Register now to get rid of these ads!

ridiculous influx of recent barnfinds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by doctorZ, Jul 28, 2009.

1. RacerRick

RacerRick

Unless its for sale - barn finds are BS. The cars were never lost, are a slow long term project, or 2nd or third in a line of project.

I was storing my OT camaro in a friends barn, along side my 69' Dart - and I saw them on another site as barn finds. Lots of pictures of both cars, under the hoods etc - asking how much they were worth, and how little he thought he was going to pay for them.

After I called up my friend asking WTF was going on, he knew nothing about it. My cars were all over the net as a "barn find" with lots of people speculating. I took one home, and the other to my shop that weekend.

The barn find guy who put pictures of my cars on the site was pissed that someone "scooped" him on his "barnfind" cars. Yeah - the owner did.

2. am i the only sick of these threads???

3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably not...

Man you must be sick of being right on all the time:D

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

there should be a HAMB fine for starting a barn find which are actually just cars for sale.

5. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Can't we just 'tazer' them?
    all i've ever found in a barn is chickens and straw--traditional chickens though;)

6. Screws

Screws
    from Baltimore

The population's getting older. So many nursing homes sprouting up- all the baby boomers are retiring and, well, aging (albeit gracefully knowing they're from the greatest generation). It's a shame....makes you think of how it's gonna be when your (insert responsible family member here) snatches you out of your rocker, sells your rides, and puts you in the dyin' home.

7. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

Please don't get this thread closed because of your personal political opinions. Thanks

As for barn finds, I think that a lot of older pack rat types are sadly dying off and their heirs are, for the first time, seeing what Grandpa had been hoarding. They tell a few guys about it and the next thing you know, one of us is at their door with a fist full of dollars. Our hobby is growing, therefore more of us are out there looking.

8. Vorhese

Vorhese

If you found it on Craigslist, it's not a barn find. Unless the car itself wrote the ad.

9. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

Haha. Good point :D

10. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

Man!! You stole my thunder "THE END IS NEAR".

11. motorhead711

motorhead711

Wish that were true in my neck of the woods. I know of several bitchin old cars that have been sitting in garages and barns since I was in high school. And similiar story most car guys are familiar with, the owners won't sell them. And for years most of these guys that have these cars have been saying the same thing..."yep, I'm gonna fix her up someday, she's not for sale!" My brother and I have been trying to get this 57 210 that has a tilt front end, bb 396, daisy mags and old school corvette style side pipes for over 20 years now. It sits in the same place day after day, year after year and the guy won't sell it. Other rodders in the area have tried to get the car from him too, and no luck. One of our mutual greaseball buddies actually showed up to the guys house with 8000 cash, and this was about 10 years ago. The guy told him the same story he tells everyone, "nope, not for sale, I'm going to fix it up soon." SOON?? Soon has turned in to 20+ years! Well at least we know where it's at, and the dude's house is starting to looky pretty run down, so MAYBE in the near future he'll get rid of it!!

12. Pitbullgoingpostal

Pitbullgoingpostal

I live one mile North of I-20, so I replied...

13. zzford

zzford

Once I found a fiberglass 32 roadster,but, it WAS in a fiberglass barn.

14. I think there are more cars for sale because of the bad economy and older folks dying off. But, the phrase "barn find" seems to be a buzz word/phrase for the moment. Just another category or label for a car. 10 Years ago when people found an old car in a garage or barn they would just say something like "check out this old car I found" It seemed as though "barn find" was rarely used.

15. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I thought this was a hot rod forum, not a polical rant forum...Why don't you stay on topic? Nobody cares what your, nor my political views are.

16. inkmunky

inkmunky

I'm just a noob but to conjecture my opinion, the hobby is growing younger. We're all reading about the greats that started this industry passing on and younger guys, like myself, are wanting to get started in it. The barn finds may simply be coming out of the wood work because more people are looking for them instead of just happening upon them during a drive through the country.

When you actively pursue chasing down any lead available for old cars stored away in barns it's not just happenstance that you find something. It's always been this way but it may very well also be due to the economy. I know the down times have hit everyone but it's making it more affordable(ish) to get started in this hobby or get another project going especially for the younger crowd where money may be even tighter.

The deals are there they just need to be sought out and that's whats been going on.

17. nutajunka

nutajunka

"Barn finds", have been in the mid-west for years. The barns were just good places to store a car or truck that quit running and then slowly over time were just left behind when the owner found something else to drive that was running. I've bought a few like this, but it's usually after the old barn starts to fall down around the cars in there that you notice them. Another good way to find them is to keep a pair of binoculars under your car seat. But still they are few and far in between.

18. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd kill for a find like that......

19. personally i think "barn finds" are overated! does that mean the 37' ford i'm looking at won't be as "cool" because its been sitting in the garage for 20 years not a barn!:eek:

Attached Files:

20. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

not for nothing I know quite a few barns with cars,,but they are'nt cool enough for most folks so they sit,,,lol

21. Lemme guess, Cattleac?

22. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

No BS.

Attached Files:

• cow.jpg
      cow.jpg
      File size:
      3.1 KB
      Views:
  23. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

I wish I could find a cool old car in a barn, long forgotten, here in north Jersey.....but alas, either rust or owners who overvalue them have claimed them all.

24. Depression era people rarely get rid of anything. My parents and my in-laws. were like that... but no cars:eek:

25. KIRK!

KIRK!

Barn-finds are the new flat black. I'm getting into billet-bodied cars now.

26. Jesus H Christ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! everyday i get closer and closer to packing up my shit and moving to Cali... Whats the story with that one Lee??

27. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

This is really funny. Link please!

28. sixfink

sixfink
    from Germany

It's a craze for sure.
    European classic car mags have been picking up the same topic for a few years now in their articles. They also call them barn finds as well, "Scheunenfund" in German. But, since drag racing was never big overseas (unless you count the UK), it's not famous gassers, slingshots or custom cars, but fancy Mercedes gullwing SL, or some pre-war Bugatti or DKW prototypes that only survived because some American GI took interest in (and care for) it.

Oh, while we are at it, "patina" and "patinized" have become equally overstressed terms in our hobby, lately.

29. FIFTY2

FIFTY2

How about compiling a list of all the latest barn finds w/links
    Surely someone has sucribed to all of them!

30. Around these parts the few cars worth having have been stored inside some sort of building mostly barns sheds ... So a crumbling half fallen down shed/barn is always a reason to check out whats in there ..
    Tarp find ....
    Old kiddie pool....
    Old lumber delivery plastic sheet find..

Just does not sound as cool but sure as hell could be..........