Register now to get rid of these ads!

History CHIEFS of San Diego CC - Any History?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DaxxRuckus, Jul 29, 2009.

1. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

[​IMG]

Hey guys, anyone know any history of the CHIEFS of San Diego? I was doing some research on SD Car Clubs, and I know there are some older clubs still around, but was looking for a classic club with history to resurrect.

Any info on the Chiefs, or any of these clubs:

http://www.relicsandrods.com/Cities/SanDiego.htm

That are now defunct would be appreciated.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

some of them are still around, i know one, my dad says he likes them cause they have no rules or requirments aperently

3. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

which one? Any info you can share?

4. I'm pretty sure they are still around as I have seen a few guys wearing their tee shirts at local runs...next time I see one I will ask

5. Special Ed

Special Ed

Yeah, they're around to this day. Check with the Over the Hill Gang in San Diego. I know the Chiefs attend several of their gigs throughout the year. I've seen them at The Streak in Mission Bay every year for the past fifteen years.

I'm in the North County Cruisers that you listed, as well.

6. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

sweet, thanks guys. Any history on your SD Clubs that you can share? Just trying to get a sense of hot rodding history in San Diego.

7. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I'm glad you asked this question.I would also like to know the history of SD Clubs and history.my 51 Merc was from SD and appeared in CarCraft in 57.Maybe someone knows if Phil Sauer the owner at that time was in on e of those car clubs?

8. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

thanks. looking forward to answers...

9. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Piston Pounders was formed in 1957 by students at Hoover high. Three members were at the Hoover 50th Class Reunion last weekend. Still get together for the GNRS and GG Del Mar.

Attached Files:

10. Daddyfink

Daddyfink

Go down to the Malt Shop on Midway, if you haven't already, and ask around. Lots of Coastal Cruisers and Over The Hill folks there on Friday Nights.

11. jimrinob

jimrinob

I'm 4 years late picking up this thread...Did you ever compile a history of the older San Diego car clubs?

12. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

Hey Jim, no never finished putting things together on this. You kinda just reminded me to look into it again!

13. rcavaliers

rcavaliers
    from downey

I'll ask some of the original members of our club, they've been around since the 40s and they knew about a lot of clubs. Brian Darwas resently did a film (" This is Long Beach") about the club and I do recall them mentioning that club, unfortunetly it didnt make it to the film screenings (going on as we speak) but it might be in the extended scenes when it comes out on dvd next month.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. I was curious about this myself a while back. Not really to revive a single club, just more to see how prolific San Diego was in the early days of Hot rodding, and to learn some history. I was surprised to learn we had our own hotrod riot, which in essence was a protest to get a drag strip. We also have our own drop axle, which can upset people of Italian heritage. One thing I found surprising was on O'Brien truckers website they have a list of clubs and plaques and there were a few from San Diego.
    -Sean

15. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Best know club in SD in the fifties was the Prowlers. Still see some of them at GG in Del Mar.

16. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

Lots of the old clubs are still around. Hit up some of the summer car shows and you will see them. I don't have the link but somewhere on the web is a site that lists a lot of them. I have lived all of my 50 years here and back in the day Friday nite cruising was in full force all over the county.

17. malcolm1943

malcolm1943

My older brother was in the Globe Pacers, this club was composed of guys from the La Mesa, Lemon Grove and El Cajon areas. They built a 39 Chevy gasser with an Olds engine and rear end, B&M hydromatic trans and Hellwig suspension. I went with them to Paradise Mesa Dragstrip many times. They also entered the first Pomona Winternationals, losing to the Reath Bros. coupe. The driver was usually Donnie Branch orhis brother Wayne. Some of the other members names are Marty Stuhler, Merle Rhoads, Kelman Aiken, Roy Robinson and my brother Ken Campbell. Don't know how many are still around other than my brother. Merle had a hot rod shop in El Cajon about eight years ago, don't know if he is still doing work or not, he was a master body man and was training a couple of younger guys the last time I visited his shop. Haven't been home for about that long since I moved to the Inland Empire area in San Bernadino county. Hope this helps you out, try looking up some of those guys and if you find any of them they could give you more info.
    Malcolm

18. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

My brother was in the "Hot Heads" in '59 and '60, while serving in the Navy, and stationed at Miramar. He moved back to Oregon in '61, and he still has his plaque. The funny thing is he is now a San Diego Roadster club member, to go along with his salt racing activities. Here is a pic of him and his Chevy powered Stude in '60 wearing is "Hot Heads" 'T' shirt.

Attached Files:

19. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, San Diego rodders, I live in San Antonio, TX. and would like to buy a Prowlers t-shirt. I will take super care of it and only wear it to LonestarRoundup in Austin and to funerals. I drive a '32 Highboy roadster with steelies and a '40 2-dr Sedan with steelies, both Fords, and Chevy powered. I could trade for an Austin Speed Shop t-shirt. That is Jesse James' shop. Since I am on the long side of 66 years, I will also try to acquire a t-shirt from Over-the-Hill-Gang. If you can, please notify me at 1810 Summerwood Dr, San Antonio, TX. 78232. Thanks for the consideration. I wear 2xl, or xl if no 2xl. Cell ph:210-414-4831.

20. Special Ed

Special Ed

A funny story about the Prowlers ... When Chrysler Corporation sent the Prowlers car club a cease and desist order in an attempt to protect what they felt was THEIR name used on their recently released Plymouth Prowler, the car club had to defend themselves. The Plymouth Prowler came out in 1997. The Prowlers car club has been in operation here in San Diego since 1947.
    Can you imagine a small car club being hassled by one of the largest corporations in the world? Chrysler has thousands of lawyers at their disposal. Anyway, after years of wrangling with them, the Prowlers of San Diego convinced a judge that they have a few rights, too. Their name is now copyrighted all legal-like, and yes, they are still an active club ... :) ,and the Plymouth Prowler is a discontinued automotive has-been.

jnaki likes this.
  21. rcavaliers

rcavaliers
    from downey

Interesting story Special Ed, luckily Chevrolet never came after us for the Chevy "Cavalier" name! Lol

22. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

Hey Sean, what does this mean? :confused:

23. He is referring to "Dagoed" front axles. Just an old term for a dropped axle that supposedly originated in San Diego, hence the name. Italians could be offended by the name for obvious reasons if one didn't understand where it really came from.

24. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

ahhhh makes sense. Thanks

25. Yeah have seen a few folks get upset at that one. You can almost hear the collective ohhhh? sound come out of the computer upon explanation! LOL

26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

In Santa Clara, 1954, rakes were just coming in...an older guy, Johnny Perreira, corrected me when I said his Deuce was 'Dagoed'. He said it had a "Portagee Dip."
    Everybody laughed loudly, (they were mostly Portuguese guys, sons of farmers, First Generation, most)

We called rakes 'Portagee Dips' for years...

27. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Ed Stewart (sp?) was the the MAN when it came to dropped axles. Paul Sheiffer of flywheel/clutch fame, Bruce Crower, Autopower, Vesco and Dragmaster were just a few of the Speed Equipment Manufacturers calling San Diego County home in the fifties.

There was Drive-inn where Drew Ford is now displaying San Diego county car club plaques over the entrance in the late fifties. What a "barn find" that would be!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  28. Yep, we have a few patterns from the 1950/60's that say San Diego on them (could be San Diego TX though):

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="630"><colgroup><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:1536;width:32pt" width="43"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:10780;width:227pt" width="303"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:5376;width:113pt" width="151"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:4721;width:100pt" width="133"> </colgroup><tbody><tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl63" style="height:14.4pt; width:32pt" align="right" height="19" width="43">10943</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-left:none;width:227pt" width="303">1/4 Masters</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-left:none;width:113pt" width="151">San Diego</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-left:none;width:100pt" width="133"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl63" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="19">11115</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Asphalt Angels</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">San Diego</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl64" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="19">8373</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Assyrians</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">San Diego</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl63" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="19">10429</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Bent-Eights</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">San Diego</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl63" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="19">11101</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Celtics</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">San Diego</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl63" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="19">10514</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Charioteers</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">San Diego</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl64" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="19">7807</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Coachmasters</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">San Diego</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl64" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="19">8316</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Coasters</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">San Diego</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl63" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="19">10069</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Cobras</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">San Diego</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl63" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="19">10318</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Crusaders</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">San Diego</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl63" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="19">11242</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Crusaders</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">San Diego</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl63" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="19">11260</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Docs, The</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">San Diego</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl64" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="19">7833</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Drifters</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">San Diego</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl64" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="19">6956</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Elites</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">San Diego</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">California</td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl64" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="19">8232</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Falcons</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">San Diego</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl63" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="19">11259</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Gabriels</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">San Diego</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl64" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="19">8294</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Gear Lords</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">San Diego</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl64" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="19">7755</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Globe Pacers</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">San Diego</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl64" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="19">8843</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Injectors </td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">San Diego</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl64" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="19">3709</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Majestics</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">San Diego</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl64" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="19">6625</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Matadors</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">San Diego</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl64" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="19">8788</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Piston Pushers</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">San Diego</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl63" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="19">12245</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Prowlers</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">San Diego</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl63" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="19">12275</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Prowlers</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">San Diego</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl63" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="19">11309</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Quarter Milers</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">San Diego</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl63" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="19">11357</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Quarter Milers</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">San Diego</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl63" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="19">22374</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Revmasters</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">San Diego</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl64" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="19">2965</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Road Angels</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">San Diego</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl64" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="19">8379</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Road Errants of San Diego</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">San Diego</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl64" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="19">2781</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Road Hawks</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">San Diego</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl63" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="19">10096</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Rod Burners</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">San Diego</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl64" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="19">8141</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Shift Misters</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">San Diego</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl64" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="19">9065</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Torque-Masters</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">San Diego</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height:14.4pt" height="19"> <td class="xl64" style="height:14.4pt;border-top:none" align="right" height="19">8770</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Vagabonds</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">San Diego</td> <td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> </td> </tr> </tbody></table>

29. CaliChevyV8

CaliChevyV8

Reviving this one, my grandpa was one of the original Chiefs, I’d like to connect up with some of the guys. Any Chiefs around here or anyone know how to track some down?