Register now to get rid of these ads!

whats the worst hotrod thing you've had stolen

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ltex old iron, Jun 6, 2009.

1. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Luckily, I've never had much of a problem with theft; however, I did have a '64 T-10 four speed stolen out of my yard once.

2. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

I had the grille out of my 55 Bel Air stolen out of a building I was storing it in.This was back in 1978.There were 2 of us at school who drove 55's.The other guy had a grille in his car the following spring.coincidence? I think not!

79 400,4 spd Trans Am while on vacation,The cops found the guy sleeping in the back seat,He had stolen a nieghbors Vette and destroyed it as well.

75 Camaro that I had just put a new engine in.

Caught a guy stealing the stereo out of one of my cars,He took off running and left a bag of stereos in my car,I made a police report and gave them the bag of stereos.About 6 months later the police called and told me to come pick up my bag of stereos.

3. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

Yes, that's correct, was mounted to my truck and stolen while I was in the car corral.

4. 34 Plymouth Hemi

34 Plymouth Hemi

Back in 72 I had someone steal the M22 4 speed from under my 62 Nova. The car was sitting in my parents driveway, under thier carport. Came out of the house in the morning on my way to work.

A solid 1929 Model A Sport Coupe out of a buddies yard. Car was a complete original car that was going to get rodded.

Last summer I had a dirtbag steal the 2 batteries, 70 gallons of gas and a 2 toolboxes out of My Ford Dually. That one also was in the driveway. We were away for a weeks vacation at the jersey shore.

Bob

5. 19-c

19-c

Did ya get to keep her?

6. dragsterboy

dragsterboy

Yup.
    It was stored at my uncle's place.He noticed it gone about 10am and we called the cops.I ended up getting a call about 3pm saying that they found the car.Turns out the he was driving through a seedy part of town when he saw my car.He thought it was a little too nice for the neighbourhood so he stopped to check it out.
    Thanks to him I got my car back.Insurance didn't pay for everything,but who cares.I GOT MY CAR BACK!
    By the way...This is my first car I ever bought.23 years now.

7. I think he meant did you get to keep the girl that was in the car, sort of like the guy a few posts back who got to keep the bag of stereos after six months -

8. dragsterboy

dragsterboy

Nope.I didn't keep the crack whore piece of shit.

9. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I was at an auction at a hot rod shop and I knew the auctioneer . When I was bidding on some parts and the bidding slowed to where the auctioneer knew I was going to get it,the auctioneer threw in a lousy old mildewed, ripped up stuffed chair that I would have been afraid to even touch to throw away. While I was loading all the stuff I bought and thinking ,what am I going to do with that chair since your supposed to take all you bought at the auction.Some old guy looked all around like he was planning the heist of the century,grabbed the chair and hauled ass! I got the last laugh on the auctioneer.

10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Right out of high school, I bought a 70 Swinger 340 Dart, paid cash. Knew a friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend, who was a lot boy at Dodge/Plymouth dealerships, and had a rep for stealing cars through the back gate. A rumor got back to me he planned to take my car. I installed a couple of hidden disabling switches, and an alarm. Then I talked to the guy, telling him what I'd do to the "guy" that stole, or messed with, my car. He never touched my car, and later died in a pursuit, in a stolen car. The only thing that has actually been stolen from me, was a racoon tail hanging from the rear view mirror in my 82 Chevette Scooter, "college car". Someone tossed a brick through the driver door window to take the tail. I don't let ANYONE, including friends, see, let alone spend any time, around my stuff. Butch/56sedandelivery.

11. My eyes are getting bad, I thought the title said the worst thing you had stolen...

Haven't stolen anything since I was 4 years old and Mom made me walk right back into the bait shop we had just exited and give back the grapes I had stuck in my pocket...man was I ever embarrassed...

I can't keep track of all the stuff I've had stolen from me over the years, usually it's rediculously rare (and highly unusable in most cases) stuff that no one here would have any use for, and it usually comes home...via people who know where it came from to begin with, LOL!

12. PORKCHOP76

PORKCHOP76
    from iowa

hmmm i wonder if any thief's are reading this to see what you have had in your garages?

13. Had a 23 tall t coupe and tt pickup bought off a b uddy that had to move back home-moved them from his farm and put them at the next farm over in a barn for storage paid in advance for 3 months till i could fit them in my garage and patio before winter-went back out there 2 weekends later and found the farmer pissed off barn doors broke down,my 2 vehicles and a truck of his and some tractor grilles were gone-he said some guys came out there the weekend before when he was leaving on vacation and asked him if the two 23's that were for sale next door were back over there he showed them they were safely inside the barn-they were the guys i outbid and now they got them for free and them some-i wont make that series of mistakes again !!!

14. A slightly off-tangent revenge story.

I'm making the following up of course, this never happened... ;)

Friend had just repainted his muscle car and had it parked in front of his house. Came out the next day and someone had side swiped and wiped the whole side of the car out. Friend is a car guy and pretty smart, so he picked up a bunch of paint chips that had come off the car that hit his and decided to look for the other car. He drove around for over a week, basically every evening, looking for the car that wrecked his.

He found it. It was parked up someone's driveway about a 1/2 mile away. Sure enough the car was wrecked on one side, and had bits of his paint still embedded in theirs.

My friend is not one to mess with. He came back two months later and grabbed one of their cars, and had it crushed.

Three months later he did the same to another car off their driveway.

After he told me this story I made a mental note not to f with my friend.

15. The doors and tailgate from a 57 nomad......worth a pretty penny today.....

An expensive stereo system from my 56 chevy, it was the damage done to the chevy in the process that really hurt though......

16. X426X

X426X
    from OhiO

Fuckin' thieves have hit me a few times over the years but I've always been lucky enough to get my shit back without involving the cops. Then one of the local crackheads swiped my new US Cargo trailer. He cut two pad locks to get it. I called the local police when I discovered it missing. They didn’t seem too interested but told me I could come down to the station to file a report if I "want to". When I got there it looked like they were having a birthday party for some busty female dispatcher and acted like I was bothering ’em.

The next night I get a call informing me that the crackhead fuck was caught in another county supposedly trying to sell my trailer (and a new Kabota tractor) to an "undercover" sheriff detective for "$400.00". The Hancock county sheriff impounded my trailer then kept it for over four months as "evidence" (the Kabota was returned to its owner after only a week or so in impound). Despite my repeated attempts, the sheriff refused to return my trailer because it was "evidence". The judge and prosecutor invovled in the case ignored repeated calls and letters from me AND my attorney. On my third personal visit up there I finally ran into an old time sheriff sergeant who knew my late father. He made one call then told me I could have it back if I paid the towing and storage fees, $300.00 tow and $12.50 a day storage.

Like a bad dream, it cost me almost $2,000.00 to get my trailer back, not including time taken off work to travel up there three times, dozens of phone calls, and the other trailer I bought to keep racing that year! To add insult to injury the towing company had apparently been using my trailer while they had it as it was beat to hell, scratched up and dirty from heavy use, and the tires were fucking worn out. The crackhead thief was never prosecuted, the charges dropped before the trial because he snitched out someone on an unrelated case. Heard he pulled quite a few more jobs until finally caught and put away somewhere else where they still actually take law enforcement and justice seriously.

At the time, I was a senior research engineer for NHTSA investigating automotive safety defects working very closely with law enforcement. Hell, even a few of my projects lead to some big safety recalls on P-71 Crown Vics (flame shields, wheels cracks). I never did understand why they put the fucks to me, as a victim of theft I apparently had NO rights. I figured they just wanted to keep the trailer for themselves thinking my insurance would cash everybody up. They probably always try that when they impound something nice. The lesson learned? Unless you need a police report for insurance purposes, calling the cops is usually a waste of time and money now-a-days. I’ll save my other "police horror stories" for another time.
    :cool:

17. motorhead711

motorhead711

Several sets of chrome valve stem covers! Damn kids!! What comes around goes around I guess. I had a shoebox full of those things when I was a kid. I've been pretty lucky as far as theft of hot rod stuff goes. Sounds like some of the other hambers have had some SERIOUS SHIT stolen. That's terrible.

18. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I saw that chair, on Antiques Roadshow. Was worth something like $25,000.............:rolleyes:

19. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

The one that sticks in my mind the most.......

I had a shop over off of Parker behind The old Gallery Furniture building. At that time I had a 68 GTO that I was racing and had weld wheels with slicks and front runners. My Father in law at that time moved my car outside one afternoon and couldn't push it back in. He left it sitting outside overnight but it was behind a 6' fence with barbwire.

Well when I got to the shop the next day my car was sitting on blocks right outside the door to the shop. Barbwire fence was cut and my tires and wheels were gone......... Freakin thieves...

20. no55mad

no55mad

The ex got half of everything - tools, cars, HD. That was a real rip off!

21. 1957Custom

1957Custom
    from Tulsa Ok

I had a toploader 4-speed stolen right out from under a '70 Cyclone Spoiler I was putting a clutch into. ad a sectioned & chopped '52 Chevy stolen once too. They must have wanted it bad as they stole it from public storage & it had no engine or transmission!

22. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Being that my first 57 Chev. was stolen by my (Ex) best friend while I was attending night classes at LACC. I would say a little investagation may be in order. My (Ex) best friend has since passed away from cancer (Karma maybe) before I could recipricate. Sounds like I am suspicious dosen't it..

23. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in the mid 70's, I parked my 57 fuely in large shopping center ( it was our main car) in Fresno in the middle of the day. This was in a good area as well--came out after shopping a couple of hours and it was sitting on the hubs--wheels and tires gone !!!--no damage what soever---these guys were gutsy-and musta been quick as well--really pissed me off as insurance gave me a hassle and money was tight as well--scrounged up 4 old mismatched tires and wheels and got it home.

24. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

God I hate thieves! Had my radio stolen in the parking lot of my high school during an art show. (Yeah I'm an art nerd) Anyway, started recalling anyone that may have been in the car recently that may be suspect. Long story short, found the guy who did it, stomped a mud hole in his ass. Years later, he's basically a POS loser meth head that steals from anyone he can. I guess some people don't learn.

25. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

My torpedo heater around Christmas time. I was lighting fires on the garage floor to keep working ,That was many years ago Only lasted 3 weeks Then I had enough money to buy one,They were pricey back then Around 450.00 Also lost a paint gun and a sawzall.Other than that had a carb stolen off a car.I think it was one of the ex girlfriends friend's Could be a coincidence Dumped her and haven't been robbed since exspecially in the same year I dated her.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  26. dragsterboy

dragsterboy

I know this is an "off topic"vehicle,but I just had my 92 chev pick up stolen last night from my driveway.Full roller motor,700r4 and lowered.I spent a ton of time on this thing,just to have some asshole take it.

Attached Files:

27. DWBlietz

DWBlietz
    from California

JAN 1948 HRM off the front seat of my truck

28. outlaw256

outlaw256

my damn pain meds, in the last 2 days!!!!!! i can not nor will i live without my meds.i hope who ever got them enjoys them because im about to end up in hell.again

29. '66 Cadillac ragtop, dropped off at the body shop and 2 days later it was gone. Fast fwd to 11 1/2 months later. I get a call from the state patrol. They found my car because the officer was bored and looking at the hot car list. My caddy come up showing 2 title numbers. Boredom over, he investigates finding it at another shop (happened to be a friend of the 1st shop's owner, hummm) just a day away from being painted, still in the booth. It was confiscated and impounded. It had a lot of work done (didn't run when stolen) so I got to drive it home in final prime! I only wish they would have waited about a week to get it so it would have been painted with a new top by then, but I am OK with it!

The dipstick who had it tried to sue me for the money he put into it! Seems the 1st thief sold it to another thief who sold it to yet another thief and he sold it to the last guy as a "lost title" car. He paid for a title search and Colorado issued him a title so he proceeded with the repairs. Once he lost his lawsuit with me even though I tried to tell him it was MY car 1st and I was not responsible for what happened and all parts are part of MY car, I never heard from him. I hope he had better luck with whomever was responsible for the "title search" that was probably never done.

I also lost a '72 DeVille, didn't fair as well. Engine/trans & new custom wheels/tires gone, new white leather upholstery, car burned. :(

30. My Sanity when I started to play with Hot-rods
    when I was Riding bikes I never had Problems
    because when somebody Steals a motorcycle
    and you ride with Crazy bunch of guys
    a lot of Shit happens to guys that Steal things from bikers
    just my 3.5 cents