't getting a charge.
    What's do you think is going on here?
    Did I hook something up wrong and how do I check it? :confused:

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Did you polarize it according to the manufacturers instructions? Fords and GMs polarize differently so use the appropriate procedure for your parts.

3. I did and it seem to work fine but I just happen to notice it the other night in the dark but the batt is being drained.
    Are there any adjutments that the v-reg would need or should I leave that alone?

4. Sounds like a bad rebuild or Voltage Reg to me. Have em both checked again.

5. I'd double check the v-reg. Even when new they are frequently bad.

6. I'm going to have to start taking it in to a shop. Between work, commute and the house I am having less and less time to work on it. I don't even get to enjoy it as much as I used to. I thought things were supposed to get easier the older you get.
    Damn economy!

7. Sorry just ranting.